Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 730 - General Discussion

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: XPS 730 with LED/fan issue
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:40 pm 

Hi guys. Misery loves company and I'm somewhat relieved to know that I'm not the only Dell XPS owner having this problem. As many of you, when I change the LED settings in the NVIDIA control panel my fans crank up to the max speed and won't come down. Had a wonderful 4 hour phone conversation with an XPS support rep last night, troubleshooting and whatnot. After I asked him several times to check to see if this was a known issue (I noticed the problem in a few articles) he insisted that Dell has not seen this problem before. Funny that I should come here and see a Dell rep talking about it ;)

My apologies for crashing the XPS 630 party with my 730 issues. But this is the only forum I found that might be able to help me. Dell certainly doesn't seem to want to, as they handed me the NVIDIA phone number last night and told me good luck.

First question: Will the BIOS flash work for my system? (I assume not)

Second: Is there a support forum for XPS 730 related problems that you guys know of?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated, even if you can just point me in the right direction for someone to contact for support. Thanks for your time and a great resource.

Post subject: Re: XPS 730 with LED/fan issue
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:05 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: billybigfoot
Wrangler3383,

First off, welcome to the forum, no need to apologise for crashing the party, all are welcome here.

I don't know how much help I can offer - totally different Master I/O board and Motherboard but the following may give you at least an insight into which way to go.

In the early days of the LED/Fan problems, before Dell accepted that there was a problem, we came across two work-a-rounds. The first, and easiest was to get hold of a firmware for the MIO from someone who has not experienced the problem and use that to flash the MIO. This obviously did not cure the problem, it just meant that if it reoccured you could flash againg to get back to a noiseless condition. The second was to purchase a aftermarket fan controller and use that.

Now for your first question, you are right the BIOS flash released for the 630 will only serve to make your 730 totally useless, you should always stick to a BIOS update specific to your system.

As for a support forum for XPS 730 owners, I personally have not heard of anything other than DCF. We here were extreemly lucky to have davbow, the forum Admin. He is the one who setup this site and gave us all a place we can call home.

I hope this has been of some small help and please, drop back in and join our happy family. There is a great deal more going on here than just being "Les Misserables" ;)

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:43 pm 

Thank you much for the welcome. Don't know what I would do without the online tech enthusiast community.

Unfortunately the Dell rep and I installed a third party fan controller last night with no luck. Plus I can't seem to find anyone online with a 730 who is having the same issue, only 630 owners. Obviously it is the same problem though, because I have the same exact NVIDIA control panel and the same symptoms after changing the LEDs. At this point I'm wondering if the 730 is just too new to have a crowd of people coming online and voicing their concerns. I'm at the end of my rope here. My only hope is that NVIDIA will be able to help me out when I call them after I get out of work. I will report back here with the outcome. That being said, everyone feel free to chime in if you have anything else to add.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:51 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

At this point then I suppose you could try and make contact with another XPS 730 owner via DCF, let them know your position and request that they contact you via PM and then arrange to exchange MIO firmware. Or maybe PM Chris_M and ask if he could assist you in getting hold of a copy.

Long shots I know, but it's got to be worth a try at least. Can't be having you loosing your sanity from all that fan noise now can we!

BBF

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:53 pm 

Agreed my man. Look, I'm not the only one!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSGsvpuvgXs

I will try that out if my talk with NVIDIA doesn't go well tonight.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:11 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

When you said that you and a Dell tech tried a third party fan controller, was it software? Something like SpeedFan? If so thats been tried and does not work on the 630 either. What I had in mind was a hardware fan controller such as discussed here: fan-controllers-t326s50.html and here: my-xps-630-case-lights-set-to-blue-for-chillin-t64s75.html

Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:40 pm 

Ah I gottcha now. You are correct. I tried a software controller. I would rather not have to purchase a fan controller for my system which already cost me more than an arm and a leg. If I do have to I'm going to send the bill to Dell. Just found this thread a few minutes ago.

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportfor ... ing&page=1

It is a fix for the problem, unfortunately the link to the download is broken and I will have to wait for the Dell rep to reply. I just can't believe that the support team I spoke to last night had no clue about any of this. It is totally beyond me...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:01 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Wrangler3383,

I checked my archives and found the following post from another 730 user with similar fan problems (see attached image):

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:22 pm 

-sigh- yep... sad but true.

The fix I posted above didn't work for me. I tried it myself and then Dell did it again remotely...

No dice. They are now sending me a new IO board, new motherboard, and new fans. All a waste of time in my opinion. If they swap all this out and i have the same issue, I'm sending it back and never buying another Dell. I won't look back. The amount of time and effort I have spent "fixing" a brand new system this expensive is ridiculous. I spent 45 minutes this morning simply getting transferred around. That isn't an exaggeration. Their support is just horrible and these "top of the line" systems are no better.

Sorry for the rant guys... :?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:29 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Ah, so it was your post. :) Sorry about that--and I'm sorry you're not having any luck in getting a resolution to your problem. :( Don't feel bad--we're certainly not new to vented frustration on this board; you're in good company. After all, we share the same source of it.

Dell's support is pathetic, and that's being nice (see screenshot below for a slice of pure marketing baloney).

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 6:23 pm 

Hi guys,

Found this forum while desperatly searching for some hope of a fix for my fans and my sanity.

Had my xps 730x about 2 months and the Cage fan has developed the annoying tendancy of kicking in at random moments when the internal temps are only just above 30c. I wouldnt object so much if the fan didnt sound like a B52 bomber on approach. It even happens in games i imagine to be "nonstressful" like warcraft.

I've updated my drivers, bios and just about everything i can think of and even had a go at changing the rules for fan use within the Nvidia system control panel. All sadly to no real avail. The only real way i can find to avoid the whailing is to activly disable automatic fan control. But i worry im just quietly burning my computer up from the inside.

I'm going to brave customer support tommorow anyway, but i just wanted to let the poor guy above know hes not alone in his fan woes.

Who would've thought a computer tagged as "silent" would cause so many problems!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:46 am 

Mabs wrote:
Hi guys,

Found this forum while desperatly searching for some hope of a fix for my fans and my sanity.

Had my xps 730x about 2 months and the Cage fan has developed the annoying tendancy of kicking in at random moments when the internal temps are only just above 30c. I wouldnt object so much if the fan didnt sound like a B52 bomber on approach. It even happens in games i imagine to be "nonstressful" like warcraft.

I've updated my drivers, bios and just about everything i can think of and even had a go at changing the rules for fan use within the Nvidia system control panel. All sadly to no real avail. The only real way i can find to avoid the whailing is to activly disable automatic fan control. But i worry im just quietly burning my computer up from the inside.

I'm going to brave customer support tommorow anyway, but i just wanted to let the poor guy above know hes not alone in his fan woes.

Who would've thought a computer tagged as "silent" would cause so many problems!

Best thing you can do for your 730/730x is to use the Dell Thermal Monitor and setup your own profile on how you want your fans to work. The 730/730x are a different beast to the 630i. If that doesn't work contact Dell and have them send you a new Master IO Board. It could be dieing or be dead. But to me it sounds like your MIOB is going out. I haven't ever had that happen to me and I hope I never do. Good Luck

KingWin ABT-1220MA1S Mach 1

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 V1

Intel i7-965EE @ 4.2

SuperTalent 3X2GB DDR3 1877 8-8-8-24-1T

EVGA GTX 580SC 900-1800-2100

HeatKiller Rev3.0 WaterBlock

Swiftech MCP355

XSPC Dualbay RES.

Swiftech MCR320-QP-K Radiator

Dual WD Caviar BLK 1 TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 32MB 7.2K

Hitachi 1 TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 32MB 7.2K

Seagate 1 TB SATA II 3.0Gb/s 32MM 7.2K

Liteon PLDS BD-RE DH-4B1S SATA

ATI 650PRO HDTV Tuner W/Media Remote

GateWay FHD 2400 24" HD 1080p Monitor

W7 Ultimate 64bit

[ 12 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 730 - General Discussion