Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: audio output settings
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:38 pm 

Dear All,

I did re-install my Vista again recently and I do not find anymore where to set which audio output is active (front or back). Is this a specific third part software that came with my XPS 630i ?
At the moment, I do not have any sound when connected to the front audio output, only the rear one seems to be active.

Post subject: Re: audio output settings
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:10 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Welcome to the forums.

You need to install the audio drivers. It sounds like you have a X-Fi sound card in the system, because usually Windows will install the onboard sound during install.

If you do have the sound card, will need to download and install the Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio Driver from the 630i Download Page. Make sure you choose the correct version of Windows that you are running.

http://supportapj.dell.com/support/downloads/driverslist.aspx?os=WV64&catid=-1&dateid=-1&impid=-1&osl=EN&typeid=-1&formatid=-1&servicetag=&SystemID=XPS_630I&hidos=WW1&hidlang=en&TabIndex=

The driver will be the first download under the audio section.

If you do NOT have the SoundBlaster X-Fi, then you will need to download the 2nd Driver under the audio section, for the onboard Realtek Sound.

Also, it is good to put your system specs in your sig, so we can help you troubleshoot a bit easier.

Hope that helps.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:13 pm 

I do have the Xi-Fi.
The realtek is the embeded sound chip on the mother board if I well remember.
So it might be that the front plugs are handled by the motherboard and the rear one - as they are on the Xi-Fi board - by the Xi-Fi driver.

I will play a little with those drivers. Thanks a lot for your input.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:16 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

The front audio should be handled by the X-Fi as well. If you look inside the system, you should see a black wire going to the X-Fi card, which is the front audio cable.

The X-Fi's front audio will not work if the drivers and software for the card are not installed.

Since you have the X-Fi, make sure to disable the Onboard sound in the BIOS, as it will cause conflicts sometimes between the 2 sound chips.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:39 pm 

I got it !

What I was looking for was not located within the driver but in the various softwares provided on the driver CD. Now I can switch easily from back to front plugs ;)

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum