Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum

[ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: XPS 630I BSOD
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:41 pm 

Hi all,

New to the forum and wanted to get some insight. I have an XPS 630i with the following specs:

Intel Quad core
4 gigs of RAM
Nvidia 9800GT

The standard XPS 630i that Dell offers. I've had this machine for 5 days, I bought it refurbished. Right out of the box it started to Blue Screen when playing games. No set time frame just crashes sporatically with the error:
Hardware Failure
Contact Vendor
System Halt.

I got on the phone with Dell support and they did their hardware tests and all of the other random tests they do including a debug and roll back of video drivers, up datuing bios, etc. Was on the phone for about 10 hours the first 3 days I got the PC. Very upset.

Nothing worked. During the debug, one tech told me that NTKRNLPA.exe, was causing the problem and decided to send me a new graphics card which I am waiting for now.

I've done some research and have seen that my case is not an isolated case. Others with my identical PC have experienced this problem, yet I cannot find out what the solution is. I know that Dell is aware of this problem because I asked 3 different techs and they all said "yeah, we know". Not to mention when I chatted with a couple they bothe used the same scripted response. Which tells me it's enough of a problem to warrant a script.

Bottom line is unless someone can tell me that the graphics card is the real problem I'm wondering if I should pack this thing up and send it back to Dell. Anyone know what the real issue is with these BSOD? My searching has found people having to replace not only the graphics card, but the RAM and the MOBO as well. I'd rather not take my chances and keep the machine past the 21 day return limit. Please advise. Thanks .

Post subject: Re: XPS 630I BSOD
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:05 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: billybigfoot
Gooch,

The first thing I would like to do is welcome you to the forum.

Now to you'r problem.

After a little Google search I've managed to come up with this fix.

It says "Problem: Ntkrnlpa.exe problems are caused by missing system files or broken system registry structures. This is a critical sign of an unstable system that is typically caused by improper maintenance of the computer."

Seeing as you got the system refurbished my guess is the refurbishment process was most likely a quick turn arround and ship out affair. If this fix doesn't work then my best advice would be to send it back.

Hope all goes well, please let us know how you get on.

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

Post Posted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:10 pm 

Many thanks,

I'll give it a try and report back.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:29 am 

hi new here also. great forum, very helpful

i'm having same problem as you. BSOD every day mostly within an hour of powering up. have spent some time talking to dell, i've reinstalled the OS numerous times, checked each memory and each graphic card in all slots. sent the machine back to dell and had the memory replaced. it still BSODed. they then sent a tech out week before christmas and a week later it started BSODing again. was in touch with them during the week and now i have to reinstall the OS again.

would love to hear of any solutions, by the way i've limited tech experience.

Intel Quad core extreme 3ghz
4G Ram
ATI 3870 x2 crossfire

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:24 am 

Hey there, sorry to hear about your BSOD and I feel your pain. Dell tried to send a tech out to my house with a new hard drive, mother board and graphics card. This was the second time I've seen a tech in as many days. Low and behold, they sent the wrong motherboard. I was livid. The tech wanted me to allow the hardware installer to install the hrad drive and GPU and then I would recie ve the MB in the next 4 days (becuase I missed the ship deadline time and it wouls have fallen on a Saturday). The phone tech said "hey, maybe that will fix the problem" I asked him if he really said that. That tells me that your have no idea whats wrong with the machine and your playing a dice game with my time and money. I told him I would not allow it and it was unacceptable and asked to speak to a supervisor. I layed into the next guy who picked up the phone for a good 3 minutes explaining to him that I have had the pc for 6 -7 days and I have been on the phone for roughly 3 to 4 hours every day since with tech support.

I demanded that he take every action to ensure I had a motherboard tomorrow. By the time I was done, he said he was going to send me a new pc and do a pc exchange and it would take 7 to 10 days before I had it. So now I am 2 weeks into a pc that is useless and awaiting a new one. Hopefully this one works. Pray for me brotha.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:57 am 

hi
can you let me know how you get on with dell. thier ringing me next monday and i think its about time this dog bites back. this problem has been ongoing since the summer, i've been as helpful with them as i can, but at this stage i just want a reliable computer.

spent last weekend reinstalling the OS again and updating all the software and drivers. again the computer runs fine for a few days and then the BSOD's start. seems strange..

also just on a side note, games that should run fine on this machine seem to have problems, strange crashes and freezes. i know this might be just a tweaking issue or a problem with the software itself but its just too many problems.

anyway best of luck with the new machine, hope it works out .

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:08 pm 

Thanks, I'll keep you posted. Maybe they did the exchange for me because I have been experiencing problems since day one of recieving the machine.

You should let them do there "thing" and sooner or later they are gonna have to cave and do something about it. If I were a betting man, I would say that there is something going on with the Mobo in these machines. What kind of error message do you get?

Post Posted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:23 pm 

just random blue screens.

i will know more on monday hopefully we'll get to the bottom of the problem. best of luck with yours.

Post subject: Update
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:12 pm 

So, Dell has sent me my new machine (exchange). So far so good. It also came better speced than the one I originally ordered. I wont go into any detail just in case it was a mistake on their end (that I'm happy to accept). Although, the upgrades could be a "we messed up, lets try to make up for it, or it could be a case of "we know what the problem is and it had to do with said components that they will no longer try to push onto consumers.

Any how, so far so good. I did get a BSOD once, after trying to take the machine out of sleep mode...If memory serves, I beleive the error was and NVD....dll or something to that affect.

I've logged in a few hours of Crysis and no crashes (as of yet). Keep your fingers crossed

Post Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:40 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: billybigfoot
Yep, sounds like the Nvidia driver's again. :roll:

You could try going back to your previouse driver and then installing the latest "over the top" of them, this has worked a couple of times for me, not guarenteed though! Worth a shot if all else fails.

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:46 am 

sorry about the delay in letting you all know what happened. dell tech arrived to replace the mobo again but forgot the simple fact that in order to replace it you have to make sure that you bring the part with you... anyway in fairness to him he spent an hour looking over my system and running tests, he heard the clicking noise coming from the HD so he ordered two new HDs. another tech arrived last thursday and replaced both HDs and reinstalled the OS. things were looking good all thursday afternoon with no BSODs although i was only on it for an hour or two. i was happy although, i had a few hours of trouble free use.

was away on friday so on sat. morning started installing my software, latest drivers and general housekeeping. over the last 12 hours i've had 7 BSODs. all starting with the code
0x1000008e or 0x00000050

thats my story to date, i've lost faith with this machine.

a very unhappy dell customer

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:30 am 

Hi,
I've been lurking around for some time now, but this topic's made me finally register to share my experience. Hopefully, this will help someone.

I ordered a Vista x64 (HP) PC from Dell some time ago, just before it was announced here that they actually started selling this OS on the 630. I just needed a quick cheap replacement for my old one. The most notable hardware in it is a Q9300, GT9800, and 6GB poor quality 800MHz RAM. The Q9300+n650i won't let me overclock the system even 1MHz. Or underclock. But that's OK.

Anyway. The PC came with a serious problem: it would work for a few minutes, then it would BSOD on me with a
Quote:
*** Hardware Malfunction
Call your hardware vendor for support
*** The system has halted ***
error. Very infrequently, I would get
Quote:
NMI: Parity Check
as explanation. Checking RAM, video, everything else, found out that the hardware was not at fault. The crashes were random and frequent, seemed to become worse when using USB or the network adapter. I actually managed to play UT Demo 2004 for a an hour or so once or twice, but that was the best the system could do.

So, I went into safe mode. The idea was simple: It's gotta be a system file. Most likely, a driver. If still crashes in safe mode, where only the most important drivers are loaded, I'll be able to put my finger on what's going on here.

I've spent some time troubleshooting in safe mode, and, to make a long story short, found that NVidia's files, the system drivers for the SATA controller, were corrupted. Not only that, but reinstalling them didn't replace them, uninstalling didn't remove them. So I went ahead and removed them manually from the driver cache and the system folder, as well as any traces from the registry. After uninstalling, of course. Restarted the system, installed the new drivers, made sure to not install any management utilities for network, et voila!--my system's been running rock-solid ever since. Except for the time when I installed ESA software over its older version. Bad idea. Crashes galore. Removed everything NVidia with Revo Uninstaller, restarted, restarted (for good measure), installed fresh drivers and ESA. Everything started working again.

I hope these steps help someone to prevent unnecessary hardware swaps.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:53 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Midknight: thanks for posting that! Unfortunately (as you've discovered), Nvidia's reputation for good quality drivers is rather shoddy at the moment. :( There are three of their files that apparently also cause problems with Sleep Mode in Vista (item 14 in the page below--My630i user Loch shared this):

resources/faq.html

mingnh: I'm very sorry that your system continues to crash. :( The only thing I can think of is, if you haven't already, perhaps asking Dell Liaison Chris Mixon (Dell-Chris_M on this board) if Dell could ship you a completely new/different unit? Sadly, past users' experiences have shown that some of these 630is are inherently lemons. :(

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:11 pm 

just a quick update, dell have had enough of me too, shipping a replacement system next week. fingers crossed it will run better than the last one.

many thanks to all here for advice and support.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:33 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Quote:
...shipping a replacement system next week.

Good news indeed--I'm just sorry it's been a rough and frustrating road for you getting there. :(

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:46 pm 

a last update, think my poor old 630 knows its leaving me, since i got the call last week saying they were replacing it, i had blue screens on a daily basis and then this morning one of the hard drives packed up. both drives were replaced last thursday week and i haven't done anything too taxing. guess it knew it was heading back to dell and it couldn't live with being a failure. and they say computers don't have a soul.......

anyway thanks for all the input guys and fingers crossed, the next one works better.

[ 16 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » Unofficial Dell Support Forum