Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help

Forum rules

Area for those who are learning the basics of computers and how they work. No question is too "dumb" or silly. Go ahead, ask! Someone here can help.

Area will be moderated to assure everyone is treated with respect.

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Intel DP45SG motherboard in XPS630 (power connector problem)
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:29 am 

Okay so I have a EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard in my XPS 630i case and it recently died so I'm going to replace it with a Intel DP45SG motherboard. I just received the motherboard today, however I was looking at all the connections on the board and it seems that the stock Dell power supply doesn't have the proper pins to fit this board, the problem I'm having is the 8pin CPU power supply wire (P15) used to fit the EVGA 750i fine, but on this Intel DP45SG board the CPU power supply slot is a 4pin slot. Here are some pics of what I'm talking about

old EVGA 750i SLI FTW motherboard 8pin CPU power slot (bottom right)

new Intel DP45SG motherboard 4 pin CPU power slot (bottom right)

I'm assuming there's some kind of adapter that I could get that could make the 8pin a 4 pin. Can anyone link me to which one I would need to make this work?

Also incase anyone is interested here is the Intel DP45SG manual which has a nice diagram with the layout of the board) http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15995/e ... nglish.pdf

If you look at the manual on page 11, the 4 PIN i'm talking about is the 12 V processor core voltage connector (2 x 2 pin) (label N) which I believe is the connector that gives power to the CPU. In the EVGA 750i manual (found here http://www.evga.com/support/manuals/fil ... W-E173.pdf) on page 5, it is label #26 which is called 8-pin ATX_12V Power connector

edit: I've been reading online that you can put in just 4 pins of the 8pin adapter onto a motherboard that only accepts 4 pins, but I'm wondering how safe that is?

4GB RAM @ 800mhz
Windows 7 Home (32-bit) OS
750W PSU
750GB HD @ 7200RPM
EVGA GTX 470

Post subject: Re: Intel DP45SG motherboard in XPS630 (power connector prob
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:49 am 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Good question--I found a similar article talking about just using the 4-pin; basically, it sounds like if you're not into heavy overclocking it should be okay:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... power.html

I guess my question is though--why upgrade to a basic Intel mobo (unless cost is a big issue?) If you can afford it, an i3 (still quite inexpensive) would seem like a better option..?

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post subject: Re: Intel DP45SG motherboard in XPS630 (power connector prob
 Post Posted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:47 pm 

gdonner wrote:
Good question--I found a similar article talking about just using the 4-pin; basically, it sounds like if you're not into heavy overclocking it should be okay:

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... power.html

I guess my question is though--why upgrade to a basic Intel mobo (unless cost is a big issue?) If you can afford it, an i3 (still quite inexpensive) would seem like a better option..?

Thanks for the link, i'll just use 4 pins of the 8 pins and see how it goes lol.

To answer your question, I upgraded to the Intel mobo because of price, I got it refurbished for $40. I've read that the P45 chipset is good for OC'ing the Q6600. This chip is still damn good and I remember having it up to 3.26Ghz on air a few years ago with the stock dell heatsink. Along with this Intel board I've also purchased a Hyper 212 Plus heatsink, so I'll see what kind of OC levels/stability/temps I can achieve with this setup. The Q6600 has served me well and still fits my needs so I see no reason to upgrade to a newer chip. The only chip I would like to upgrade to in the future is the i5-2500k. I really like the idea of a unlocked multiplier, also I've read that it OCs very nicely (above 4Ghz). However the price is still too high for me to justify upgrading. I've seen them go for about $140-$170 used on ebay. I would also sell the Q6600 to offset some of that. I've seen them go for about $40-$50 on ebay.

4GB RAM @ 800mhz
Windows 7 Home (32-bit) OS
750W PSU
750GB HD @ 7200RPM
EVGA GTX 470

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help