Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Other

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Failed to post using stock settings
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:00 pm 

I have a Dell XPS 630i with the stock motherboard. I am not overclocking the system and it is running with the default bios settings. The only options I have changed are disabling the floppy drive and changing the boot order of the drives. Everything else is stock.

Here are the specs & settings:
q6600 @ 2.4ghz
stock MOBO
4 1gb DIMMS of Corsair Dominator 800mhz EPP memory
-the memory is not overclocked. It is rated for 1066mhz, at timings of 5-5-5-15, at 2.2v
however since it is not overclocked and running to stock bios settings of 800mhz, 5-5-5-18, and 1.85v
Dell ATI Radeon HD 5770
DVD/RW drive
stock 750W PSU
Windows Vista 32bit
Hitachi 320gb hard drive
BIOS version 1.0.13 (the latest bios)
I use the Nvidia ESA tools 6.06 to control fan speeds

The RAM and video cards have tested good on other systems. I'm kinda at a loss here. As I said no overclock. System runs great, but in the morning when I turn the computer back on I get the setting has failed to post message:

Setting has failed to POST
System is using default setting for this POST attempt
Press F1 to continue, F2 to enter SETUP to adjust OC/OV setting

I know you can get this message when the system is unstable from overclocking, but again I am not overclocking the machine. It only happens in the morning after it has been off all night. Also I think if I leave it unplugged all night and then plug it back it and turn it on I don't get the message. It is only when it is plugged in all night while powered off. I need to test to confirm this, but I believe this to be the case. Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Failed to post using stock settings
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:29 pm 

FYI, i uninstalled the ESA 6.06 system utilities and that has solved the problem. I had a profile set to launch at startup and that seemed to cause confilcts. The only problem is that I wanted to use the ESA utilities to control the CPU fan speeds because you can't control the CPU fan with the dell thermal monitor. I think I'll try the ESA 6.03 utilities and have a profile launch not when windows starts, but when the CPU temp reaches a certain temperature.

Post subject: Re: Failed to post using stock settings
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:48 pm 

The only ESA utilities that I have been able to get to work more or less correctly is version 6.03 and I have it set to launch at startup. I use it for CPU and Case fans. All of the newer version have never worked correctly for me.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Other