Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Software / Firmware / BIOS Updates

[ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Looking for processor advice
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:04 pm 

Hello all,
I have been browsing the forum for like 2 weeks and my brain is swimming with info.
Too much input! Short Ciruit! LOL

I have this xps 630 for my kid who is 10. So he wont be needing anything up to date for several years.
This pc should serve him well for a few years yet.
That being said....I would still like to upgrade the current processor.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8300 @ 2.83GHz Current.

I cannot make sense of which processors or better or not.
I did learn that the top processor supported by the stock 630i motherboard is the QX9650
Which is still rather pricey for me, even on ebay.

Is there a cpu that falls in between?
A compiled list of cpu's in order of slowest to fastest would certainly be helpful for an old gal like me.

Also should the bios be updated for this? Bios Version 1.0.8 Current.

No Bios lectures pretty please. I have flashed several Bios on other computers.
The process does not intimidate me. Thank you! :cool:

Post subject: Re: Looking for processor advice
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:35 pm 

You're not going to see much difference in performance with any of the range of processors that will fit this motherboard. Not worth an upgrade until you're ready to put in a new motherboard, memory, and current generation CPU. My grandsons are still using my XPS 630 and it's performing fine for everything they're doing with it. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Latest Build: Skylake i7-6700K | ASUS Z170i | NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler | NZXT Manta Case | Seasonic Platinum SS-660 | Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2| G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666 | MSI GTX 950 | Windows 10 | Dell 24" 1920x1200 x2

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:08 pm 

rchris,
Thank you so much for your input.
So basically there is not much difference between core 2 duo's and the core 2 quads?

My personal computer has an AMD Phenom X3 8650 and it is way faster.
But like I said I dont understand all the details of this.
I think simple like 1, 2, 3, and then 4.
Apparently, it does not work that way.

One more question then...when I got the pc it has Win 7 32 bit software.
Would doing a clean install of 64 bit software make things better or worse?
Or what about WinXP 32 bit? Anything to help it along as it is?
Or does none of that matter either? Regardless, this is getting a clean install
because right now it is functioning FUBAR!

If I read correctly...the current processor is 64 bit capable. Or do I have that wrong too?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:10 pm 

Win 7 64-bit is a step up, allowing more memory access than 32-bit. Although, again, for typical applications, I doubt you'd notice a performance change (of course, a clean install almost always helps things!). If you use memory-intensive apps (photo, video editing), you could bump up the memory and probably see a difference.

Shouldn't have any problems going to 64-bit, although if you have old peripherals, check for availability of 64-bit drivers.

Latest Build: Skylake i7-6700K | ASUS Z170i | NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler | NZXT Manta Case | Seasonic Platinum SS-660 | Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2| G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666 | MSI GTX 950 | Windows 10 | Dell 24" 1920x1200 x2

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:14 am 

Thank you! You are great!
This will be his computer until he is a teenager.
It is already becoming a relic.

Until he notices...he is good.
Although he was complaining that his Star Wars game was a bit laggy....Uhhh OH!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:47 pm 

Not a relic... a "classic." 8-)

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:54 pm 

I couldn't agree more! The XPS 630i is one of the best looking computers that has ever been made. It's just a pity the guts are getting a bit creaky. When I upgraded my rig I used the original case and carried out just a bit of modification with new led case fans & new fan controller :). The guts however were put inside another case that belonged to my 24 year old son. He is over the moon with his "new computer" and I am over the moon, and back again, with my new rig.

Windows 7 Home Edition (64 bit) SP1
ACER S271HL LED HD 27inch Monitor
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo
Intel 3rd Gen. Core i5-3570K (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache) CPU (OC'd to 4.2GHz)
Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound Headset
2 x SCSI Hardrives (1 x 256Gb Crucial M4 SSD & 1 x 600Gb WDC Blue WD64 00AAKS-75A7B)
Perixx PX-2000 Illuminated Gaming Keyboard
Gigabyte M8000X Laser Gaming Mouse
Scythe Kaze Master Pro Ace Manual Fan Controller[/size]
Modified front case fans (2 x Aerocool Shark 12cm Quad LED 15 Blade Fluid
Dynamic Bearing Fan-Blue)

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:45 pm 

Hey you guys....
If you are still reading this....

I am going to be re-installing the OS this week.
I have been reading every thread I can find and personal opinions can be confusing.

1) Is there a step by step anywhere for the firmware/software so that I do everything
in the correct order?

2) Heat issues...I will do the obvious suggestions, like adding a rear exhaust.
My main question though...for the folks that added monster fans to the side of their cases.
I cant understand why these are intake fans? Isn't the point to exhaust the hot air?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:13 am 

rchris wrote:
Not a relic... a "classic."

A "classic" is a relic that hasn't rusted through yet...

8MB (4x)-XMS2 2GB DDR2 RAM Corsair 1.8v, 800MHz (Upgraded)
NVIDIA nForce NIC 1Gbs (on-board)

ATI Radeon HD 4850 GPU
SoundBlaster X-Fi XtreamGamer (Removed)
New RAID Controller (TBD) (Will be added with new HDDs)

3x – Western Digital 7200RPM 500GB (Blue) (RAID 0 & 1) (Will be removed)
4x – Western Digital 7200RPM 1.0TB (Black) (RAID 5) (Ready to install)

Dell 2408WFP 24” Flat Panel Monitor (1920x1200)
Acer Ferrari 20” Flat Panel Monitor (1680x1050)

Hitachi Blu-Ray R/W Drive BH20N, Dbl Sided, 16x
750Watt PSU
APC PowerWare UPS

CenturyLink ADSL 15Mbps
(All stock unless noted)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:50 pm 

LOL

Couldn't agree more!

Intel 3rd Gen. Core i5-3570K (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache) CPU (OC'd to 4.2GHz)
2 x SCSI Hardrives (1 x 256Gb Crucial M4 SSD & 1 x 600Gb WDC Blue WD64 00AAKS-75A7B)

Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:46 pm 

Quote:
I cant understand why these are intake fans? Isn't the point to exhaust the hot air?

Yes, that's the point but you can probably visualize it better if you think of actually cooling hot components. The principle is much like a window fan in your home. If you stand in front of the fan and switch the direction from "out" to "in", which direction cools you better? The amount of air that is moved is the same but when the air is being blown in, the concentration of the breeze on just your body makes a world of difference to your temperature.

Same goes with the mondo fan that is blowing directly on hot components -- those components receive a lot more cooling then if the fan were blowing out, because "exhausting" air inside would have no congruency, no narrow, set path -- it would just be swirling around, inefficiently.

[Superfluous Aerodynamics Lecture]
However, upgrades like that can still leave you with hotspots. With the high velocity air movement, aerodynamics really comes into play. If, for example, the big fan was forcing air into the center of the case side, the stream of air would hit the M/B, bend and spread out like an upside-down mushroom cloud but it would stay relatively horizontal and parallel to the M/B. If there were a component that had a large, vertical surface area, located in the now-horizontal airflow (like a big CPU heatsink or a card in a slot close to the fan), it would be receiving a high velocity air stream, straight on, and when the air hit, it would flow around and over the object, providing cooling to the top and three sides. But, because the air is traveling at a high rate of speed, it would not be able to "bend back" around, against the object and, just like an airplane wing, there would be an area of vacuum behind the object, with almost no air movement. This could allow a hot spot on the back of the object and on the M/B underneath that vacuum area. (This is a high level explanation, never mind that CPU heatsinks have fans in them)

It is important, with the mondo fan configuration, to picture the airflow from the big, central fan as spreading out in a circular pattern. On the right side of the fan, the air is flowing to the back of the case; on the top of the fan, the airflow is upward, perpendicular to a standard airflow; and on the left, it is flowing to the front of the case, fighting with and defeating the front case fans. If, say, you had your GPU card in the lower slot, the air flowing up would cause a vacuum area above the card which would starve the card's cooling fan. Granted, the airflow would cool the solder-side of the card but the majority of the heat generated by the GPU chips radiates out of the top, hence the on-board fan.

When a mondo fan is involved, one way of fixing the vacuum area could be by putting in another just-as-mondo intake fan and locate it somewhere else on the case side. It would break that vacuum but then you could still have a dead area where the two air streams are buffeting against each other. If you turn the second fan around, exhausting, the problem would actually get worse because the air would then be moving in a more concentrated manner, past the object, and the air-speed would be nearly doubled. When the speed is doubled then the vacuum area's size would also double. You probably couldn't fit two fans on the case side anyway.

When you install any high-speed fan configuration, there will be an airflow problem wherever an object blocks that straight airflow. This could be a tall heatsink (unless it can ventilate itself) or cables, etc. There probably never be a situation where you have a heatsink without a fan but you can have cables or other flat objects in the case so thought should be given to airflow when you have something like that.

[/Superfluous Aerodynamics Lecture]

[Unsolicited Helpful Hint]
One thing else that has very little to do with this… High velocity air through the case means high velocity dust through the case – except a lot of it doesn’t make it out the back. It will stick to any surface that is perpendicular to the air flow. I cut down on my dust cleaning by cutting-out two pieces of material in the shape of the two air intake grills in the front of the case and held them in place with a couple of "super magnets" (I know, no cool LED fans). The material I used for the filter was some of the 3M green scrubber sheets. They are about 1/4” thick (and green) and porous; you can see light through them and you can rinse them out in soap and water, let them dry and they will be the same porousness and will last forever.

BTW: On dust, surfaces that have dust stuck to them are surfaces that cause the airflow to change direction abruptly – and the abrupt change is also a place where a vacuum envelope starts.
[/Unsolicited Helpful Hint]

8MB (4x)-XMS2 2GB DDR2 RAM Corsair 1.8v, 800MHz (Upgraded)
NVIDIA nForce NIC 1Gbs (on-board)

ATI Radeon HD 4850 GPU
SoundBlaster X-Fi XtreamGamer (Removed)
New RAID Controller (TBD) (Will be added with new HDDs)

3x – Western Digital 7200RPM 500GB (Blue) (RAID 0 & 1) (Will be removed)
4x – Western Digital 7200RPM 1.0TB (Black) (RAID 5) (Ready to install)

Dell 2408WFP 24” Flat Panel Monitor (1920x1200)
Acer Ferrari 20” Flat Panel Monitor (1680x1050)

Hitachi Blu-Ray R/W Drive BH20N, Dbl Sided, 16x
750Watt PSU
APC PowerWare UPS

CenturyLink ADSL 15Mbps
(All stock unless noted)

Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:43 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

just me wrote:
Heat issues...I will do the obvious suggestions, like adding a rear exhaust.
My main question though...for the folks that added monster fans to the side of their cases.

Ok...I'm going to make this simple about air-cooling the 630i case efficiently.

-Front case fans with high static pressure

-Should use high static pressure fans for the cpu heatsink if OCing

-If using a GPU that directly blows out, there is no need for a fan mounted on the panel door

-If you are using a GPU that exhausts inside the case, door panel fans will be most appropriate (single GPU user in this case; door panel fan should be used as intake if no other PCIe slots are not ocuppied while SLI/Crossfire users; door panel fan should be used for exhaust)

-Intake door panel fans should have high static pressure w/med CFM output at minimum while exhaust door panel fans should have low static pressure w/high CFM

-Using a modular psu is best to reduce the amount of unnecessary cables inside the case

This diagram below shows how you want that heat to be exhausted out of the case...

As you see, once the hd cage is filled, lower intake air for the cpu cooler will be greatly obstructed. This is why high static pressure fans for the cpu cooler is best when OCing. You necessarily do need air blowing directly on the memory because the heat from the memory can be pulled into the cpu heatsink fan. If you want air to be directly forced onto the memory, you can install a 80mm to 92mm fan on the door panel (this is hepful when the hd cage is filled). The only potential heat pocket is between the optical drive(s) & the psu which will not harm anything. Besides, that heat is slowly being exhaust by the psu which does not harm the psu.

Here's the actual panel door with an 80mm fan for the memory & an 120mm fan for the gpu...

sfeldner wrote:
[Unsolicited Helpful Hint]
One thing else that has very little to do with this… High velocity air through the case means high velocity dust through the case – except a lot of it doesn’t make it out the back. It will stick to any surface that is perpendicular to the air flow. I cut down on my dust cleaning by cutting-out two pieces of material in the shape of the two air intake grills in the front of the case and held them in place with a couple of "super magnets" (I know, no cool LED fans). The material I used for the filter was some of the 3M green scrubber sheets. They are about 1/4” thick (and green) and porous; you can see light through them and you can rinse them out in soap and water, let them dry and they will be the same porousness and will last forever.

BTW: On dust, surfaces that have dust stuck to them are surfaces that cause the airflow to change direction abruptly – and the abrupt change is also a place where a vacuum envelope starts.
[/Unsolicited Helpful Hint]

Or you can simply buy these... http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=34020 OR http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... s_id=36521 OR http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/ ... ts_id=2275

Or is you really want to get that nasty heat out the case, you can mod the panel door with a combination of fans & mesh, for example...

There are many other creative designs you can do to the door panel (if you're into case modding) that can make your 630i case cool inside with less dust issues (it's all about understanding your hardware, what components needs cooling & understanding the proper usage of case/cpu cooler fans) :thumbup:

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Post Posted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:23 pm 

Thank you so much you guys!

I would like to add a fan on the side panel.
Granted it will not be as pretty as yours is and several of the other mods I have seen.
I will re-read all of this information several times over prior to any cutting!

Little by Little I am making huge progress.
One step forward and 2 steps back some days.
This is the buggiest computer I have ever worked with for sure!

I would not have been able to do it without all of the guru super smart people here!
Taking the time for the resource collective page is a pure godsend!

I will take and post some before and after pics when I am done.
You will not believe what was on the inside of this pc.
Dirtiest ever hands down! I had to take the entire thing apart.
It was scary for me because I have never done anything like that before with hardware.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 pm 

Sounds like you are really enjoying your adventures into the unknown? I applaud you for trying things out, and for the success that you have had so far. Keep up the good work.

[ 14 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Software / Firmware / BIOS Updates