Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 730 - General Discussion

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: XPS 730 Problems Following an Update
 Post Posted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:16 pm 

I have recently upgraded my ageing XPS 730 as an option to building a new machine which I can't afford until at least late next year.
The Hard drive failed so, as well as installing a new HDD I replaced the RAM to raise it to 8Gig (I kept strictly to the original module specs and just exchanged the existing 1 gig modules for 2 Gig modules)I changed the OS to 64 bit windows 7 pro and installed a NVidia GeForce GTX 660.
However, I am now getting random lock ups, some minutes apart some hours apart, always requiring a hard reset.
I have been trying many fixes off the web but, so far none have cured the problem.
Now I am wondering if the bios should be flashed, it is 1.0.4 and Dell issued a BIOS upgrade to 6 which I never installed at the time because everything was running fine.
Unfortunately, because of the HDD failure, I just upgraded everything without considering the Bios.
My question is, do I need to reinstall the original OS (Vista 32) and the original 4 gig ram so that the MOBO recognizes everything as the original set up before I flash it?
I can't even access my Dell service tag to run any Dell diagnostics as the Dell site refuses to recognize my PC because the OS is different.
I hope someone is able to advise me.

Post subject: Re: XPS 730 Problems Following an Update
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:28 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

I would say no; the Dell site should be recognizing Win7 regardless of whether your system came with Vista. Something else is going on; here's a list of things that one of our gurus posted sometime ago--it may give you some new things to try or look out for (I hope it helps provide an answer to the freezes!):

*** start quoted text ***

A system freeze is not that bad. I would rather have that instead of the BSOD (which can corrupt or erase files). A system freeze can be the result of several things...

1) Hardware: Defective or mismatched components in your computer.

2) Aluminum Migration and ESD: Premature aging and “Electro Static Discharge” can make a computer very intermittent.

3) Operating System: Some versions of Windows have bugs that can cause these problems.

4) Drivers: Buggy or low-level drivers can cause many problems.

5) Software: Some programs have bugs in them that can cause these problems.

6) Memory Fragmentation: Do you often see the message, "System is dangerously low in resources"? If so, you are probably suffering Memory Fragmentation.

7) CMOS Settings: Improper CMOS settings can cause many problems. Changing CMOS settings can also be used to help diagnose some hardware problems.

8) Loading Order: The order in which the software components of your computer are loaded into memory, at startup each day, can cause a multitude of odd problems.

OR a combination of the above: Defects in any of the above may only show up under specific circumstances.

Motherboards can be the problem, but are very rare and would be the very last thing on the list to check.

What can happen if your PSU can't cope with the load:

* Bad 3D performance
* Crashing games
* Spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
* Freezing during gameplay
* PSU overload can cause it to break down

***end quoted text ***

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post subject: Re: XPS 730 Problems Following an Update
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:13 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for your reply I had almost finished answering it when I caught my finger on the Esc key and deleted it I probably won't be able to answer again for a couple of days.

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 730 - General Discussion