Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help

Forum rules

Area for those who are learning the basics of computers and how they work. No question is too "dumb" or silly. Go ahead, ask! Someone here can help.

Area will be moderated to assure everyone is treated with respect.

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Should I return faulty harddrive to Dell?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:14 pm 

Hey all,

Been a while since I've lurked around here. My rig won't POST and after a couple of predictably brutal hours with tech support we narrowed it down to a faulty HD. I've had my 630i since 2008 and it's still under warranty. They sent me a new Western Digital HD that I'm going to install tonight. Dell wants me to send my faulty HD back but also sent me their canned email stating that they "are not responsible for loss of private or confidential data, etc."

Question: Is it risky to send my hard drive back to Dell? It's probably completely busted but I'm worried that some tech might be able to access some of my files (old tax returns, etc.) and get my personal information. I'm wondering if instead I should just bite the bullet and buy a new hard drive myself and completely destroy the faulty one, rather than risk personal files being sent to god knows who. The Dell rep says that they do a reformat if they find the drive serviceable, or they just destroy it if not, and that there is no risk to data or personal information being compromised on the returned hard drive.

Am I being paranoid? :shock: I would rather Dell pick up the cost for the new hard drive (which they've done) rather than paying myself. But I'm not sure if I should risk it over a $100 hard drive.

Also, should I try to hook up the old hard drive as a secondary drive after doing the new install on the new one to see if I can access any old files and delete them before sending the faulty drive back? Not sure if this will work or not.

Thanks! Any advice is appreciated.

Dual 512MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT - SLI
2 X 500GB SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
Creative XFi Xtreme Gamer
Vista 64 bit

Post subject: Re: Should I return faulty harddrive to Dell?
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:18 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Quote:
Am I being paranoid? :shock: I would rather Dell pick up the cost for the new hard drive (which they've done) rather than paying myself. But I'm not sure if I should risk it over a $100 hard drive.

Knowing at least two people who have gone through identity theft, I would say "no, you can't be too careful." Use something like Eraser (http://www.filehippo.com/download_eraser/) to eliminate the possibility of private data getting into someone's hands.

I would definitely try connecting it after erasing it and verifying that the data is gone. At that point, only someone like the NSA/CIA/FBI is likely to be able to recover anything from it.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:31 pm 

Thanks, gdonner. Do you know how I'm supposed to use the application if the system won't POST? Can I erase the hard drive after I've already installed the new one or via a bootable disc?

Thanks!

Vista 64 bit

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:02 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Dell does not deal with the salvaging and destruction of data. The drives Dell recieves back go to their respective manufacturers where data destruction is carried out on the internal disk, and the drive is refurbished (if salvagable).

A long time ago, I had an XPS Gen 2 notebook, and after 5 years of good service, the hinges were worn out and it was having a freezing issue. Dell replaced the system with an M1730 since they had no parts for it anymore. A month later, Dell sent me back my original HDD in my XPS Gen 2 to keep in case I want my data from it.

I wouldn't worry about it buddy. But if you feel safer, just buy a new hard drive. But at least verify that the drive is the problem first when Dell sends you the replacement drive. Otherwise you will waste money buying one yourself.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:52 pm 

Thank you both. I was thinking that I better make sure that the hard drive is the problem before spending money on it. I think I'll install the new one to make sure that solves the problem. And then I'll attach the old faulty one and try to run Eraser on it. If that doesn't work, I'll just buy a new one. Most likely nothing would happen to the data, but I'm not sure if it makes sense in this day and age to take that risk.

Vista 64 bit

Post Posted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:19 am 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Quote:
Do you know how I'm supposed to use the application if the system won't POST? Can I erase the hard drive after I've already installed the new one or via a bootable disc?

As you've already noted :) yes, you should be able to easily connect/add it to one of the available SATA ports and erase it.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

[ 6 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help