Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » Tips & Tricks

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: An extra layer of security: DEP
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
DEP, Data Execution Prevention, adds another layer of security in addition to your anti-virus program, firewall, strong passwords, browsing with NoScript, etc.

Rogue programs will attempt to execute code where they should not be executing code (on the data pages, like the corrupted stack during a code injection exploit) and will attempt to infect your system through a unpatched vulnerability or a new exploit not yet documented.

Microsoft wrote:
DEP can help block a class of security intrusions. Specifically, DEP can help block a malicious program in which a virus or other type of attack has injected a process with additional code and then tries to run the injected code. On a system with DEP, execution of the injected code causes an exception.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352

So if you haven't already, please consider turning on DEP for all programs and services. Not only will it keep rogue programs out, but it will keep poorly programmed "legitimate" programs from misbehaving as well (hence the Crysis and Oblivion exceptions in my list).

P.S. Now if anyone says why didn't you mention this before, I posted here back in August 2008, so there, hmmpf.

P.P.S. Only my wife, billybigfoot, and davbow ignore me, I hope the rest of you will listen to me, lol.

My XPS 630 Blog

Post subject: Re: An extra layer of security: DEP
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:01 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: billybigfoot
Sorry, did you say something jon.

:lol:

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

[ 2 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » Tips & Tricks