Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help

Forum rules

Area for those who are learning the basics of computers and how they work. No question is too "dumb" or silly. Go ahead, ask! Someone here can help.

Area will be moderated to assure everyone is treated with respect.

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Replace HDD and Install Windows 7
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:26 am 

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I have a stock Dell XPS 630i that I’d like to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7. It still has its original motherboard. It’s configured with Windows XP in a RAID 0 configuration (two 240 GB HDDs). 4 GB RAM. The graphics card is a Nvidia GeForce 8800GT. The BIOS version is 1.0.5.

I’ve recently purchased a new WD Blue 1 TB internal HDD and a copy of 64-bit Windows 7 OEM. I’d like to remove the two existing HDDs, install my new 1 TB HDD, and do a clean install of Windows 7 onto it (not using a RAID array) and use this set up going forward. For now, my preference would be to keep the existing BIOS since it seems to be functioning properly and I don’t want to risk bricking the motherboard to update it.

I’ve copied my important files off the machine onto an external HDD. I don’t have any immediate plans for the old HDDs and OS. But, I want to hang on to them for now (and avoid deleting their data) in case I need to go back and reinstall them for some reason.

What steps should I follow to accomplish this? Do I physically remove the two existing HDDs, then install the new HDD, then power up enter the BIOS, break the RAID array, set the BIOS to boot from the CD/DVD drive, then load the Windows 7 CD/DVD into the CD/DVD bay and proceed?

Since this is a new Windows CD/DVD, I’m not sure what do regarding any NVIDIA drivers that I may need. Will there be an option to download them at some point during the installation? Will Windows 7 OS not install because the CD/DVD likely does not the NVIDIA drivers on it already?

Thank you in advance for any advice that anyone can offer.

Andy

Post subject: Re: Replace HDD and Install Windows 7
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:42 am 

I think you've listed the required steps just fine. Windows 7 should provide all--or at least most--of the drivers you'll require. Drivers for Windows 7 can still be found at the Dell Support site if something doesn't work. After you get Windows installed, just check Device Manager to see if any devices have a "bang" (!). Then you can usually search Dell or the manufacturer for a driver.

It is possible that your old BIOS might cause issues with Win7, but I don't know for sure. The latest on the Dell site is 1.0.13.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-630/drivers

Latest Build: Skylake i7-6700K | ASUS Z170i | NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler | NZXT Manta Case | Seasonic Platinum SS-660 | Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2| G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666 | MSI GTX 950 | Windows 10 | Dell 24" 1920x1200 x2

Post subject: Re: Replace HDD and Install Windows 7
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:21 am 

Thanks rchris! I'll give it a try this weekend to see how it goes.

Andy

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help