Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Software / Firmware / BIOS Updates

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: BIOS hangs at nearly full progress bar
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:21 am 

Ok, so back at the end of this January, for no apparent reason (no issues booting prior) the BIOS screen hung with just...well let's say 10% left to fill:

The next few attempts yielded no change until:

Clearly that's no good..... So I tried a CMOS reset by removing the battery and went further when that made no difference and did the jumper method.... No change.

A later boot attempt had me staring at this:

Yikes. The bar would actually shift upward, partially duplicating itself, and the text.

I spoke to well in-the-know friends, and they felt that the problem was the motherboard.

Ok....so fast forward to the present. After many months, I purchased a replacement motherboard via eBay, one exactly the same.

Swapped out old for new, everything connected, power it on....and this stays like this for 5+ minutes:

Not what I wanted to have happen after all this time (at least its not all corrupt looking?).

I'm currently counting down the minutes as I took the CMOS battery out, in hopes that will fix everything, but I've got major doubts.

I don't believe its the graphics card (nVidia GeForce 9800GX2 1024MB GDDR3), or anything else....but it MUST be something . Also, while its been a while I'm pretty sure its BIOS v1.0.13

I'm at a loss as to what on Earth I can do.

*edit* waited long enough, popped the battery back in, plugged it in (it tried to startup right away, but I hadn't pushed the plug into the back fully, so it powered off as I attempted to properly situate the cord), turned on....and no change. I plugged in the USB connected keyboard, which lit-up:

And upon next try, hit F2 to see if anything would register or go beyond this....

It showed that setup had been selected (hard to see, but its white vs F12's light grey):

So.....that's where I stand. I'm going to try leaving it sit for at the most, an hour....maybe two. But I highly doubt I'll awake to any good news. :(

Last edited by GB452 on Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: BIOS hangs at nearly full progress bar
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:16 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

When you removed the battery, did you also hold the power button in for about ten seconds before putting it back in? (that apparently discharges the various capacitors not affected by the battery's removal).

Failing that, someone mentioned this (different motherboard), but I thought it might be worth a try:

"Try unplugging your USB drives and just have the keyboard and mouse plugged in. It could be the motherboard trying to post and power the USB ports and they're pulling too much power at post."

(from http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/31352 ... gs-startup)

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:12 pm 

I think I might have forgotten to hold down the power button. I'll try removing the battery and again and doing that.

If that fails, would a USB keyboard and mouse cause any issues? I can probably dig up an older set to use.

I've also got RAM that came with the replacement board, which I could try instead of my current (had these for at least 5+ years in the tower) Corsair Dominator RAM: Image

*edit*

Ok, so I unplugged the mouse and keyboard, but also disconnected all three hard drives. Result was the progress bar on the BIOS screen finally filling up and proceeding to the next screen!

I don't think its my OS drive though, as a few months ago I connected it to another computer in an attempt to access files (which I didn't, as I wasn't about to rewrite permissions for tons of files) and that didn't appear to have any problems then.

So I guess I'll connect just the OS drive and see what happens....

*edit 2*

Damn... With the drive plugged back in, hangs at 80% progress bar.... But even with drives disconnected as well as keyboard and mouse....repeat attempts to get beyond the BIOS screen aren't working.....its as if that one time just a moment ago was a total fluke!

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:45 am 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

This is definitely one for the gurus--I would suggest PM'ing m3th0d1c4l or drBlahman (tell them Greg sent you), and seeing if they can provide some advice. In the back of my mind, it seems like it should have a simple answer/fix, but for the life of me, I can't track down where I saw it, even with a Google search. :(

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:13 am 

Indeed... I was ecstatic when it went beyond the first screen, but crushed when nothing else worked.

Thanks Greg, I'll do that. Messaged both, hopefully they'll login, been a month since last on, for both.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:16 am 

Managed to get back to this screen:

this time with keyboard (USB) plugged in. Hit F2, and got to the BIOS setup!

....now what?

*edit* I figured best to change the boot order so it wasn't looking for a nonexistent floppy drive and saved the settings. Upon restart, its hung at the 80% progress bar once again...... Seems it only goes beyond (pending test with OS drive connected) that once I clear the CMOS 100% (including holding down the power button).

*edit 2* Tried repeating the process that lead to my accessing the buod setup, bit with the primary OS drive connected, but just hung at that same 'ol 80% progress bar..... I had hoped it'd somehow work.

*edit 3*
Huh, seems that even the method to get past to the bios setup, or just beyond it to the post isn't 100%... I just did exactly the same stuff...and it hung.

*edit 4* Per a recommendation I gave 1 RAM stick a try, no change. Almost feels like I'm never duplicating my success in repeatedly going beyond that darn 80% progress bar. I've tried at least 15-20 times and its just not going past that hangup now....

Btw here's the specs:

Processor: Intel Core2 Q6600 Quad-Core (8MB L2 cache,2.40GHz,1066FSB)
Memory: 4GB Corsair Dominator DDR2 SDRAM 800MHz -4 DIMMs
Video Card: nVidia GeForce 9800GX2 1024MB GDDR3

Post Posted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:03 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

At least you're running the latest BIOS (1.0.13), but I wish I knew what else to try...here's hoping one of the gurus can get back to you! It's really strange that this has happened with two different motherboards, which makes me think it's a component outside of the mobo itself causing the problem (what though, I have no idea). IIRC, there have been a couple of pure "lemon" cases in the past where 630i's just refused to work, despite every component in the case being replaced..!

I actually have a somewhat similar problem on my ASRock P67 Extreme4 mobo; occasionally, it will just sit at the BIOS/UEFI splash screen until I manually power down the system and boot up again. The advice given to me (which I haven't tried, since it's pretty rare) was:

"As reinstalling Windows always seems to resolve your problem, it's very possible your HDD is going bad or you have a bad cable attached. At the very least, I would consider performing a low-level format on your HDD (web search it) and replacing the power and SATA cables attached to your devices as well as replacing the cables your PSU is using (assuming it's a modular PSU that is)."

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:05 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Well, your attempts at trying to resolve the issue are the steps I would have taken, other than replacing the motherboard right away.

However, when I saw this issue and the GPU you had, I immediately suspected that as the culprit, as those 9800 GX2s are notorious for problems overall.

I would see if you can borrow another GPU from a friend or get one from a store to test (and return in case it isnt the issue). Also, in rare cases, I have seen defective CD/DVD drives cause this problem (and very rarely, processors), so disconnect the disc drives and try booting up the machine and see how it goes.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:31 am 

Thanks for the reply, m3th0d1c4l.

Haven't connected the disc drive, even from the beginning of replacing the motherboard, so we can rule that out.

I've also tried the RAM which came with the new motherboard, with no more success than with the ones I had already.

I'll see about trying another GPU. If that fails to produce any result, am I effectively sh** outta luck?

As it stands, I've been unable to get back to the BIOS settings (which counting the time I didn't have the keyboard plugged in, would make it 3 times it went beyond the BIOS startup screen out of...well probably 40-50+ failures) and I've tried at least 30+ times since yesterday.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:02 pm 

I am no expert but it seems to me that if you have had some success with getting into the BIOS maybe it is a loose connection or a bad lead? There is a guy getting rid of his 630i on this site. Maybe you could do some kind of deal with him so that you have spare items to try to get your problem resolved? I feel really sorry for you! It is a real bummer when things like this happen. Good Luck!

Windows 7 Home Edition (64 bit) SP1
ACER S271HL LED HD 27inch Monitor
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo
Intel 3rd Gen. Core i5-3570K (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache) CPU (OC'd to 4.2GHz)
Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound Headset
2 x SCSI Hardrives (1 x 256Gb Crucial M4 SSD & 1 x 600Gb WDC Blue WD64 00AAKS-75A7B)
Perixx PX-2000 Illuminated Gaming Keyboard
Gigabyte M8000X Laser Gaming Mouse
Scythe Kaze Master Pro Ace Manual Fan Controller[/size]
Modified front case fans (2 x Aerocool Shark 12cm Quad LED 15 Blade Fluid
Dynamic Bearing Fan-Blue)

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:47 am 

Ok, so as a neighbor gave me a bunch of various old computer parts, I dug through them and installed this video card:

Crossed my fingers and powered up:

BIOS bar filled up 100%:

Ok back to here:

Entered the setup:

Adjusted the following from:

To:

But still getting a missing floppy drive error:

Well I figured that's pretty minor, all things considered, so I connected my primary OS hard drive. It booted up past the BIOS, hit F1 to continue and got this:

Ok, well I selected normal startup and was returned to the BIOS screen..... Ooook, not good..... Tried entering repair:

....which after a second or two of nothing on the screen, just came back to the "Windows failed to start..." screen.

I'm glad to get somewhere (so I guess I didn't need another motherboard after all? It sucks that I'll need a new GPU, I thought the one I had was really good...or was back in 2008), but stuck at what to do with Windows failing (as it stands, I don't have a free SATA drive I could plug-in as a test). I'm going to put my other RAM back in...but other than that.....?????

*edit*

Installed my previous RAM, noticed the progress bar seemed...slightly messed up:

*edit 2*
Have been speaking to my knowledgeable friend about this and here's the current conversation:

Post Posted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:29 am 

Figured was worth a shot:

Waiting on it to finish tests....

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:49 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Well, this is an interesting issue.

I do have to agree that the boot sector or MBR on the boot drive is definitely messed up. You can try to repair it but I don't think it will work to be honest.

What you can do though, is if you have another hard drive, install Windows on that and see if you can at least successfully boot into windows multiple times. Then you can just connect your OS drive with your data on it back to the machine and back up any important data, and then do a clean installation on that drive.

Also, your memory seems to be a bit buggy too. Try running with only 1 stick with the new video card for a while.

And have you had continuous success booting past the BIOS with the new card?

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:47 am 

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
Well, this is an interesting issue.

I do have to agree that the boot sector or MBR on the boot drive is definitely messed up. You can try to repair it but I don't think it will work to be honest.

I have my doubts as well....plus I've been unable to find the OS disc (I've found every other disc that came with the darn thing, of course....).

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
What you can do though, is if you have another hard drive, install Windows on that and see if you can at least successfully boot into windows multiple times. Then you can just connect your OS drive with your data on it back to the machine and back up any important data, and then do a clean installation on that drive.

Yeah, I'll do that. I just don't have another drive available at the moment...and currently waiting on various income to be paid. Hopefully before the week is out I'll be able to get a cheap SATA drive and proceed with this plan.

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
Also, your memory seems to be a bit buggy too. Try running with only 1 stick with the new video card for a while.

I was surprised to see that happen. I'll give the 1 stick a try and see if the odd graphical glitch disappears.

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
And have you had continuous success booting past the BIOS with the new card?

Yep, no issues thankfully. Hopefully that's a good sign for my future GPU (which I'm looking into).

As an aside, all tests were passed:

Though there's this:

But I looked into it and switching the APCI setting made no difference.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:45 am 

Stupid question is stupid.... I feel like I've lost my touch with tech.... I cant use this:

on my new "blank" hard drive, because windows/Microsoft doesn't like to be installed on more than 1 computer without a certain license....yes? If so...doesn't that make my finding my XPS' vista DVD a moot point as well?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:30 am 

Soooo... I put the win7 (came with friend's new laptop) disc in, finishes loading files... And then this screen:

Hit enter, took a few moments, cane to this:

After about 1-2min it returned me to the "windows failed to start" screen..... :(

Post Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:36 am 

You know, the possibility of a wonky PSU may be giving you trouble also.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:15 am 

KevinK37 wrote:
You know, the possibility of a wonky PSU may be giving you trouble also.

Kevin

At this rate, anything is a possibility....

I wasn't able to find the Vista disc, despite more searching, so I resorted to a USB boot via: http://downloadsnfix.blogspot.com/2012/ ... l-iso.html

I hoped that given it was Vista 32bit that had been on the system before, I'd perhaps have more luck.......NOPE! Same ACPI compatible error.... :crazy:

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:56 am 

Ok, so HUGE update!

I unplugged the tower, popped out the CMOS, pressed the power button...the whole process.... Came back 10-15min later, popped it back in, plugged it in and powered on ton this:

Entered the setup, fixed things...even figured maybe load defaults for a try.... But got this:

Kept doing it.... But then after the 6th try of configuring the setup so I could boot from the USB, I just grabbed a pencil and pushed in the CMOS harder (with many expletives being uttered) with the eraser side while it was booting up..... Next thing I know....and I'm here:

...... I'm not 100% sure just WTF happened.....

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:31 am 

For the hell of it, and trying to see if my luck would carry over, I swapped back to the original drive.... Ran repair.... After a while figure bed was best, and I'd let it run however long.

Came back 15min later to an odd green/blank screen:

(Keys appeared to be unresponsive)

Rebooted and ran what I could via the USB bootable (save for anything that'd wipe data):

Rebooted... And the next thing I know, I'm looking at something I've not seen in over 6+ months!

I was able to login and saw my desktop, checked a few folders and everything is still there!

I've got to get sleep, but later I'll see what else I can do!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:33 pm 

You, my
friend,
deserve a medal for perseverance! I think that my rig would have been in the dustbin long before now. For your sake I can only hope that your luck continues and that you have enough patience & resolve to conquer your problems.

Good Luck!

Windows 7 Home Edition (64 bit) SP1
ACER S271HL LED HD 27inch Monitor
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo
Intel 3rd Gen. Core i5-3570K (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache) CPU (OC'd to 4.2GHz)
Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound Headset
2 x SCSI Hardrives (1 x 256Gb Crucial M4 SSD & 1 x 600Gb WDC Blue WD64 00AAKS-75A7B)
Perixx PX-2000 Illuminated Gaming Keyboard
Gigabyte M8000X Laser Gaming Mouse
Scythe Kaze Master Pro Ace Manual Fan Controller[/size]
Modified front case fans (2 x Aerocool Shark 12cm Quad LED 15 Blade Fluid
Dynamic Bearing Fan-Blue)

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 10:53 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Yeah, what chriskaz said--don't be surprised if you have Dell calling you on the phone with an offer of a job in customer service! :D

But seriously, glad it seems to be working after all this time and effort--I trust it will keep running!

Post Posted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:23 pm 

Thank you both! :D

I tried my GeForce 9800 GX2, but as I had assumed it had a 50/50 chance of doing, it causes the hang:

Oddly none of the status LEDs indicate any issues:

I've tried both DVI and HDMI with no change....

I can go back to the VGA card without incident:

So! As I'd rather not continue to use an outdated VGA card, what's as good, if not superior to the 9800 GX2?

Also, having that new drive will come in handy either way... Windows explorer is back to doing what it was prior to everything not working, which is the start bar and anything else tends to slow down to an eventual semi-frozen state:

(I wound up becoming very familiar with launching everything I needed via the task manager).... If there's a "simple" (or complicated, doesn't matter to me after all this) way to effectively transfer all my files and perhaps applications into the new drive (which will presumably have no issues!)....I'm all ears....and eyes! I'll even format it and do a Win7 32bit (since 64bit seems out of the question?) install on the new drive, if migrating from Vista to 7 is somehow smoother.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:26 am 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Quote:
So! As I'd rather not continue to use an outdated VGA card, what's as good, if not superior to the 9800 GX2?

Just about anything out there in the last few years. :) How much are you willing to spend? Anything you buy will work fine, providing you check the customer reviews on newegg.com. I would stick with Nvidia, as they get good reviews, and generally have better driver software than AMD, and EVGA as the manufacturer, due to their good quality products, warranties, and customer service record:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLi ... &name=EVGA

Also, if it were me, I'd go with Win 7 64-bit--better overall than Vista in terms of reliability and performance.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:33 am 

gdonner wrote:
Quote:

Just about anything out there in the last few years. :) How much are you willing to spend? Anything you buy will work fine, providing you check the customer reviews on newegg.com. I would stick with Nvidia, as they get good reviews, and generally have better driver software than AMD, and EVGA as the manufacturer, due to their good quality products, warranties, and customer service record.

If it were me, I'd go with Win 7 64-bit--better overall than Vista in terms of reliability and performance.

Thanks, I've been reviewing both newegg and tigerdirect this evening, comparing reviews, prices, etc... Money is thankfully not too much of an issue right now, so even if its not an immediate purchase, if I can bookmark something great, I'll do so.

Just finished created a bootable Win7 32bit USB, I'll give that a go first, and then, as I should be able to, update to 64bit if all goes smoothly.

Seems like a decent plan, yes?

[ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Software / Firmware / BIOS Updates