Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: EVGA 780I FTW Mobo swap?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:23 pm 

Well, after much thought and consideration, I am more than likely finally going to do the mobo swap. It looks like I may be going with the EVGA 780i FTW mobo. (I'd love to go with an i7 setup, but just cant justify the cost right now.) I've read all the posts, tips, resource collective, etc on this forum regading the mobo swap. However, I've never done a mobo swap before so there are a few things I just want to be certain of.

1) For this mobo, there should be no modding of the wires, cables etc and all the wires will reach everything.

2) All the pretty light colors will still work.

3) The stock heatsink will work with this mobo, but I should clean and reapply some new thermal paste (Arctic Silver 5).

4) Its safe to assume that whatever cables I unplug from the 650i mobo will get reconnected to the new mobo.

Like I said, I've never done a mobo swap before so I am a little nervous, but I assume it should be pretty straight forward and a good learning experience. If anyone has any tips and suggestions I'm all ears.

Thanks.
(edit renumbered questions)

8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600
ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 LGA 1155 Motherboard
EVGA GeForce GTX 570
22 inch UltraSharp 2208WFP Widescreen Digital Flat Panel Monitor
500GB - 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium Edition SP1, 64-Bit
Dual Drives: 48x Combo + 16x DVD+/-RW

Last edited by sandstorm on Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: EVGA 780I FTW Mobo swap?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:38 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

1) Correct
2) Correct
3) Correct
4) Correct

The only suggestion I'm going to make is upgrading the heatsink. If you're going to have it off anyway, you may as well go ahead and do it. You're going to be able to overclock your memory and cpu with this new motherboard, so I'd prefer you to already have a good heatsink installed for when you start the process.

Other than that, buy a good anti-static wrist band, and have an extra long, slim screwdriver. Newegg has some Rosewill kits on sale right now for pretty cheap, and they work great.

Out of curiosity, what's your main reason for upgrading the board? I'm just asking because your current setup is matched pretty well, and you can definitely overclock your cpu if you want with the stock motherboard. If you aren't upgrading the cpu and memory, I'm not very confident that you're going to be all that impressed with the peformance gain.

To be honest, you could overclock your cpu to 3.8GHz with the stock heatsink, and your system will run like an entirely different system.

EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N @ 1500MHz
Dual Corsair Neutron GTX 256GB SSD's in RAID0
Corsair AX1200 power supply
Win7 x64 Ultimate
Lian LI PC-P80B case w/ custom window and lighting
Koolance ERM-2K3U Rev 1.1 (copper) external water cooler
Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 monitor
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Audio System

Post Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:42 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
Good Q&A on the mobo swap...Greg maybe a new addition to the Resource Collective?

My XPS 630 Blog

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:09 am 

Thanks for the suggestions JDookie.

JDookie wrote:
Out of curiosity, what's your main reason for upgrading the board?

I'll admit, I've been contemplating the whole mobo upgrade since I joined this forum after buying my 630i. I have a couple reasons.

First, the fact that the stock mobo is PCIe 1.0 x8. I know. I know. I've read all the posts. Even DrB's very informative chart regarding the lanes and if its really necessary. I do realize it probably won't make much of a difference if at all using 9800GTs. However, I eventually do plan to upgrade to a single high end GPU and feel that having PCIe 1.0 x8 will limit the performance of a high end GPU. I'm just waiting for the new GTX 300 series cards to come out.

Second of all, I've never done a mobo swap before. Its simply something I'd like to learn how to do and know that I can do it.

I realize the 780i FTW is probably overkill for me since I am not an overclocker. The only reason I'm going with this board is because I may have found a new one someone is selling for a decent price.

JDookie wrote:

The only suggestion I'm going to make is upgrading the heatsink. If you're going to have it off anyway, you may as well go ahead and do it. You're going to be able to overclock your memory and cpu with this new motherboard, so I'd prefer you to already have a good heatsink installed for when you start the process.

Do you still suggest a heatsink upgrade even if I do not plan on overclocking?

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:37 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Okay, I see where you're coming from now. PCIe 1.0 x8 would definitely be a reason to upgrade if you're planning on upgrading your video card. If you were keeping the 9800GT, the upgrade still wouldn't be necessary though.

As of right now, there really is no *need* to upgrade from PICe 2.0 x8 to PCIe 2.0 x16, BUT there IS a big difference between PCIe 1.0 to 2.0.

I can also see where you're coming from with just simply wanting to upgrade the board for experience. When I upgraded my stock board to a 790i FTW, I really learned a lot, and it made me understand how everything worked much better. It was a good lesson.

Yes, the 780i FTW is overkill if you aren't overclocking, which brings me to my next question. Why don't you want to overclock? It's extremely easy, and when you do make your video card upgrade, it will almost be a necessity since you're running a dual core cpu. Actually, even when running the fastest i7, which is a quad core cpu with hyperthread technology (8 virtual cores)), its STILL too slow, at stock clocks, to get the most out of these beasts we call gpu's now.

That being said, I can almost promise you that you're eventually going to want to overclock your cpu, even if its only a little bit, so, yes, I still recommend upgrading your heatsink.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:15 am 

JDookie wrote:
Yes, the 780i FTW is overkill if you aren't overclocking, which brings me to my next question. Why don't you want to overclock?

Well, its not that I don't want to overclock. I just don't have a thorough enough knowledge and understanding at the moment on how to do it properly. Heck, I'd never even seen the word overclock mentioned more until I joined this forum :D . Perhaps when I get the new mobo I will read up on it more and start experimenting. However, my work keeps me away from home 4-5 days out of the week. If I'm not spending time with my wife, I'd rather just spend whatever little free time I have to actually do a little gaming instead of playing around with bios settings, running stress tests, and monitoring cpu temps.

JDookie wrote:
That being said, I can almost promise you that you're eventually going to want to overclock your cpu, even if its only a little bit, so, yes, I still recommend upgrading your heatsink.

Alright. Can you recommend a decent heatsink to use with the 780i FTW mobo and E8500? I'm browsing on NewEgg. Do I want a fan and heatsink or just a heatsink?

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:25 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

JDookie wrote:
Yes, the 780i FTW is overkill if you aren't overclocking, which brings me to my next question. Why don't you want to overclock? It's extremely easy, and when you do make your video card upgrade, it will almost be a necessity since you're running a dual core cpu.

At this point in the game, he should go ahead with the mobo swap. Once he start OC'ing the dual core, eventually he might want to upgrade to a quad core. This will allow him the flexibilty to upgrade to a quad core that he will be able to OC (since Dell's famous mobo can't OC the Q9000 quad series). Having the 780i FTW will allow him to use the LG775 format much longer since it has about another 1 to 2 years of usage left.

sandstorm wrote:
Do you still suggest a heatsink upgrade even if I do not plan on overclocking?

I'll get back to you with that one...I need a little time to observe the 780i's cpu placement and then I can give you some suggestions :)

I agree with JDookie on this one but only if you're aiming at moderate OC'ing, the Dell heatsink will be fine. FYI...you might have to order a universal heatsink retention bracket. I believe you will not be able to use that plastic retention plate that's underneath the stock mobo that secures the heatsink.

sandstorm wrote:
Well, its not that I don't want to overclock. I just don't have a thorough enough knowledge and understanding at the moment on how to do it properly. Heck, I'd never even seen the word overclock mentioned more until I joined this forum

That's what we're here for ;) :D

sandstorm wrote:
Alright. Can you recommend a decent heatsink to use with the 780i FTW mobo and E8500?

I can get back with you on that one...need a little time to observe the cpu placement on the 780i mobo. You want to make sure it will fit inside the case properly :)

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:34 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

drBlah,

Can't he just use a Dark Knight? It fit perfectly with my 790i with no modifications or an extra retension plate to buy. It actually came with one for both the 775 and 1366 sockets, and for only 40 bucks.

Overclocked or not, I still think he should upgrade the heatsink. I mean, why not? It can only help, and for only $40, it really doesn't make sense to keep playing with the stock unit.

sandstorm,

Don't worry about the overclocking process, we can get you set up with a mild overclock that will make your gaming experience much better, and with minimal efforts. It's easier than you think, especially with a good motherboard like you're upgrading to.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:04 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

JDookie wrote:
drBlah,

Can't he just use a Dark Knight? It fit perfectly with my 790i with no modifications or an extra retension plate to buy. It actually came with one for both the 775 and 1366 sockets, and for only 40 bucks.

I do not want to say yes too soon. If you look at the comparison of the 780i & 790i cpu placement, you will clearly see that the cpu placement is higher on the 790i mobo. Not sure by how much but it is obvious. Although we were able to get the Xig Dark Knight on our 790i's with no problem, the situation might be different on the 780i. Now I'm not saying it will not fit...honestly I think it will but it could possibly require some minor cutting on the door panel flange...it might. He will never know until he buys the Xig DK & try to install it.

It might be a similar situation with the Megahalems installed on the 790i. fastrhoads & I had thought the Megahalems will fit with no problem but we knew it was going to be a tight fit. Remember what had happened. It was so tight that we had to cut the door flange on the case and on the door panel.

My personal opinion is that it will fit but do not be surprise if you have to do a little cutting on the door flange ;)

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:17 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Ahhh, I see said the blind man. :mrgreen:

You're completely right. The placement of the cpu is obviously different between the two, and from the looks of it, I don't think the DK will work. I know it was a very tight fit with the 790, so he would definitely have to do a little cutting to get it to work on the 780, and I don't think he wants to go through all that.

So what *definitely* fits? The Zalman maybe?

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:11 am 

Hello,
I just wanted to add a couple of comments to this thread since I used a 780i FTW in my 630i before I changed cases. The front panel 1394 wire "does not" reach the motherboard connector. You do need to purchase an extender for that cable if you plan to use your front panel 1394 jack. If you look closely at the picture of the 780i ftw board, you can see the 1394 connector sandwiched between the top pci-e slot, and the pci slot beneath it. In my opinion, it's a idiotic place for that connector. Notice that on the 790i FTW, they moved it up to the edge of the board, where it should be. Other than that, it's a simple swap.
JDookie questioned the Zalman cooler with this motherboard. I used a Zalman 9700NT cooler with the 780i FTW board. It fit, but the cooler had to be angled slightly, and two of the heatsink fans did touch the bottom of the case. At one point, I read that someone on the forum actually sanded down the bottom two fins, so they wouldn't touch the bottom of the case. So, the Zalman works, but not a "guaranteed" fit.
-m. steele

2 x EVGA GTX 260
4Gb Corsair XMS2 @ 850MHz
Corsair 850HX

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:20 am 

Thanks for all the info guys. It is greatly appreciated.

drBlahMan wrote:
At this point in the game, he should go ahead with the mobo swap. Once he start OC'ing the dual core, eventually he might want to upgrade to a quad core. This will allow him the flexibilty to upgrade to a quad core that he will be able to OC (since Dell's famous mobo can't OC the Q9000 quad series). Having the 780i FTW will allow him to use the LG775 format much longer since it has about another 1 to 2 years of usage left.

drBlahMan, you read my mind. Upgrading to a quad core is something I have thought about doing eventually. Better performance than the dual core and not as expensive as a i7 set up. Or after I realize swapping a mobo is not that difficult, you guys may have talked me into an i7 set up. :twisted: Just not right at the moment.

As far as the heatsink goes, let me know what you guys come up with. I think for now though, until I seriously start thinking about overclocking, or upgrade to a quad core, I will proably just stay with the stock heatsink.

Like I said, I'm not home everyday to play on my pc nearly as much as I would like. Games take quite a bit longer for me to finish therefore, extending the technical life of the hardware on my pc.

Anyway, first I need to get the mobo. I am trying to buy it 3rd party, so I have to wait to hear back from the guy. Thanks again for all the help guys.

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:29 am 

steele101 wrote:
Hello,
I just wanted to add a couple of comments to this thread since I used a 780i FTW in my 630i before I changed cases. The front panel 1394 wire "does not" reach the motherboard connector. You do need to purchase an extender for that cable if you plan to use your front panel 1394 jack.

Thanks for the heads up steele. I thought I remembered reading something about that a while ago. I don't have any FireWire devices so I suppose that will not be a big deal.

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:03 am 

drBlahMan wrote:
... you might have to order a universal heatsink retention bracket. I believe you will not be able to use that plastic retention plate that's underneath the stock mobo that secures the heatsink.

I was reading another post regarding the issue with this black plastic bracket. I just want to confirm that this will fit and is what I will need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233020&cm_re=bracket-_-35-233-020-_-Product

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:56 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

sandstorm wrote:
drBlahMan wrote:
... you might have to order a universal heatsink retention bracket. I believe you will not be able to use that plastic retention plate that's underneath the stock mobo that secures the heatsink.

I was reading another post regarding the issue with this black plastic bracket. I just want to confirm that this will fit and is what I will need.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233020&cm_re=bracket-_-35-233-020-_-Product

Are you planning on using the stock heatsink??

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:13 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

sandstorm wrote:
drBlahMan wrote:

It should be fine but no guarantee. Since this is the Dell stock heatsink, the only concern is the thread cut of the heatsink screws fitting the holes of the retention bracket properly (possible trial & error).

Here are some recommended 92mm heatsinks (owned the first 2 heatsinks):

1) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835233014 (can use 2 fans for push/pull; Demonic_Ice is currently using this one; highly recommended heatsink for dual cores)

2) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835233026 (another highly recommended heatsink)

3) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835608003 (heard & read great things about this one but on the pricey side)

Or you can go with the Zalman 9700 as mentioned (very minor & simple mod required)

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:42 pm 

One more question. When applying AS5, do you only apply it to the CPU? Or do you apply it to the bottom of the heatsink as well?

I watched the video on how to apply it. I also remember there was an informative article posted on this forum on how to apply it, but I can't seem to find it. Anyone know which article I'm referring to?

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

Post Posted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:44 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Personally, I just apply it to the cpu (paper thin), and that has worked out just fine for me.

While we're on the topic of thermal compounds, check this out. I switched to Tuniq TX-3 for my new build, and it has worked great so far. Supposed to be even better than AS5, but its a little more difficult to apply.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12ce9FpKO3I

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:16 am 

Ok, mobo, AS5, a basic Rosewill PC tool kit, and a new heat sink http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233026 have been purchased. Unfortuantely, it wont get here before I go out of town this week, so I'll have to put it in next week. I'll give an update after I have it installed.

EVGA GeForce GTX 570

Post Posted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:13 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

sandstorm wrote:
Ok, mobo, AS5, a basic Rosewill PC tool kit, and a new heat sink http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233026 have been purchased. Unfortuantely, it wont get here before I go out of town this week, so I'll have to put it in next week. I'll give an update after I have it installed.

Great :!: Make sure you post some cool pics to L@@k at :)

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:03 am 

Anyone done a mobo repl from a stock Dell 630 w/liquid cooling? My understanding is that the liquid unit for the 630 was designed specifically for this machine. I am contemplating a mobo change as I *do* have one of the Q9400 series in there and want to fiddle with it a bit OC-wise so am looking for advice, gotchas, etc.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:47 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

fdweller wrote:
Anyone done a mobo repl from a stock Dell 630 w/liquid cooling? My understanding is that the liquid unit for the 630 was designed specifically for this machine. I am contemplating a mobo change as I *do* have one of the Q9400 series in there and want to fiddle with it a bit OC-wise so am looking for advice, gotchas, etc.

Are you referring this to the 780i mobo :?: If not, it would be best to start a new thread regarding your concern :)

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:42 pm 

I was wondering in the above image I notice a fan on the block w/ fins that is between the cpu and the first pcie slot. I was wondering what this heatsink is for and if you need the fan on it. I recently ordered a recertified evga 780i ftw my first one that was sent back had no fan and my replacement is fanless as well. Do I need this fan, obviously it can't hurt. I guess my question is more will I damage the board until I get one?

EVGA GTX 260 896 mb's Super Clocked Edition
Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler
Stock 320gb Sata hdd
Unimpressive Western Digital 250gb 5400 rpm IDE hdd
Equally unimpressive Maxtor 200gb 5400 rpm IDE hdd
Stock 750 watt PSU

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:55 pm 

Pardon me for asking a perhaps silly question, but I notice that the captions at the top of the images are identical - are they supposed to be different boards? The layout is different so I am presuming so. If I'm right, would you mind fixing the captions so I know what I am looking at?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:03 pm 

This image is actually from an earlier post in this same thread. I believe from DrBlahman, thank you for the pic:). Anyway the mobo on the left is the 780i ftw. It's the part that has the fan facing where the cpu would be.

EVGA GTX 260 896 mb's Super Clocked Edition
Zalman 9700 CPU Cooler
Stock 320gb Sata hdd
Unimpressive Western Digital 250gb 5400 rpm IDE hdd
Equally unimpressive Maxtor 200gb 5400 rpm IDE hdd
Stock 750 watt PSU

[ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion