Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Software / Firmware / BIOS Updates

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: CPU Upgrade Problem Maybe Bios Problem
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:39 pm 

Hello folks, i'm a newby here.

My system is...

Dell xps 630i
CPU - Intel core 2 duo 2.4ghz e4600 it's an old one but works fine.
xps bios version is 1.0.13

This system works perfectly fine using this core 2 duo 2.4ghz but i purchased a core 2 quadcore @ 2.4ghz go stepping slacr, but when i put this new cpu in, i got an error that says.... Fatal error: failed to find ACPI location, not compatible with this system.

My system is a raid 0 500gb hdd and it just says that it is set to IDE. There is nothing to change it to ACPI, At this moment now i have reinstalled my core 2 duo 2.4ghz to post here, so if anyone can help me out with this problem i would be greatful. This is my bios in power settings but i don't see anywhere that i can turn on ACPI, or am i missing something in here ? http://youtu.be/mngE8RH7ogg

windows 7 32-bit
raid 0 stripe
core 2 duo e4600 2.4ghz
4gb ram
geforce 9800gtx+ 512mb
sound blaster extreme audio
psu 750w

Post subject: Re: CPU Upgrade Problem Maybe Bios Problem
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:24 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Hi zeeno, welcome to the forum!

It sounds like you have to reset your BIOS to defaults, save & exit the BIOS, reboot, and then when you go back into your BIOS, ACPI should appear. Here's an old post link that talks about it:

viewtopic.php?p=20873

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:40 pm 

Thanks for the reply, i will try that now.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:23 pm 

I tried what you said regarding setting the bios to defaults and saving and going back in but there is still no sign of any change with the ACPI. I have enclosed a link of my full bios settings below just incase you see something that i might have missed but i'm at this for hours now and just cannot figure out why this problem continues. http://youtu.be/aZP8uwXT_cE

I appreciate any help i can get at this stage.

Also, i have tried this with the quadcore installed and there is still no ACPI setting except for the - s3 (str) & - s1 (pos) I'm a bit worried about putting the quadcore in again incase i never get the problem fixed as i will just have to change it again with the core 2 duo.

EDIT: just to update... I tried to use the windows 7 operating system disc earlier when i had the quadcore installed to see if there was any errors causing this problem and it said from boot load from disc... Windows failed to load because the firmware (bios) is not ACPI compatible. Strange as i am using the latest bios version 1.0.13a.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:32 pm 

OK. I have just fixed the issue i was having. I will post the fix here incase anyone else has to go through this serious headache of a problem...

I put the windows 7 operating disc into the pc dvd drive, and then restarted the pc into safe-mode.

Then when in safe-mode i clicked repair windows, then i typed in my country, I clicked on NEXT and i was brought to a list of options, and i clicked the bottom one called command prompt.

When in command prompt i typed in C: and clicked the enter button and the drive c: came up.

Then i typed in these sets of instructions as follows... One at a time, it will say successful after each entry, and then you type in the next one after that. Hit enter after each one you do.

bootrec/fixmbr

bootrec/fixboot

bootrec/rebuildbcd

when all of these commands say "successful" then type in "exit" to get out of the command prompt and then click restart and that will fix this annoying problem called..... fatal error: failed to find ACPI location, not compatible with this system.

Best wishes folks from rainy Ireland as i am a happy camper now after hours upon hours of trying to fix this problem. Slan.

Last edited by zenno757 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 1:02 am 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Great stuff! Glad you were able to get to the bottom of it (needless to say, a relief after the frustration).

I'll add your solution as a FAQ entry to the 630i collective--I don't doubt it will help someone else out there.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:47 am 

Yes indeed, i was at it trying to fix the problem for 11 hours straight, not much help from the world wide web out there on this one strangely enough.

Cheers gdonner. I hope it helps anyone that finds themselves in the same situation i was in, and it works grand thankfully. Creating a new master boot record and the fixboot does the job so i hope it's helpful.

I just finished the final part of the overclock from 2.4ghz to 3ghz changing the fsb QDR mhz to 1333 and the cpu core to 1.40v and also the cpu fsb to 1.40v leaving the 9x multiplier as it is. tested and working grand so all good. Time for a game of tomb raider i think, finally.

SLAN.

[ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Software / Firmware / BIOS Updates