Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: 630i doesn't power completely down.
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:05 pm 

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but very glad to have found it.

I have a 630i that's giving me fits. I'm sure this is really .... dumb.

But I can't get it to power all the way down. I'm using Vista 64. When I go through the shutdown menu all that happens is that the monitor and harddrives power down.

The front lights and the power supply and fan keep going.

To turn the computer all the way off, I've been waiting for Vista to shut down, then waiting a long time to be sure the computer won't surprise me and shut down on its own, then holding in the start button until everything powers down and stops.

To start back up, I then push the power button - which then requires F1 to continue the boot sequence because it's miffed at the way I turned it all off.

I also have a lot of freezing up, but I assumed it was because I was using Photoshop CS4 with the latest Wacom tablet. It usually waits until I have put in a lot of effort on an image before locking up... very aggrivating. -- I'm assuming there are issues with 32bit programs on my 64bit machine. (BTW, Photoshop CS4 is installed in 64bit, but I have to use the 32bit version when I want to use plugins that don't yet support 64bit.)

Thanks for any help, and I apologize if this was a little too stupid for the forum :)

Dave

Post subject: Re: 630i doesn't power completely down.
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:41 pm 

Has it always been this way? Do you have system restore enable? You can try restoring to a different day. If it was giving me that much trouble, I personally would just format my drive and start over.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:05 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: billybigfoot
Your system may be going into low power state instead of actually turning off. You could try the next time you want to shut down:

Click the start button and then move the mouse all the way over to the little right pointing arrow at the bottom and select "Shut Down".

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:49 pm 

Hey thank you both!

It did not start off doing this.

Now that I think about it, it didn't really begin until I loaded Photoshop CS4, several plugins, and the newest Wacom pen tablet, all of which were added at one time.

I was thinking a restore point to a good period would put me back before I loaded all of my software which I did in the hours after receiving the computer.

I've done too many reformats that didn't solve or only postponed the reoccurence of the problem. I'd rather live with it than go through that will all of my software. (Wimp, I know - but big blocks of available time are so hard to find.)

BBF - I do think you're right about my system going into a low power state. I've using the "Shut Down" you suggested, but it seems to put it into an unrecoverable sleep mode.

SO I made some changes in "Control Panel" that - I thought - prohibited the machine from ever going into sleep mode, and just last night - the computer seemed to go into sleep mode (ie. powered way down. Very quiet, but with some dim lights that aren't normally on).

Oddly enough, the next morning, the system started normally (not the quick wakeup from sleep).

I don't know, may it lives. I've also had continuous updates from Vista which might be slowly realligning the stars.

As I investigated, I realized that Sleep Mode would generally be fine with me. But at this point I can live with what it's doing now.

Still have to be leary of the freezes when using Photoshop32 bit.

THanks very much for your suggestions. I really appreciate them!

Dave

Post Posted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:58 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: billybigfoot
Just another avenue of attack...

You mention a Wacom Pen tablet, well I had some really odd things happening with my lappy when using one of those tablets and resorted to uninstalling the Wacom software and only using the builtin Vista "Pen and Input devices" to control the darn thing.

Worth a shot I suppose.....

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum