Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Software / Firmware / BIOS Updates

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Esa Tools and Nvidia Drivers
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:05 pm 

Trying to give a not so tech savvy friend tech support over the phone, so sort of have to go for a "least amount of effort / least amount of risk/time required" approach.

My question basically boils down to this: Do we need to install the ESA drivers at all? Would not installing the drivers potentially lead to any problems like crazy case or GPU fans or worse, the GPU fan not ramping up when under load?

The system has been running fine for the last years (except for ethernet stopping to work for some indiscernable reason a few months back) but really needs updated graphic card drivers and I hear people mention problems with Nvidia drivers and ESA software quite often. So the easiest solution would be not to install ESA,... if that route is safe.

System has a Q9650 CPU, a 285GTX, 8gb RAM and i still running VISTA (64bit). We originally had to downclock the memory to get the whole thing stable, but it's been running fine ever since. Except now newer games occasionally keep crashing due what looks like driver issues.

P.S. The Ethernet problem was "fixed" by plugging a ethernet USB dongle in /hangs head in shame. Remember... going the lowest risk, lowest effort, approach due to not having access to the system myself right now and basically giving tech support over the phone to a person in a different country. (A wonderful person who tends to get mad at the computer if it doesn t do what is wanted of it :) )

P.P.S. Right now... wondering if a full reinstall with Windows 7 and new drivers (without ESA?) would get the system back in shape again and maybe even get ethernet back.

P.P.P.S.: A new computer or anything involving hardware changes is sadly out of the question right now.

Post subject: Re: Esa Tools and Nvidia Drivers
 Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:52 pm 

Well, I have a pretty much stock system, more or less and I'll tell you what I have installed.

I install ESA version 6.03 performance only. Just for adjusting the front fans. I don't touch anything else in the program. I use MSI Afterburner to set my own gpu fan curve. I've installed the latest chipset drivers and video drivers from nvidia. Windows 7 works great on my pc. Make sure that system is updated to bios version 1.0.13 and has the latest MIO firmware version installed. Both of which are available on the resource page of this website. If it is determined that the MIO firmware needs to be updated, you will need to install the ESA update program.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:39 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

You can run absolutely fine without the ESA software. It is just used for enthusiasts you would like to control their case fans and a few bios features. You can also control lighting from it, however there is another app (AlienFX) that does the same thing.

ESA is not needed. Windows 7 clean install would be a great idea.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:51 pm 

Thanks for the info.

If ESA isn't needed to ramp fans up and down then we'll just go without it.
Now to convince my friend to get Windows 7 instead of merely fooling around some more in Vista.

Oh and... I assume we can check the Bios version on the first/front page of the Bios screen?

Post Posted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:48 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

If you want to ramp up your fans manually, then ESA is needed. But the system will adjust fan speeds proportionally with CPU and internal case temperatures without ESA as temps increase/decrease.

And yes, BIOS version can be identified on bootup below the Dell logo on the BIOS splash screen.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Software / Firmware / BIOS Updates