Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS/Alienware Laptops/Notebooks

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Alienware M17x - Missing Upgrade Options
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:23 pm 

Hey, guys.

A month or so ago, I took a look at the Alienware M17x's specs, and decided that $6000 was a little bit over my budget. However, now that my paycheck has come in, that's changed - I can now afford one.

As such, I went to Alienware's website, and began customizing my M17x.

However, the specs are different - and potentially worse - than they were a month ago.

The primary specs that I have currently chosen are as follows:

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7 920XM 2.0GHz (3.2GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)
Video Card: CrossfireX™ 1GB ATI Radeon™ Mobility HD 5870
- Why don't they offer a 5970? Should I order my own 5970 and just replace theirs? How many graphics card slots does the M17x have?
Monitor: 17-inch WideUXGA 1920 x 1200 RGB LED (1200p)
Memory: 8GB Dual Channel Memory (2x 4GB DDR3)
- This is my primary concern. Previously, they had offered 8GB of Dual Channel Memory at 1333 MHZ. It no longer specifies the speed. What's up?
Hard Drive: 1TB Raid 0 (2x 500GB 7,200RPM HDDs)
- Will having two 500GB drives connected through raid be less efficient than one single 500GB 7,200 RPM Serial ATA drive?

Is the 85 WHr 9-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery for Dell Alienware M17x Systems accessory a redundant, built-in battery, or is it a replacement for those times when I cannot find a power outlet?

Also, I've heard that people are having issues with Dell's default drivers in that they are inefficient and cannot be uninstalled. Is this true?

Thanks for your time, guys. ^_^

[ 1 post ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS/Alienware Laptops/Notebooks