Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help

Forum rules

Area for those who are learning the basics of computers and how they work. No question is too "dumb" or silly. Go ahead, ask! Someone here can help.

Area will be moderated to assure everyone is treated with respect.

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Single beep sequence, no video output when powering on
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:20 am 

Short version:
PC has a single beep sequence and no video output when powering on. Did some basic hardware experiments to try to isolate/eliminate the problem, but it didn't help. Talked to Dell and they advised me to replace motherboard. Replaced motherboard and the problem is exactly the same. I am wondering if it is the CPU. Any help would be much appreciated. System details at the bottom of this message.

Long version:
I have noticed over the last month or so that I would randomly find my XPS 630i had no video output, but appeared to be on. I would have to hard power cycle it back on and it would work for days, however I did notice that the fans in the PC (I think the video card fans) would constantly spin at the high levels that usually only occur when the PC is booting up or when really being pushed. Last week I found the PC in the aforementioned state again, but I noticed a very loud beeping sound coming from the PC. Power cycling didn't help. The beep appeared to be a single beep that lasts for about 1 second, then would stop for about 1 second, and then the beep cycle continues until you power off the PC. There is no video output, so I cannot see if there is diagnostic/error being displayed by the PC. I tried some basic things like testing the memory sticks (one/two at a time, in different combinations), switching the two video cards in the available slots, using/switching just one video card in the two available slots, but none of this helped. I called Dell and got to an after-warranty department and they determined by hearing the beep over the phone that the mother board was defective and needed to be replaced.

After hearing the price they wanted for a new motherboard, I bought one from another site. I installed it yesterday and when I powered it up, I got the same beep. Went through the same basic tests and it didn't' help either. I supposed the motherboard I bought could also be defective. I am wondering if the CPU might be bad, or maybe the video cards, but if it is the video cards it seems like they'd both have to be bad based on my tests. BTW, the "single" beep, if you listen closely sounds like a lot of short beeps in a sequence. I'm still counting it as one beep as it really isn't possible to count those small beeps as they are very fast. Any help would be much appreciated.

System:
XPS 630i
Intel Core2 processorE8500 (3.16 GHz,1333FSB) w/Dual Core Technology and 6MB cache
4GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
Nvidia GeForce 9800GT Dual Scalable Link Interface (2 video cards using SLI)
SATA 2 RAID 0 With Dual 500GB Hard Drives
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition English

Post subject: Re: Single beep sequence, no video output when powering on
 Post Posted: Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:40 pm 

If you haven't already done it, your troubleshooting should for sure include trying the video cards out one at a time. (I'm surprised your 9800GTs have lasted this long.)

If neither card changes the issue, I'd probably move on to testing/or swapping out memory chips. Then the power supply. CPU is the least likely culprit (but of course a possibility).

The beep codes are supposed to provide clues, but I don't have a key available. Maybe someone else can help there.
Best wishes.

Latest Build: Skylake i7-6700K | ASUS Z170i | NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler | NZXT Manta Case | Seasonic Platinum SS-660 | Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2| G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666 | MSI GTX 950 | Windows 10 | Dell 24" 1920x1200 x2

Post subject: Re: Single beep sequence, no video output when powering on
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:54 pm 

Code

1 Beep - BIOS checksum failure. Possible motherboard failure.

Suggested Remedy Contact Dell

2 Beeps - No memory modules are detected.

• If two or more memory modules are installed, remove the modules, then reinstall one module and restart the computer. If the computer starts normally, continue to install additional memory modules (one at a time) until you have identified a faulty module or reinstalled all modules without error.

• If available, install working memory of the same type into your computer

• If the problem persists, contact Dell

3 Beeps - Chipset error. Contact Dell

Time-of-day clock test failure.

• Replace the battery

Gate A20 failure. Possible motherboard failure. Contact Dell

Super I/O chip failure. Possible motherboard failure. Contact Dell

Keyboard controller test failure. Possible keyboard failure.

• Ensure that the cables are connected
properly.

4 Beeps - RAM Read/Write failure.

• Ensure that no special requirements for memory module/connector placement exist

• Ensure that the memory you are using is supported by your computer

5 Beeps - RTC power failure. Possible CMOS battery failure.

• Replace the battery

6 Beeps - Video BIOS test failure.

Contact Dell

7 Beeps - CPU cache test failure. Contact Dell

CMOS CHECKSUM ERROR — Possible motherboard failure or RTC battery low.
Replace the battery

CPU FAN FAILURE — CPU fan failure. Replace the CPU fan

8GB Corsair DDR2 PC2 6400 Ram (New)
WD VelociRaptor 600GB x 2 RAID 0 (New)
ATI Radeon 4870
Teac / Dell CAB-200 BT Multi Card Reader (New)
Dell BT Wireless Keyboard/Mouse (New)
Dell S2440L 24 IN LED HD MONITOR 1920x1080p 60 Hz (New)
Buslink 1TB External Drive (B/U)
Windows 7 Pro 64 SP1
Bose Companion 5 Speaker System
Modified Front Case Fans (2 x 120mm Cooler Master R4 Sickle Flow
Blue LED Sleeve Bearing Fans)

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » General Computer Help