Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 625 - General Discussion

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Please, Please help with a couple of questions
 Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:14 pm 

Steam ID: WWX_Hard_Core
Hello all,

I just got my XPS625 today and it is a monster... I have not even turned it on yet as I am reading thru a very small booklet that was sent with the unit. It states that the 625 can do RAID 0, 1, 5 & 10. I only ordered the unit with 1 HD but I bought 2 more from Dell and want to use RAID 0, and keep the original HD offline for about a month, than see if I can add RAID 0 + 1. As anyone tried this ? Can anyone offer any suggestions on how I should proceed ?

Also I have 2 DVD's 1 DVD ROM and 1 DVD RW, they are taking up 2 SATA ports on the MOBO and the HD has the 3rd I only see 1 other SATA port open, Dell was kind enough to ship the unit with 2 spare SATA cables but I cannot find a 5th or 6th SATA port on the MOBO, I will check the AMD web-site and may get lucky there I noticed on the MOBO that the 1st SATA port is the HD and the 2nd and 3rd are the DVD's does it matter which order I connect the HD's in order to get RAID 0 working ? I would think so, but I am falling back to my IDE & IDE-E days and that was a long time ago, any help would be most appreciated.

Lastly, I really want to put my new system thru a battery of testing once I get it up and running, from everything I have read on this board, it seems that you better stress test these Dell's within the 21 days are your out of luck. Could you please point me to any and all testing programs you use for speed, video, heat and so on.

Thank you so much in advance,
I took a picture of the inside of my unit and will post it after I get unit up and running.

Take care,
Randy

Post subject: Re: Please, Please help with a couple of questions
 Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:38 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
I always test new computers with Memtest86+, so you might want to burn an ISO to CD, then boot from the CD, and run 3 full passes (each pass has 8 individual tests), might take a couple of hours.

I like CPUID Hardware Monitor, it allows me to see my GPU temps, CPU temp, Front Fan speeds, and see the current values, the min values, and the max values.

OCCT is a good stress tester, but make sure you are set up for temperature monitoring and have control of your fans thru the ESA software before running it.

GRC.com ShieldsUP can test your firewall.

CPU-Z and GPU-Z are good tools for gathering information about our hardware.

My XPS 630 Blog

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:44 pm 

Steam ID: WWX_Hard_Core
devjonfos wrote:
I always test new computers with Memtest86+, so you might want to burn an ISO to CD, then boot from the CD, and run 3 full passes (each pass has 8 individual tests), might take a couple of hours.

I like CPUID Hardware Monitor, it allows me to see my GPU temps, CPU temp, Front Fan speeds, and see the current values, the min values, and the max values.

OCCT is a good stress tester, but make sure you are set up for temperature monitoring and have control of your fans thru the ESA software before running it.

Thany you very much for the links to test out my machine, I just have to get this RAID 0 issue sorted and I should be good to go and kick-off some testing...

Take care,
Randy

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:51 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
rprobbins wrote:
devjonfos wrote:

Thany you very much for the links to test out my machine, I just have to get this RAID 0 issue sorted and I should be good to go and kick-off some testing...

Take care,
Randy

Looking forward to some pics! :D

My XPS 630 Blog

[ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 625 - General Discussion