Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problems installing Dragon Age among others.
 Post Posted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:40 pm 

I purchased a Dell for the first time in a hope of avoiding some of the headaches that come with a home build. I can safely say that I would trade in the occasional issues I have had with my past home builds for what I ve exp with this Dell 630i.

Specs:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MOOSE-PC
System Manufacturer Dell Inc
System Model XPS 630i
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz, 2331 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.0.13, 5/5/2009
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume3
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
User Name Moose-PC\Moose
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.14 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 14.3 GB
Page File Space 8.29 GB

Now to the issues : Almost ever game I have installed has had an issue installing. World of Warcraft just doesnt happen. I have gone to just copying WoW from a working updated machine and keeping it on my passport. Aion was a nightmare to get installed but I finally got it working. It seems to all tie back to initial installation issues. The latest is Dragon Age Origins, I have tried all kinds of fixes but cannot get past about 50% without Data Error.

I have tried multiples fixes, and install locations, UAC on/off, chckdsk before install, temp file wipes, and numerous others. Has anyone had any successful fixes with Dragon Age? Its really sad to buy a machine solely for games and not know if your new game is even going to install.

I can provide more system info if needed buy was just wondering if anyone had similar issues with installs.

Post subject: Re: Problems installing Dragon Age among others.
 Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:54 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Welcome!

It sounds like you are having the same kind of issue as another user here, who had problems with WoW patches extracting. Im guessing this usually only happens when extracting and installing large files?

The problem all comes down to the system board. It is not commmunicating with the CPU properly, and therefore causing data corruption when extracting large files. I can only say, some people have good luck with a 630i board, and the majority have problems. Your best bet to aviod any further problems is to swap out that system board to a nice aftermarket one.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:22 am 

You also might want to check dell's website for updated firmware for whatever optical drives you have installed, this may fix some of the problems you are having.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:06 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: davbow
Maybe it is your computer trying to save you from hours and days of game playing . . .

just kidding! ;)

David

Intel i7 950 @ 3.9 GHz
MSI 560 Ti Twin Frozr x2 SLI @ 950 mhz
Gigabyte X58A-UD5
6 GB of Corsair memory (timings unknown atm)
H50 CPU cooler
DF-85 Chasis
3dMark11 P7800 at stock speed, P8643 overclocked

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:09 pm 

Thanks for the advice guys Ill keep checking on dell's site for any updates though I doubt I will see any. Im sure we are all aware of how dells phone support is. Looks like Dragon Age may be corrupt .rar's on the shipped disk. I still cant verify this but maybe this one isnt the machines fault for once.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:53 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

I would highly doubt it is corrupted .rar's on the disk. You should try to install it on another PC to test it out. But I highly doubt it is the disc if you had problems with WoW also.

Both my friends that have the 630i also had the problem with WoW not extracting the patches, and even had trouble installing Mass Effect 2 and other games that had large file extraction. It was all fixed by swapping the motherboard out, as we tried different hardware for everything in the system.

Just my thoughts.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:28 pm 

Xander117 wrote:
Thanks for the advice guys Ill keep checking on dell's site for any updates though I doubt I will see any. Im sure we are all aware of how dells phone support is. Looks like Dragon Age may be corrupt .rar's on the shipped disk. I still cant verify this but maybe this one isnt the machines fault for once.

Just so you know, there are over 20 different firmwares posted on dells site here http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... WLH&osl=EN
I may not say anything specifically about Dragon Age, but you could give it a shot and see if it works. It's easy and doesnt' take very long.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:13 pm 

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
I would highly doubt it is corrupted .rar's on the disk. You should try to install it on another PC to test it out. But I highly doubt it is the disc if you had problems with WoW also.

Both my friends that have the 630i also had the problem with WoW not extracting the patches, and even had trouble installing Mass Effect 2 and other games that had large file extraction. It was all fixed by swapping the motherboard out, as we tried different hardware for everything in the system.

Just my thoughts.

M3th which board did you go with. I tried updating a board in an old dell one time, and with all the dell only stuff in there it was a nightmare getting stuff lined up an mounted (this was a long time ago). Im to the point where I m ready to try swapping it out.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:26 pm 

Would a 780i be a good replacement. Price isnt too bad, and if it would be a solid replacement im up for it.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:32 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Xander117 wrote:
Would a 780i be a good replacement. Price isnt too bad, and if it would be a solid replacement im up for it.

That would be a PERFECT board, especially the EVGA/XFX Brands, because it doesnt require any modding. Fits in without any problems whatsoever. The only thing is that the heatsink might not fit properly. Under the motherboard, is a black retention bracket that holds the heatsink. If you unscrew the black bracket from the case, you may still be able to use it with the new motherboard.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:53 pm 

Thanks M3th, having a problem finding a non-refurb'd board. I guess I could get one, but it worries me getting those. There are some ASUS boards out there, any opinion on these http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... kwCjCECjCE or I can pick up a 750i if that would work with the system http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... kwCjCECjCE and it would be an EVGA board.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:33 pm 

New board installed, and guess what 1st time running blam no problems clean install just spent a couple hours playing Dragon Age....It amazes me that Dell wont own up to an issue like this. I ended up ripping everything out of the dell case and throwing it in one of my custom cases. A new cpu fan and I was ready to go. Any who just wanted to let everyone know the outcome, and thanks for the advice on the board.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:43 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

No problem buddy, I am glad to hear it is working properly.

Yea, I dont know why Dell never took an initiative to come up with a new design for a board for the computer, or even better, just recall the system completely and at least get people their money back or another system.

Now that you have upgraded the motherboard, you will be clear of many more obstacles the stock Dell board would have put you through.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

[ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum