Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 730 - General Discussion

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: 730x bios 1.05
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:57 am 

hi all
had a minor problem last weekend, i updated the bios from 1.03 to 1.05. i then went into the setup to check the settings and by accident i hit one of the function keys which i think selects the default settings and saves. well i returned all the settings to what they were and saved. then when i rebooted i got an error message saying something like "missing operating system"

after paying dell software support i got helpful advice to reinstall the os and hey presto it got the machine running again. dell then did the driver and updates for me. however when they finished i tried to install the Intel Matrix Storage Manager and to my dismay when i rebooted i got the same error message so i ran the os repair tool and that worked . so needles to say i haven't attempted to do that again

also my hard drive is now only showing 596gb where as before it showed the full 1.2tb.

another thing i've noticed is after the bios loading screen i used to get a quick hard drive system report with both hard drives showing a green normal message, but since the update this no longer appears.

i have checked both hard drives in the device manager and their both working.

did i miss something in the reinstall? is there a recommended reinstall procedure for vista 64

sorry if the questions are basic, my computer skills are all self learned and i know you guys are more skilled than i. thanks in advance for any help.

System basics
xps 730 i7 965 extreme
nvida 280
creative sound card
blue ray drive
vista 64 home premium
logitech g15 & mouse

Post subject: Re: 730x bios 1.05
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:01 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
It sounds like you had a RAID 0 Stripe with your two hard drives for a total of 1.2 TB and you accidentally disabled RAID when the BIOS reset to defaults.

If that's the case, you'll have to start all over again, re-enable RAID in the BIOS, then boot and enter the separate RAID setup (Control-N on my Dell), set up your RAID 0 Stripe again, then boot and re-install Windows.

My XPS 630 Blog

[ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 730 - General Discussion