Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » Alienware - General Discussion

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: I Went and Did It - Alienware Area 51 Check Specs
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:29 pm 

It came this week. Yea, I know build your own but came into a little cash and was offered a fair discount.

Seems my major contribution to this board which was telling you when Nvidia updated video drivers will now stop. Sorry, but don't kick me off given this and my sig.

Not a benchmarking or OC guy. Want high settings at native 1680x1050 and smooth game play. Have Crysis, FSX and BBC2 installed so far. I can tel you that in BBC2 at high settings a saw FPS from the 60's to 198.

I know that processor can be OCed easily. Don't see a need at this point. Maybe GURU can answer this. Dell had an option to oc at 4.0 for about $300 CDN. Are they changing any hardware for this or is it simply bios/sotware changes.

I'm routing for an Alienware Resource Collective. I will certainly miss the 630I one.

12GB DDR 3 1600
2 300GB Sata @10K RPM Raid 0
Creative XFI Titanium
Blue Ray Combo
Windows 8 Pro (64)

Post subject: Re: I Went and Did It - Alienware Area 51 Check Specs
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:35 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

The new Alienware's are nice systems, but they too have their own set of problems. :rofl: You will come to experience some of them soon. LOL.

You can overclock the system yourself, like I did, or you can go into the BIOS and select Load OC LVL 1 or LVL 2. This will input the settings for the factory set OC. For the Core i7 980x, LVL 1 is 3.73GHz, and LVL 2 is 4.0GHz.

I dont like their preset settings, as it uses way too much voltage to OC the CPU, thus making more heat than needed. Plus, they overclock using Turbo Mode, whereas I OC with the BCLK. Its a more advanced way of overclocking, which I would not recommend if you are not familiar with OC'ing.

To be completely honest, I wouldnt have bought this system myself, especially for the price Dell was charging. I got mine from a system exchange, which is why I still put up with it.

Hope you enjoy the system, and hopefully you wont have too many problems with it. :rofl:

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:19 pm 

Thanks for the info.

Yea, I saw some pretty impressive data on the I7 980X on the net. 3.86 achieved stable with no voltage increase and some pretty impressive oc numbers with minor voltage increases below the 1.35 level.

Haven't checked or tried but I suspect Alienware's level 1 to 3.73 is just an increase in the x25 multiplier.

At this point I'm happy with 3.33.

12GB DDR 3 1600
Creative XFI Titanium
Blue Ray Combo
Windows 8 Pro (64)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:27 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Yes, its an increase to the 25x multiplier, but not the regular multiplier. The normal CPU multiplier cannot go above 25x on the Alienware Motherboard. There are 2 different multipliers with the i7 CPUs: The standard multiplier to control all cores, and individual core mutlipliers for Turbo Mode. The multipliers that Dell changes are the Turbo Mode multipliers. They also ramp up the voltages pretty high to above 1.35 for 3.73GHz and 4.00GHz, so temps are warm with their settings.

Dell does not know how to overclock the systems professionally. Each CPU is different in terms of overclocking and voltages needed, so Dell had their preset parameters for their OC to ensure everyones is stable, even if the temps are high.

Also, if you ever get the time, I would reverse the fan on your radiator. Dell set the fan to use air from inside of the case to blow out the top. Its not very efficient, as it uses the warm air in the case to cool the liquid. I flipped mine around to draw cool air from the outside and it dropped my temps over 10-12C on load, and about 5-7C idle.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:19 pm 

Good info.

And yikes!

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
The multipliers that Dell changes are the Turbo Mode multipliers. They also ramp up the voltages pretty high to above 1.35 for 3.73GHz and 4.00GHz, so temps are warm with their settings.

I guess that's why I see Chris over at the Dell forums telling people they don't need to leave their systems at level 2 all the time.

Well if I ever get the oc level inclination good thing I went with that 3 year warranty.

12GB DDR 3 1600
Creative XFI Titanium
Blue Ray Combo
Windows 8 Pro (64)

Post Posted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:36 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Big K wrote:
Well if I ever get the oc level inclination good thing I went with that 3 year warranty.

Well, here is another thing you might want to know......Dell will not cover your system from damage due to overclocking, unless you purchased it with the overclocking option. So if they determine your system failed from overclocking and you didnt have factory OC on it, they may not fix your system, and void your warranty.

Honestly, if all you plan to do with the system is play games, you will not need to OC that CPU for a long time to come, if not ever. Usually people who OC their CPUs are benchmarkers, and users who do a lot of video encoding/decoding.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:51 pm 

the 980x has been OCed to 5.0 Ghz and many people have OCed to a stable 4.5. I guess the 5.0 was stable, but i haven't read a whole lot about it.

i7 980x Oced @ 4.2GHz
Corsair H50 CPU Cooler (Push,Push,Pull)
Asus Rampage III Extreme
6gb Patriot Viper 2 @ 1600Mhz
Duel EVGA GTX 470 SLI (OCed to FTW speeds)
EVGA 8800GTS for Extra monitors
2x OCZ Agility 60Gb SSD in RAID 0
2x WD Cavair Blue 1Tb in RAID 0
LG 10x Blu-Ray Burner
Thermaltake Armor+ Full Tower Case

[ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » Alienware - General Discussion