Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows 7

[ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Windows 7 Home Premium Issues
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:45 pm 

Greetings and moo.

I stumbled upon this site while searching for a rather odd issue with my Dell XPS 630i I got about 1.5 years ago. My specs:

- Quad Core Intel
- 8GB of RAM
- 2 500GB hard drives. Not setup in a RAID. One is C: the other is D:.
- nVidia 9800 GT
- Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium (onboard sound is disabled)

For the longest time, it had the original Vista Home Premium 64-bit that came installed with the system. This past weekend, I decided to suck it up and do a clean Windows 7 Home Premium installation to get rid of Vista. That was the start of the fun.

Ever since I did my installation of Windows 7, things went south. The primary thing that went south was file copy from the system to 3 different destinations:

- Network Attached Storage - using either FTP or Windows copy through a mapped network drive - (DLink NAS-321 - 2 x Seagate 1TB drives set to mirror)
- External USB hard drives - I have 3 external hard drives that work on other systems, including my Mac and my work computer. They range in size from 250GB to 1TB.
- Hard drive to hard drive - My 630i shipped with 2 hard drives. One for C: and one for D:. Copying from C: to D: or vice-versa exhibits the problem.

What happens is, it will copy fine for about 200 or so files, I'm backing up my music, and then just quit. It refuses to copy and just gets stuck. It also will not cancel out the copy when it does get stuck. I have to shut my system off either with the power button or by unplugging the power cord. I do my file copy in small batches with no more than 50-75 files in a batch. This happens regardless of which of the 3 storage devices listed above I copy to.

I should also note that all file copy operations worked perfectly fine in Vista.

Things I have done, and that have not fixed the problem:

- Overheating - All temperatures are fine with CPU and GPU, etc
- Bad RAM - All tests pass
- Bad hard drives - All hard drives are fine including the USB drives
- Bad network cables - I have swapped cables on my computer and the NAS so many times, it makes my head spin.
- Bad USB cables - I have swapped these out as well.
- Eliminating middle networking equipment (only applies to the NAS) - the NAS and my computer both go through a Gigabit switch I use for fast local network copying. I have removed the switch from the equation and that doesn't help with copying to the NAS.
- Drivers - All drivers are up to date, including the nForce driver.
- Anti-Virus - Not installed. The last clean install I did, I did not install Anti-Virus.
- Used some of the tuning tips from http://www.speedguide.net for network performance.
- Turned off the Remote Differential Compression Windows Feature.
- Windows Firewall is disabled

I have read on other forums that others have had issues with Windows 7 Home Premium on a 630i, and that they had to go back to Vista. Which, if it comes down to it, I am more than willing to do at this point.

I have not tried:

- A different version of Windows 7 (i.e. Professional). I might do that tonight.
- Turning off Windows Defender.

I have heard from a co-worker and others that Windows 7 file copy just sucks. I am starting to believe it as I use Windows 7 Enterprise at work and at times I can see file copy turn into a big, steaming pile of fail.

Does anyone have any ideas or anything to shed any light on this? It's driving me nuts and I am pretty close to just going back to Vista since it at least worked.

Thank you for your time.

Post subject: Re: Windows 7 Home Premium Issues
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:01 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

I personally haven't had any issues worth noting (using Win7 Home Premium 64-bit), but I've been hearing some things--including a coworker who mistakenly thought his brand-new $1,000 Asus laptop was at fault for a consistently blank "Devices and Printers" window (which means some big headaches when it comes to device settings). Turns out it's a known problem with Win7, and Microsoft hasn't stated when/if they plan to fix it.

Type "windows 7 file copy" into Google and you'll see "slow" and "hangs" automatically pop up as search options--you're certainly not alone!

Maybe one of our gurus can shed more light on this, but it certainly looks like you've already done your homework on this issue. It may be high time for Microsoft to get their act together...again. Where's SP1 when you need it? :crazy:

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:02 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Back when I had my 630i, I never had used Windows 7 on it, but I definitely never had a problem like you described.

I would like to get some more info on your system though, particularly the exact quad core CPU (IE : Q6600, Q8200, Q9550, etc), and the version of the BIOS you are currently running. This is usually displayed at bootup at the Dell Logo.

I know that in order to use Windows 7 on the 630i motherboard, it is recommended to have the latest BIOS, which is 1.0.13 I believe.

Please get back to us with that info and we can go from there.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:23 am 

Hello!

Thanks for the replies. In regards to the BIOS: I have 1.0.12 installed. I am currently downloading and installing 1.0.13 right now.

As far as the CPU, I have an Intel Quad Core Q9400 2.66GHz with 2 x 3072 KB L2 cache.

I also just put Windows 7 Professional on it, and it locked up too on a very small 1.9MB file copied to my NAS through a Windows share. That's on a plain Windows 7 Professional installation with Windows drivers and Remote Differential Compression disabled. I have yet to install more since I am currently testing it. I have also not tweaked the network yet with netsh commands from speedguide.net.

Oh and one other thing I forgot to mention, all copies of Windows 7 that I have access to are legit. No cracks or workarounds or anything else.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:37 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

I remember another user having a similar problem to yours, except they had extraction problems from large files.

My certain guess is that the motherboard has a problem. If the BIOS update fixes it, then you are good to go. But if not, then most likely the motherboard will need to be replaced.

For some reason, the stock motherboard does get some problems with the Q8x and Q9x cpus after a while. It usually results with errors in copying files, typically large file sizes, and errors extracting files from zip or rar compressions.

If the BIOS update does not fix your problem, the next thing I would probably try is to reinstall Windows Vista again, and see if you continue to get the same problem. If not, then we will look at drivers, and see whats going on there.

If all else fails, I can only recommend replacing the motherboard, if you have warranty with Dell, or just get an aftermarket motherboard, preferably an EVGA/XFX 780i SLI board. This normally fixes all the crap problems users experience with Dell's stock board.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:01 am 

So, funny story.

Right now, the system is bare with no extra software, including drivers, except for Filezilla.

I was sitting here thinking "Did I ever put on any stupid Windows Updates?" Why? Because in my Windows 7 Home Premium install on my Mac in VMWare Fusion, everything's fine. Which told me it will work, but what did I forget? *light bulb appears*

You can probably guess the answer to that. Uh no. I completely forgot to put on Windows Updates in most cases. (I think I may have done it on my initial Home Premium install, but not any reinstall since).

So, I put on all Windows Updates for this install of Windows 7 Professional, and I'll be damned if it doesn't work. I have uploaded over 2000 files to my NAS through Filezilla with 0 lock ups. It would have died by now.

There must be a fix somewhere in those Updates that helps me. I also still have yet to tweak the network settings.

Stay tuned, I may have fixed my own problem due to PEBKAC. :-)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:14 pm 

So, I think my problem was twofold:

1. Windows Updates - There is something in the Windows Updates after a initial installation that appears to help me resolve my issue, at least on my system.
2. "Corrupt Files" - I use quotes because there were 1-5 files that wouldn't copy, but they copied fine in Vista. They would cause the copy process to lock, as indicated in my original post. Those files were removed and everything is fine.

I am now using a sync program to move the files from my system to my NAS (I got tired of figuring out what was copied over and what wasn't.). As of this morning before I left for work, so far, so good.

Thanks for the help. I now have a strange issue with my sound but I think that's my fault in that I turned the volume too low because the default setting of 65 in the Windows Volume Control is a wee bit too much. :)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:18 pm 

Yes, I usually review the updates and then install them. I don't install device drivers or the miscellaneous software from microsoft though. Just usually the OS updates.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:49 pm 

KevinK37 wrote:
Yes, I usually review the updates and then install them. I don't install device drivers or the miscellaneous software from microsoft though. Just usually the OS updates.

Kevin

Yep. That's all I did was the standard Windows security fixes. No drivers. The drivers from Microsoft scare me. :)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:45 pm 

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
I remember another user having a similar problem to yours, except they had extraction problems from large files.

My certain guess is that the motherboard has a problem. If the BIOS update fixes it, then you are good to go. But if not, then most likely the motherboard will need to be replaced.

For some reason, the stock motherboard does get some problems with the Q8x and Q9x cpus after a while. It usually results with errors in copying files, typically large file sizes, and errors extracting files from zip or rar compressions.

If the BIOS update does not fix your problem, the next thing I would probably try is to reinstall Windows Vista again, and see if you continue to get the same problem. If not, then we will look at drivers, and see whats going on there.

If all else fails, I can only recommend replacing the motherboard, if you have warranty with Dell, or just get an aftermarket motherboard, preferably an EVGA/XFX 780i SLI board. This normally fixes all the crap problems users experience with Dell's stock board.

So, I spoke too soon and I am having issues again. I just reread this from m3th0d1c4l and noticed the issue with the Q9x and the motherboard.

Tonight, I will reinstall Vista Home Premium and see what happens.

Unfortunately, my service contract is up and I didn't renew it (I got the system in March of 2009). So, I fear the motherboard replacement.

I used to work for Dell in support back in 1998-2000, and I have since forgotten what the procedure is for parts when a system is out of warranty. Lol! :)

Thanks again for the info. I'll keep you posted.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:45 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Well, you can always call up Dell and purchase another warranty for the system. They will just charge you a reinstatement fee (i think $49.00 if I am not mistaken), along with the purchase price for the warranty.

But when you are purchasing the warranty, you CANNOT tell them that the system has a problem. Just tell them everything is fine with it and everything works. :rofl:

Then call back in a couple days and get them to replace the motherboard. They may not have any more of those motherboards in stock for that system so they may even do a system replacement. But at the end, if you have a Dell machine, its always good to make sure you got warranty.

Either that, or you can buy an aftermarket motherboard. I would probably say go with extending the warranty, as its hard to find those XFX/EVGA 780i boards, and you probably wont get any warranty on those boards either, unless you manage to find a brand new one retail. But its up to you on what you decide to do.

But first try Vista and see what happens. I am just curious to see if its a software problem.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:50 pm 

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
Well, you can always call up Dell and purchase another warranty for the system. They will just charge you a reinstatement fee (i think $49.00 if I am not mistaken), along with the purchase price for the warranty.

But when you are purchasing the warranty, you CANNOT tell them that the system has a problem. Just tell them everything is fine with it and everything works. :rofl:

Then call back in a couple days and get them to replace the motherboard. They may not have any more of those motherboards in stock for that system so they may even do a system replacement. But at the end, if you have a Dell machine, its always good to make sure you got warranty.

Either that, or you can buy an aftermarket motherboard. I would probably say go with extending the warranty, as its hard to find those XFX/EVGA 780i boards, and you probably wont get any warranty on those boards either, unless you manage to find a brand new one retail. But its up to you on what you decide to do.

But first try Vista and see what happens. I am just curious to see if its a software problem.

See, I knew I forgot something already. I have a MacBook Pro I bought last year, and once the AppleCare is up, you are more or less SOL unless you renew it before it expires. I thought the same applied here which is why I thought I was screwed.

I think my system has a 650i chipset according to the manual. I did at one point in this process install the nForce drivers for the 650i chipset when I had Windows 7 Home Premium and they did apply correctly, but it didn't seem to fix the issue. I might try that again, but I doubt that will help.

I went ahead and hit up my local Best Buy and snagged a SATA enclosure today so I can get access to the files another way. That will also determine if it's the motherboard/the SATA port on the motherboard, or even the drive itself. I am also going to swap the SATA cable to the 3rd SATA port on the motherboard.

I am curious if it is a software problem too. Everything really did work perfectly with Vista x64 Home Premium. The only thing I have changed was Vista to Windows 7. Yes, it's a big change, but that's why I keep thinking it's Windows 7. :)

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:02 pm 

Issue resolved.

First, I tried to reinstall Vista, but since my system came with Vista, I have never freshly installed it, and therefore did not know about the bug of "Install Vista with more than 2GB of RAM installed? Ha, have a Stop 7E!" So, I opted to remove the hard drive, put it in the enclosure I got yesterday, and try on my Mac with Windows 7 in a VM.

Lo and behold, when I tried to copy stuff off of it, it failed, horribly. But, if i move stuff off of it, it was fine.

So, I fired Windows 7 back up on my 630i and I will go get a new hard drive today at lunch.

Fortunately, I did somehow manage to get all my music to my NAS. So, I didn't actually lose anything. Woo! :)

Thanks all for your help. If it isn't the hard drive, then I'll muck with the motherboard and stuff.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:10 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

That is odd. I have never seen a hard drive in failure that copies to itself but not other devices....

Maybe its in a bad sector. Well, you can try and see what happens with a new hard drive. I would at least try using your original hard drive as a blank backup drive first. Wipe it clean, and use it in the SATA enclosure on your Mac. Then try copying files to and from the Mac with the hard drive, and see if you get the same errors. Because in a VM, its not necessarily a "full proof" way of checking it out.

If it fails as a backup drive copying files to and from the Mac, then we can rest assure its the drive. But even then, it may not show symptoms if the files are copied to good working sectors.

Let us know what happens.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:03 pm 

After a bit of testing over the weekend, I have determined that the planets aligned just right for my hard drive to fail when I decided to put on Windows 7. The hard drive will not function on my Mac either, even after I reformatted it to work with OS X.

It was just a random coincidence, but it appears the issue was the drive. I have had the new hard drive in for a while and it's been copying to itself and other drives without issue. (New drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB: The old drive was a 500GB Barracuda. The new one is a different model number, but pretty much identical to the one that came with the system. Same RPM, etc.)

I have Windows 7 Professional x64 running on my 630i now and all seems right with the world.

Side note: I did somehow manage to copy all of my music to my Network Attached Storage drive before all hell broke loose. So, I actually didn't lose anything. Whew.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:28 pm 

Hey bovineone, I just read your recent post and I see that you said it was a Seagate. Well, if it came from Dell, and it is this model, Seagate ST3500620AS 500GB LF S2 HDD, then there is a firmware update here http://support.dell.com/support/downloa ... ormat=true You could give it a try and see if it solves your issues.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

[ 16 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows 7