new to the forums. but believe me, not new to the forums... knowuttamean?
did this this morning from memory i think i got it all
thx to all who post here. couldn't have done it with out ya. ive found several tuts on this, but none have quite worked for me. but heres my process for this "hack job" Dell calls an XPS630i.
original post here: http://en.community.dell.com/support-fo ... x#19992128
ive had to do this twice now in the last few weeks. success on both times. i have the original drivers saved for future mishaps. heres what i do for this. i have an xps630i, windows vista 32bit with two(2) HD3870 in crossfireX (not hd3870 X2, this was my problem for a wile. not knowing that X2 was a single PCIE card and not two cards)
1. down load the ORIGINAL drivers for your setup from DELL, not AMD or ATI. there should be a link for "other" or "older" drivers when u look em up.
for the same setup as me:http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... eid=249227
2. download driver sweeper. free program and now my favorite tool.http://phyxion.net/item/driver-sweeper.html
3. uninstall all video drivers and software. i did mine from the device manager.
5. click continue on new hardware found pop up. check the device manager, for me there was no drivers installed. there was that yellow icon /!\ next to both video adapters. this is good.
6. run driver sweeper. click AMD display box, click the * button at bottom. sweep away!
8. click continue on new hardware found pop up if it does. i check the device manager again to be sure its still good to go.
9. install the ORIGINAL drivers for your setup from DELL, not AMD or ATI.
11. run CCC and you should see CrossFireX dropdown in menu on left. if so.....
12. now update CCC from options. now the new CCC should see CrossFireX
i hope this helps. its been a nightmare for me for several years. if you want to know more about what you were not told about your XPS630i, check this out. resources/630icollective.html
this will be my last prebuilt PC. back to building my own. i hope i didn't leave anything out. ill update if i can think of anything else.