Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 625 - General Discussion

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Got my new 625 - NO BOOT!!
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:31 am 

I felt like a kid at Christmas opening my new computer box this afternoon. However, all along I had this thought in my mind that I would get it all setup with my new HP 24" monitor and it wouldn't turn on. Well it did turn on...

However, nothing happened after that. Lights were on, fans were on, but nobody home. No boot no hard drive noise. I checked for loose connections looked over the Mobo cnxns. Time to call Dell - oh boy.

I talked to a guy for 45 minutes. He had me hold in the power button disconnect the power and monitor, retry, nothing. He had me try to re-seat the video card. I actually moved it to the other slot, nothing still. He had me pull all of the RAM out and boot to see if I heard any beeps, nothing. He had me pull the RAM and video card out to see if there were any beeps - this time three beeps, 1 second pause, three beeps, etc...

He says that means the Mobo is bad and sets up a dispatch. Well this sucks because I have to work. After he hangs up I put the memory and video card back in and...

Low and behold it booted up. Everything seems to be working correctly. I called back Dell and cancelled the new mobo install. So, that was fun, but no harm no foul I guess. Seems pretty sweet so far.

Post subject: Re: Got my new 625 - NO BOOT!!
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:15 am 

Steam ID: devjonfos
Didn't you know that the customer does the QC after the system leaves the factory? ;)

My XPS 630 Blog

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:27 pm 

devjonfos wrote:
Didn't you know that the customer does the QC after the system leaves the factory? ;)

No kidding! Don't they test these things at all before they send them out? It would really save them some time spent on customer service. Company of Heroes runs the graphics test WAY better than my old laptop. I'm pretty excited about playing it at 1920x1200 with everything on for a change!

Post Posted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:15 pm 

Glad you got your xps 625 and got it running correctly. This kinda goes along with my experiences. I would watch that motherboard closely and try out your video card in both slots to make sure both are operating properly (think there is a 21 day period to return for refund so i'd put it through its paces early on). As i had mentioned earlier in a previous post, i had an issue with crossfire not working and had to have a tech come out and replace my motherboard which fixed the issue. Hard for me to believe they dont test these things out before the PC's leave the factory.

I've had mine for couples weeks now and i am having a blast with it.

[ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum » XPS 625 - General Discussion