Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum

[ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: XPS Suddenly locks
 Post Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 10:11 pm 

Well since Dell replaced my mother board from a bad bios update a funky thing has been happening. My system will suddenly freeze up. The monitors go completely black go into sleep mode. The hard drive light even stops blinking and you know that they NEVER stop blinking. It's a complete system failure and happens completely at random. I can run my computer for a week and it wont happen then suddenly it happens multiple times.

Today it happened while running a virus scan and then another while clicking on a thumbnail of a picture on my digital camera. It can happen while clicking on a link in youtube or when somewhere else.

The things that these all have in common I guess is that I'm always executing something at the time it freezes. It never happens let's say while typing or while drawing or watching a video. I will happen right when clickiing on something or runnning something. The virus scan is unattended but it opens files alot.

Is anyone else having this problem? It's a pain in the ass.

Michael

Post subject: Re: XPS Suddenly locks
 Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 1:58 pm 

Are you monitoring temperatures? With it being summer, I find the fans need to be ran a lot faster, on my XPS....

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:00 pm 

Fans haven't been spinning up at all here, air conditioning is on and the place is pretty cool. The machine is always pretty quiet.

Post Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:54 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

If you haven't already, you may want to try checking your RAM for any errors with memtest86+:

http://www.memtest.org/

You might also want to make sure you're using the latest BIOS version (1.0.13):

http://www.my630i.com/resources/install ... rboardbios

...I know you may be reluctant to try updating it, seeing as your last problem was caused by a bad BIOS, but at least a couple of users have seen lockup problems disappear after updating to the latest BIOS version.

In any case, I would try the RAM check first before attempting the BIOS update.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Fri May 29, 2009 3:00 am 

I had the same issue before, constantly getting random lockups even as the computer was booting up Vista.

When I ran a diagnostic, the test kept passing my hard drive test and one memory test. I just bought the hard drives 2 months ago so I knew it couldn't have been those. I was forced to reinstall the OS and start from scratch now I don't get the random freezing anymore. It had something to do with the hard drive firmware (boot drive) or the memory (dell memory).

I would run the mem test like the GD says and see if you can get some insight.

EVGA GTX 550ti 1TB FPBDell
Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz
Windows 7 Professional N
SIIG Sata PCI-E Controller Card
2x WD 500GB Raid 0
WD 500GB Boot Drive
SG 500GB Storage Drive
LaCie d2 1TB External HDD
Wacom Inutos4 Drawing Tablet

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 5:24 am 

Hey thanks for all the advice guys.

Well I ran the memtest and there was no errors. After running at re-boot there was a "Dirty Volume" error and the OS ran a check disk and fixed some errors. I will see how long I go with out locking up.

I installed the new firmware about four days ago and was hoping that would fix the issue. No luck.

It would suck to no end if I had to re-install the OS.

By any chance is there a resource for the way your bios settings should be configured? I have mostly the factory defaults right now.

Thanks again!!!

Michael 8-)

Post Posted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:54 am 

mikemiafl wrote:
Hey thanks for all the advice guys.

Well I ran the memtest and there was no errors. After running at re-boot there was a "Dirty Volume" error and the OS ran a check disk and fixed some errors. I will see how long I go with out locking up.

I installed the new firmware about four days ago and was hoping that would fix the issue. No luck.

It would suck to no end if I had to re-install the OS.

By any chance is there a resource for the way your bios settings should be configured? I have mostly the factory defaults right now.

Thanks again!!!

Michael 8-)

What are your system specs? There are several bios configurations dependant on what memory, cpu, etc... You might try upping some voltages in the bios, that has been the cause of more stability issues for me than anything else. Let me know what hardware you have, and we can decide what your cpu and memory voltages should be.

BFG 285 OCX and EVGA 285 Vanilla(clocked to SSC speed)
Windows Vista 64-bit
8Gig Corsair Dominator PC8500 @ 1066 mhz 5-5-5-15 2T, 2.1v
46" Sony LCD Display
640Gig SATA Primary Hard Drive
1TB SATA Hitachi Secondary Hard Drive
Sony Blue Ray Player SATA
Stock DVD/RW
Cooler Master HAF 932

Post Posted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:13 am 

I solved a similar problem by increasing the video cards' fan speed and the cage fan speed.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:34 am 

Well guys I haven't locked up in over a week now I think. Ever since the chkdsk was run automatically and fixed some errors. This is almost a record for me, not since they replaced the mother board. Will see if this continues.

Don't want to make too many changes at once, really want to figure out what part of the system is failing.

The fan thing really intrigues me though because the tech that replaced the mother board took the heat sync out and put it back. I wonder if she didn't seat it properly. In any case my fans aren't even spinning up.

I will post an update next week. In the mean time thanks to everyone for all their suggestions. I'm noting them to try on my next go at this.

michael

Post Posted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:10 pm 

mikemiafl wrote:
Well guys I haven't locked up in over a week now I think. Ever since the chkdsk was run automatically and fixed some errors. This is almost a record for me, not since they replaced the mother board. Will see if this continues.

Don't want to make too many changes at once, really want to figure out what part of the system is failing.

The fan thing really intrigues me though because the tech that replaced the mother board took the heat sync out and put it back. I wonder if she didn't seat it properly. In any case my fans aren't even spinning up.

I will post an update next week. In the mean time thanks to everyone for all their suggestions. I'm noting them to try on my next go at this.

michael

Uh, which fans? They all should at least be spinning.

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:50 am 

They are all "spinning" just doesn't sound like a vaccuum cleaner. My old DELL would get so loud every time I ran paint shop pro.

This one is nice and quiet, but yeah there's plenty of air movement going on.

Still no lock ups! I think this is a good sign.

Michael :)

[ 11 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum