Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » Alienware - General Discussion

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Alienware Aurora top mounted fan.
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:21 am 

I was wondering if anyone has mounted a system fan on the top cage of their Aurora.
I tried to mount mine tonight and i was unable to find a spot that will house a fan. I think they put all that plastic junk on top to stop people from doing this :(. None of my fans would fit. They just seemed to fat. The top half of the plastic u see on the Aurora wont close back down all the way. Anyone have any advice ?

stock 6GB Triple Channel 1333Mhz DDR3
stock Alienware High-Performance Liquid Cooling
Windows 7 Professional 64bit
stock 1.8GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 GDDR3
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium

Post subject: Re: Alienware Aurora top mounted fan.
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:56 pm 

I had to do a little modding to get the fan to work and to still be able to keep the top plastic mounted. What i did was cut some of the plastic off the under plastic.
I lined up the fan and scratched the outer line of the fan so i know where to cut the bottom plastic out so the fan would fit. Then i ran the wires throw this little port hole close to the front . I used a fan wire extension to connect the fan. I also used a fan wire splitter.
I can take some pics later today after i get up. I hoping for a mod or someone with a Alienware Aurora can maybe make a post about this and sticky it. The only way to add a fan to the top is to mod the plastic a little. Go Go dell for the no top fan plastic u have installed on the aurora :crazy: .

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:03 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Good job. Pics of what you had to do to mount it, and connect it, would be very helpful for others with the Aurora.

Do have the fan set as in intake or exhaust?

EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N @ 1500MHz
Dual Corsair Neutron GTX 256GB SSD's in RAID0
Corsair AX1200 power supply
Win7 x64 Ultimate
Lian LI PC-P80B case w/ custom window and lighting
Koolance ERM-2K3U Rev 1.1 (copper) external water cooler
Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 monitor
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Audio System

Post Posted: Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:21 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Nice work. I think the Aurora has the same design concept of the Area 51 with the top mounting structure, and I believe that whole plastic piece is removable on your system as well.

This is my plastic piece removed from my system:

If you notice it has the 4 clips in the corners, to easily pop it out. My radiator is mounted on top, and this was covering the 2 120mm fan mounting areas next to it. Just removing this dropped my temps a good 7C inside the case.

I think you could have removed your plastic piece as well instead of cutting it though.

Overall, good job :cool:. And like JDookie said, this will definitely help others with the Aurora's.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:45 am 

m3th0d1c4l Your Bottom plastic isn't the same as mine. pics soon in about 30min to 1hour

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:43 pm 

Ok first u should unplug everything from the back of your computer. Next u should open the case facing you. There should be 2 screws hold the top plastic to the bottom plastic. One in the front and back corner.

Take out the 2 screws u see on the side. This will let u take the top plastic off while the bottom plastic is still mounted.
U can take the bottom plastic off by unscrewing the 8 bolts that u see connected to it if u like. I didn't have to do this because of the tools i used.

Next u should take off the usb cover. To do this leave the usb cover flat. Put a little pressure till the side facing u comes out.

Make sure u don't lose the spring that is under your usb cover.

Next you should apply some pressure to the top plastic pushing from the side and push up. This way u do not have to tare down your comp to get to the left screws.

Once the top plastic is removed u will see the bottom plastic still mounted.

What i did here was place my fan over a spot where it wouldn't suck air from my memory fan blowing in. Then i scratched an outline of my fan to know where to cut the plastic out. I cut the plastic with a dremel tool. If u dont have the right tools to do this when the bottom plastic is still mounted in. You might want to take it off. Some of the plastic is thick.

Run the wires to the front. There is a little port hole witch has a screw that u can put your wires threw.
Here is the hole open. Do not forget to close it back after the wires are ran. Don't screw it back down all the way. You can cut/ pinch the wires enough that it might ground out and fry something. Make sure you don't do this. Leave it open enough for the wires to have some space to move. You should be able to move the wire with your finger after it is screwed back in.
Now the fan should be mounted in a spot u wanted it to be. I used zip ties to hold mine in place. I didn't want to add extra holes into my case. I think its easier to do it this way because of the space from the heatsink to the cage. If your going to drill holes to mount the fan with screws then u will need to remove the fan board.
Image.

After all of this you should have your fan mounted. If not Keep going u will get it. I use my top fan for exhaust. I put the back fan that is connect to my radiator blowing in. My temps are about 32-40c with my fans at 3%. I think with 100% it would push 30c on idle. On load I'm not sure yet i need to test it out. After you get your fan or fans mounted make sure you put everything back where it was. This is the easy part :D.
Also seeing as dell has a 4 pin fan connector u can get a fan splitter cable to connect both fans to the System fan. I cant seem to find the website that i bought my splitter cable from. I will find this later and edit this post. Next project to install a fan controller on the top of my case. :crazy: Lets hope its a lot easier then adding a top fan.

100% fan speed. temps on idle.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:03 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: billybigfoot
Very nice write-up Sir.

Those pic's should be very helpful.

Thankyou for posting.

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

[ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » Alienware - General Discussion