Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Linux

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Testing the Linux Waters - Live CD vs Dual Boot
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:18 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
From Linux Today:

"Live CD's are bootable compact disks that allow you to explore the features of an operating system (in this case, Linux) as if you were in that particular OS. To use, you simply load the Live CD into your optical drive, boot up your PC, and presto! - You'd be on your way to your first Linux experience."

"Once inside, you’ll get to see everything that you'll find in a basic installation of the particular Linux distribution that came with the CD. Now this is not just a regular window-shopping experience, as you'll also be allowed to perform almost everything you can in a typical installation. That includes running programs, opening windows, exploring folders, checking out system resources, detecting hardware, viewing your Windows files and folders, and many others - even surfing the Web if you have an Internet connection."

http://steamingopencup.blogspot.com/200 ... -dual.html

My XPS 630 Blog

Post subject: Re: Testing the Linux Waters - Live CD vs Dual Boot
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:29 pm 

Have you played with any of the distro's at all on your XPS? I tried a few flavors of them on my old Dimension 8400. Had decent performance but I always found myself going back to windows for software that didn't work on linux.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:31 pm 

The Knoppix CD works and the Fedora 9 Live CD works. And I actually went ahead and installed the Fedora 9 about a month ago. Fedora 10 is out now.

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:46 am 

Ahhh.. Fedora.. Played with that one too.. Any issues at all?

Have you tried Ubuntu at all?

Post Posted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:11 am 

Other than RAID, no issues. But obviously RAID is an important component of Dell systems. I ended up disabling it, but I had an advantage of having a RAID 1 Mirror, so I ended up keeping my Windows partition without having to reformat because each disk is a mirror image of the other.

I found that the ESA Software was constantly in conflict with the BIOS whenever I made changes to the RAID configuration.

The proper order probably should have been to uninstall the ESA Software, boot into the Fedora 9 Live CD with "linux nodmraid", then install Fedora 9 into my spare hard drive. Or for those who definitely don't want Windows RAID:

1. Uninstall the ESA Software.
2. Disable RAID in BIOS.
3. Boot Fedora 9 Live CD and install.

But in the end it worked out for me and I still have my Windows partition for gaming (Crysis Wars), and I have full access to the Windows partition via Linux thanks to the new "ntfs_3g" driver.

I am also taking advantage of the fact the the MIO Board keeps a "memory" of your last Fan settings as long as you only do warm reboots. That way I keep my Fan settings while I'm in Linux (allows me to keep my OC while I'm using Linux).

There is also a package called "lm_sensors" that you can install and then you can put a Gnome applet on your task bar to monitor your core temps.

So other than gaming, I don't feel I've lost any functionality while using Linux. I use Firefox in both OS's, I use OpenOffice in both OS's, and I use GIMP (Graphics program) in both OS's. And with Firefox, I get the same plugins (Adblock, NoScript, flash, adobe, etc.)

I can go into more detail or you can ask me more specific questions if you decide you want to give Linux a whirl on your 630i.

My XPS 630 Blog

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Linux