Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Screen freeze - Lock up.
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:41 pm 

I have been having major issues with my 630i randomly locking up. Or at least it appears to be random.
Most of the time I am running 2 or 3 programs (for example: photoshop, IE6, microsoft outlook) when it happens but sometimes not. Most of the time it appears to be linked with video or graphics as 9/10 times when I convert or burn video it freezes but sometimes it just happens whilst sitting idle in the desktop or net surfing.
I have done so many diagnostics and at first I thought I was getting somewhere when i was getting block failures on the hard drives so I have replaced the hard drives. I run 2 but have changed 3. I replaced both Geforce 9800GT for new ones then replaced them again for 1 x GTX285 after still having issues.
I was on the phone to Dell for about 3 months who just kept sending engineers to replace everything and not actually work it out. So far i have had all the RAM / the CPU fan and cooler / the mother board / the optical drive and even the sound card all replaced on Dells warranty.
Still didn't sorted it.
Then I got rid of the external hard drives as these were stopping windows from booting up now and then so I thought maybe it was a read issue with them but that didn't fix it.
Originally it was a Vista 32 bit machine but then Dell upgraded me to Windows 7 32 bit machine which capped the RAM so I thought perhaps this was the issue so I complained some more until they sent me a disc for a Windows 64 bit clean install which is what the OS is now. I have re-installed windows a fair few times when replacing / reformatting hard drives and such but the issue still remains so now I'm at a total loss.
Perhaps a hardware confliction. A software or driver issue. Everything says its working properly......pphhtt.
It's driving me crazy. I have lost so much time and work I have to save things every 5 minutes just in case.
If anyone knows or could at least put me in a sensible direction how to fix this I would be very grateful. If I have to speak to someone at Dell again I may be in prison for a long time.

2 x Seagate 1TB 7200rpm SATA Drives with 32MB buffer
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
4096MB RAM - Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 - Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 2796 MB - Dedicated Memory: 1005 MB - Shared Memory: 1790 MB
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster - Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)

Post subject: Re: Screen freeze - Lock up.
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:01 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

From what I see, it can be anything. They basically replaced everything in the system already. Sometimes the components Dell sends for warranty can be faulty as well.

But here are my ideas on the potential faulty hardware:

1.) I would try to get Dell to replace your power supply, since that seems to be the only thing that hasn't been replaced (besides the processor, but see #2 on this). When the power supply ages over time, the capacitors will wear out, and it can cause a ripple effect, which happens at any time and is instantaneous, and they only way to tell is with a multimeter. When a ripple occurs, power consistency is not continuous, resulting in power fluctuations being delivered to your components. This can cause the freezing due to those super fast ripples occuring.

2.) It may also be your processor at fault. It is rare for CPU's to go bad, but they do at times. During video conversion, the CPU has quite a load on it. It could be that maybe the CPU memory cache has become defective, or something similar.

3.) It could be the motherboard. The 630i motherboard is known to be a POS, and I would not be surprised if they sent you a board that was defective. See if Dell can replace the motherboard again with the processor if possible.

If you still have warranty, I would make use of it while it lasts. I wouldn't put any more money into the system to try to fix it. If Dell cannot fix the issue, they may replace the system with another one if it comes down to that.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post subject: Re: Screen freeze - Lock up.
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:42 pm 

Thats great. I will find the patients and get on to them once more and post the results.
Thanks for your help.

2 x Seagate 1TB 7200rpm SATA Drives with 32MB buffer
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
4096MB RAM - Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 - Integrated RAMDAC
Display Memory: 2796 MB - Dedicated Memory: 1005 MB - Shared Memory: 1790 MB
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster - Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum