Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion

[ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Overclocking Assistance - oem motherboards only
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:42 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

DISCLAIMER
UNDERSTAND THAT OVERCLOCKING YOUR SYSTEM IN ANY WAY IS DONE SO AT YOUR OWN RISK. THE INFORMATION YOU RECEIVE HERE IS PURELY OPINION AND IS NOT AUTHORIZED BY DELL, INTEL, OR ANY OTHER MANUFACTURER. YOU ALSO STAND THE CHANCE OF VOIDING YOUR WARRANTY BY OVERCLOCKING, WHICH IS PROHIBITED BY MOST MANUFACTURERS. IF YOU ARE NOT COMFORTABLE WITH MAKING CHANGES TO YOUR SYSTEM, AND ARE NOT WILLING TO ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR MAKING SAID CHANGES, PLEASE STOP NOW!!

This thread is specifically for assistance overclocking your Dell 630i, with an oem 650i motherboard. Overclocking is achievable with all processors OTHER THAN the Q9000 series cpu's. Unfortunately, the stock motherboard does not allow the Q9k series cpu's to be overclocked. If you have a Q9k series cpu, you are going to have to upgrade your motherboard, which isn't difficult, and there is another sticky thread already started with tips on how to change it.

So, if you are interested in overclocking your E8400/8500, Q6600, etc. with a stock motherboard, you are in the right place.

Use this forum for overclocking only. If you have any other questions, please post it in another thread or start a new topic.

Step 1 of the overclocking process is to understand the process itself. If you haven't done so already, please read this thread in its entirety:
http://www.my630i.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3219

After you have read, and followed the instructions from the thread listed above, please post your BIOS template, with all of the required information, here, and someone will be glad to help you.

This thread is a work in progress, so please check back for frequent updates and changes.

EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N @ 1500MHz
Dual Corsair Neutron GTX 256GB SSD's in RAID0
Corsair AX1200 power supply
Win7 x64 Ultimate
Lian LI PC-P80B case w/ custom window and lighting
Koolance ERM-2K3U Rev 1.1 (copper) external water cooler
Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 monitor
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Audio System

Last edited by JDookie on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Overclocking Assistance - Post here
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:43 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Saved for future use

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post subject: Re: Overclocking Assistance - Post here
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:43 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Saved for future use

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post subject: Re: Overclocking Assistance - Attn: billybigfoot
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:01 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

I thought I will take the time to elaborate step 1 regarding to overclocking on your stock 630i motherboard.

:o Let's Remember Some Very Important Factors While Overclocking on the Stock 630i Motherboards... :o

What is overclocking :?:

This was probably mentioned but I will explain again. Overclocking is making your CPU, memory, motherboard, and video card operate beyond rated specs. The rated spec is the stock speed for the specific hardware. For the cpu and memory, you are adjusting the speed and the voltage. For gpu’s, you will mostly adjust the speed but there are a few gpu’s that will allow you to experiment with the voltages.

They say overclocking is an art but there is some science behind this. The science behind this is understanding what you have to experiment with when overclocking. This requires tons of patience and do understand that this is a trial & error process.
I almost forgot one very important thing you should know...the warranty of the cpu will be voided once you start overclocking.

A) Limitations (referring to the 630i motherboard) – Every stock 630i mobo will not overclock the same. Every cpu will not be overclocked the same with the stock 630i motherboard. This goes the same for overclocking memory. The motherboard has no effect when overclocking the gpu. The gpu is the only hardware that is independent (motherboard does not effect the overclocking limitations of the gpu).

The cpu’s overclocking limitation is dictated by the motherboard, memory, cpu cooling method, and ambient (room) temperature. Since the stock 630i motherboard can only reach a FBS of 1700MHz (depending on dual core that is being used), the use of a good cpu heatsink is about all you need.

B) Overclocking in the Bios or Nvidia Utility App – I’m not going to waste much time talking about this one but believe me when I say this (since we’re talking about the stock 630i motherboard), overclock through the bios. Do not overclock using the Nvidia utility app. You will have more of an advantage overclocking through the bios with the stock 630i motherboard.

C) Dividers - The ratio of CPU:RAM is known as a divider. The best performance is achieved through highest possible stable operation in synchronous (1:1) CPU:RAM operation (known as linked & synced). The higher the FBS (full bus speed) for the cpu & memory, the better it is. If you have memory operating @ 1066MHz, I recommend you have the memory linked & synced with the cpu. If your memory is operating @ 800MHz, depending on the type of memory, linked & synced might not be the best choice when overclocking. I had experienced both sides of the spectrum when using 800MHz memory on the stock 630i motherboard.

D) CPU Multipliers – The stock 630i motherboard can only overclock E8000 series & Q6600 cpu’s, I recommend that you do not lower the multiplier of the cpu when overclocking.

E) Memory/RAM Timings – All memory modules have timings. The tighter the timings (smaller numbers) the better it performs. For the stock 630i motherboards, you want to have memory that is 4.4.4.12 (800MHz) or 5.5.5.12 (1066MHz).

F) Voltages - Different components of the system receive different amount of voltage, and it is generally necessary to increase voltages as frequencies are increased beyond stock speeds. Excessive voltage can shorten the life of component or cause failure.

G) Temperatures & Cooling – As mentioned earlier, a good reliable heatsink is recommended when overclocking. The stock heatsink is okay but depending where you live which can effect the ambient (room) temperature might require you to invest in a better heatsink. You also have the option to use water cooling but you might have to do some case modding. Same goes for cpu heatsinks. Depending on the size of the heatsink, you might have to do some case modding.

H) Stepping Type & Spec Number – When Intel releases cpu’s, they are categorized by it’s stepping type and spec number. This determines and seperates the great overclocking cpu’s and the decent overclocking cpu’s. To determine if your cpu is an excellent overclocker, “Google” the review for the cpu you are using. When Intel cpu’s are being reviewed on these computer sites, they will either tell you the stepping type or you will see it from a posted CPU-Z result image. This can also benefit you while learning to overclock your cpu. Always look & read carefully at the CPU-Z images of the overclocked cpu during the cpu review on these sites. This will give you a clear idea how much voltage is required for specific cpu overclocks.

I) CMOS Jumper - Unstable overclocking settings can cause a system to freeze and/or not boot. Should rebooting not reset the system, stock settings can be restored by manipulating the CMOS jumper. You need to know where it is on your stock 630i motherboard…you will definitely need it while learning how to overclock.

J) Stress Test Apps – As mentioned already, the primary choice for the stress tester is OCCT Linpack (Max. 90% Free Memory). To determine cpu stability, it’s best to be able to pass at least 2 to 3 different stress tests. The more tests the cpu passes, the more stable it is. For example, you can pass 4 hours of OCCT and possibly fail 20 passes of LinX. This is trial & error, so tweaking the settings will be unavoidable. There are Orthos, LinX 0.6.1, Intel Burn 2.3, and Prime95 32bit & 64bit for stress testing the cpu. For testing memory, you should use Memtest. All of these programs can be “Googled.”

This is all for now. I will elaborate on the stress test programs periodically. I will continue to add and edit to this post. If you see anything that is confusing, please pm me about it and I will make the correction to this post.

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Last edited by drBlahMan on Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:02 am, edited 9 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Overclocking Assistance - Attn: billybigfoot
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:02 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Save for future use.

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Post subject: Re: Overclocking Assistance - oem motherboards only
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:33 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Steam ID: fasterrhoads
Save for future use.

New Case Coming: Intel Core i7 980-X @4.5GHz*EVGA X58 E770 Classified 3 Way*Corsair H100 4 Scythe Fans Push/Pull*Mushkin Redline 6GBs 1600Mhz*EVGA GTX 570SC*WD Velociraptor 600GB*Lamptron Fan Controller Touch*Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W Sleeved*Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate*

New O.C. 5.13.11

Previous CPU:

BIOS Templates

Supported PhysX Games
Click Here

Last edited by fastrhoads on Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:34 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Steam ID: fasterrhoads
Save for future use

New Case Coming: Intel Core i7 980-X @4.5GHz*EVGA X58 E770 Classified 3 Way*Corsair H100 4 Scythe Fans Push/Pull*Mushkin Redline 6GBs 1600Mhz*EVGA GTX 570SC*WD Velociraptor 600GB*Lamptron Fan Controller Touch*Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W Sleeved*Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate*

New O.C. 5.13.11

Previous CPU:

BIOS Templates

Supported PhysX Games
Click Here

Post Posted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:44 am 

Yeah, what they said. :D Jdookie has been a great help to me in OC my E8500.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:44 am 

Hi all hope i can get some major help from all of you
Please let me know what other info you need thanks a bunch
BImochi :mrgreen:

CPU: INTEL CORE 2 DUO QUAD @ 2.4 STOCK
RAM used: Ballistix 4 x 1GB's @ 1066MHz
CPU Heatsink: Dell OEM
Power Supply: Dell 750w
Windows Version: 7/64BIT
GPUs: 2 EVGA 260GTX Superclocked in Sli
BIOS Version: 1.0.13 (5/05/2009)
Additional fans: N/A
IDLE Core Temps 30/31/27/32
CPU Loaded Core Temps:55/55/51/51
Stress Test came back flawless

**System **
CPU Freq, MHz: 2400.0
FSB Reference Clock, MHz: Auto
CPU Multiplier: [9X]
PCle Bus, Slot 1, MHz: [100]
PCle Bus, Slot 2, MHz: [100]

**Overclock FSB & Memorv Config**
FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
FSB - Memory Ratio: Auto
FSB (QDR), MHz: Auto
Actual FSB (QDR), MHz: 1066.7
x MEM (DDR), MHz: 800MHz
Actual MEM (DDR), MHz: 800

**Memory Timing Setting**Memory Timing Setting: Expert
tCL (CAS Latency): 4
tRCD: 4
tRP: 4
tRAS: 12
Command Per Clock: 1T

** Advanced Memory Settings **
tRRD:3 [Auto]
tRC:23 [Auto]
tWR:5 [Auto]
tWTR:9 [Auto]
tFAW:????? [Auto] I dont have this in my settings????
tREF:Auto [Auto]7.8uS

**System Voltages**
CPU Core: 1.40v Auto
CPU FSB: 1.30v Auto
Memory: 2.00v
Chipset Voltage nForce SPP: 1.35v Auto

**CPU Configuration**
C1E Function:Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled Auto
Virtualization: Disabled
SpeedStep: Disabled
Frequency Unlimited: Enabled Auto

And JDookie this is after I changed my settings with the ones you gave me ..There in Red

Samsung SyncMaster 2233RZ 3D Ready With The Glasses

Post Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:51 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Bimochi,

Glad to hear from you. I was beginning to wonder if you gave up on me! :shock: :lol:

First, do me a favor and edit your cpu description. Just put your cpu model (Q6600, E8400, etc.) and the stock speed, which you already have (2.4GHz). Also, edit your FSB Reference Clock. This is just your stock FSB (1066MHz) so that everyone can see where you started from.

Anyway, now that you are all set up and ready for overclocking, you're going to want to *slowly* increase FSB (QDR) until you get some type of error like a lockup, no post, BSOD, etc. When this occurs, it will mean that we need to start increasing voltages. Also, at this point, we are going to take the voltage off of [Auto] and actually lock them down because some boards start to really ramp up voltages as you increase FSB, and we don't want anything to change unless we make the change ourselves. This is the safest way.

So, for your first overclock, make these changes. Don't forget to uninstall Peformance prior to making any BIOS changes, the reinstall it afterwards, then restart your computer, set your fans to 100% and then check stability with OCCT Linpack. Do this between EVERY BIOS change you make.

Start with these settings, test, then give me the results complete with loaded temps.

FSB (QDR), MHz: [1200]

**System Voltages**
CPU Core: [1.4V]
CPU FSB: [1.3V]
Chipset Voltage nForce SPP: [1.35V]

Notice, for the voltages, all I did was keep the same values your motherboard was already using, but locked them down by taking them off Auto. These are the three voltages you will have to adjust as we overclock, and the lower the better for all of these.

Also, does your BIOS not have a voltage option for MCP?? It would be right above or under nForce SPP. If it's there, and just not in your template, please add it to your template, and lock it down as well to its stock voltage setting.

Test this, and then post back with results and temps.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:48 am 

Hey sorry JDookie for taking so long to reply back ive been doing my brothers floors after work and havent had any free time so dont worry im going to keep coming back till i know i reached my limits 8-) ......

Anyways Id tried the setting you gave me and it would boot up but fail as soon as i started the occt so i reset and tryed to uninstall performance but it would not let me saying cant find a file ... anywayz i had to reformat my hd and did a fresh install so before i start OC again i would like to know if you have a other way of turning up the fan speeds without Nvidia Performance ... please let me know thanks mike ...... and sorry going to the store real quick ill change my signature when i get back ....BRB

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:54 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

There's a ton of discussions going on right now concerning that very topic. Just browse through the forums and you'll see them.

You have a few options:

1) Install Dell Thermal Monitor instead of Nvidia Performance which controls all your fans reliably EXCEPT your cpu fan, which would mean that you would have to buy a new non-pwm fan for you cpu heatsink that would hook up to one of your molex power connectors and run at 100% all the time, or buy an adapter for the existing fan that goes from 4-pin to molex and run that fan at 100% all the time.

2) Don't use any kind of software to control the fans and install a manual fan controller instead, in one of your 5.25 bays.

3) Don't use any kind of controllers AT ALL, and change out all your fans with units that are quiet enough to run at 100% speed 24/7, which can definitely be done.

and, finally

4) Any combination of the above

You can try installing an older version of Performance also, like 6.03 (the newest is 6.05). A lot of people have issues with 6.05, and they installed the older version with good results.

Like I said, if you browse the forums, you will find all kinds of discussions already in progress that hit on all of the points above in detail.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:06 am 

nah right now im want results so ill just get the 6.03 for now.... lol :lol:

ill post back with the results of the specs you gave me in a hour with the earlier version of performance... brb bro :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:15 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

If you did a clean install of Windows, please take your time and install ALL Windows updates prior to installing anything else. Once Windows is completely up to date, then start updating your drivers and installing software as you need to.

I actually went a good two weeks with just bare bones Windows and nothing but stress testing and benchmarking software before I installed a single game or any other kind of software. You just never know when your system is going to crash, and to what degree, when overclocking.

As a matter of fact, after I finished with all the overclocking, testing, and benchmarking, I did yet another clean install of Windows just to make sure it was perfect.

If you tried 1200MHz FSB and immediately got an error, go back to 1066MHz and try it again. I need to make sure you are stable with all stock settings first.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:32 am 

will do everything is updated as of right now 8-) .... Thanks cause i just about installed a couple of things might as well wait till im overclock :lol:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:15 am 

Ok i did it its very stable at FSB (QDR), MHz: [1200]
but i had to jump the voltage up to
**System Voltages**
CPU Core: [1.4V]
CPU FSB: [1.4V]
Chipset Voltage nForce SPP: [1.4V]
and everything worked fine occt was perfect and my temp was like 2 degrees higher on each core.... its clocked at 2.7GHz :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:22 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Do me a favor and go into BIOS, and tell me what the voltage range is in GREEN for each of those settings. You will see that the voltages start off in white, then go green, and then go red. You NEVER want anything in the red.

Since I've never owned your motherboard, I need to know what the green range is for each so I know how high we can go before we hit the limit.

So far, your FSB voltage sounds very high. Are you sure you needed to increase that? In general, you want to increase CPU Vcore, not FSB voltage.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:31 am 

:? ok bro here are the spec you asked for hope I got you what you need ...
**SYSTEM VOLTAGE**
CPU CORE: 1.00V - 1.85V I have it on 1.55V and Stock is 1.3125V
CPU FSB: 1.20V - 1.40V I have it on 1.25V and stock is 1.20V
MEMORY VOLTAGE: 1.80V - 2.50V
CHIPSET VOLTAGE: 1.20V - 1.50V

After I Read your last post I went and turned everything back down to what you had me put it at before Which was pretty much stock except for my CPU CORE which is At 1.55V and my CPU FSB is also back down to 1.25V... after i changed all that my computer did post so now im going to do the OCCT test ..... Ill get back to unless you can think of something else i should do ..

ps what would happen if I kept the volts up to high in simplest terms aka BSOD or wont Post or ???

THanks again for help this novice out :lol:
Bimochi

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:01 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Setting voltage too high can fry your cpu and/or motherboard. That's why we don't haphazardly just increase voltages.

Here's the deal. We have your memory set, so there's no need to change anything that has to do with memory. Leave it all alone.

The only values you should be adjusting are:

FSB (QDR) - This is the FSB frequency and is how you overclock your cpu
FSB Voltage (VTT) - This is the voltage supplying the FSB
CPU VCore - Voltage supplying the cpu

First, set your FSB frequency. We started out at stock which was 1066MHz, then moved to 1200MHz. You can continue bumping this up a tiny bit at a time until something fails, then you also need to bump up CPU VCore one step at a time until you reach stability.

IF you find yourself getting close to the red voltage level, STOP, back the voltage down a bit, and give FSB Voltage one bump up, and then try it again, increasing VCore a little at a time until you reach stability.

You see how this goes? Set FSB, increase VCore until stable. If you can't get stable with VCore, decrease VCore and increase FSB Voltage, then start to increase VCore again.

NO MATTER WHAT, NEVER GO INTO RED VOLTAGE LEVELS. If you find yourself getting close to red in all areas and still aren't stable, you have reached your max, don't go any farther.

Make sense??

I want to know what the lowest possible voltages are to get you stable at 1200MHz. Achieve this and get back to me.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:12 am 

:D sweet all of that made perfect since :D
i will get back to you with my results tomorrow night im beat...
thanks alot

Bimochi :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:40 am 

ok I did what you asked and the lowest I can Possible go with it being stable is

**SYSTEM VOLTAGE**
CPU CORE: 1.55V
CPU FSB: 1.25V
MEMORY VOLTAGE: 1.85V
CHIPSET VOLTAGE: 1.25V

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:01 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

I'm looking over everything we have done so far, and I see that all of your memory settings are messed up again. What happened?

First, x Mem DDR (MHz) should be set to [1066] since that's the stock speed
Next, timings should be 5-5-5-15 (1T)
Last, Memory Voltage should be 2.0V

I don't know how these got changed again, but put them back to these stock settings.

Also, I know you already told me once, but I didn't quite understand. Please tell me what the GREEN voltage range is for each voltage setting. In other words, I need to know that CPU VCore is green from say 1.2V-1.5V or something like that. Just the green range, please.

I'm asking because your VCore sounds really high, but this will depend on what your green range is for your motherboard.

Give me these voltage ranges:

CPU VCore
CPU FSB
Chipset Voltage

That's all I need to know, just those three voltage ranges......IN GREEN.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:25 am 

On this stock motherboard there are no colors at all... what i gave you was the lowest setting and highest settings for each .... as far as what i have my system set to this is what i believed i was told to do ... :shock: I'm sorry this must have been my mistake i will change asap and post back :cry: .....

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:33 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

HOLD ON!!

Wow, I'm messing up all over the place. I forgot you still have the stock motherboard.

I'm helping WAY too many people lately. I got you confused with someone else that has a 780i motherboard. :oops:

Let's start over here. I'm going to post what your BIOS *should* look like right now. I do apologize again.

I made a few changes for your memory and voltages. Try this out and tell me if you are stable. If not, you can bump up VCore, but nothing else.

FSB - Memory Clock Mode: [Unlinked]
FSB - Memory Ratio: [Auto]
FSB (QDR), MHz: [1200]
x MEM (DDR), MHz: [Auto]

**Memory Timing Setting**
Memory Timing Setting: [Expert]
tCL (CAS Latency): [5]
tRCD: [5]
tRP: [5]
tRAS: [15]
Command Per Clock: [1T]

**System Voltages**
CPU Core: [1.4]
CPU FSB: [1.4]
Memory: [2.0]
Chipset Voltage nForce SPP: [1.35]

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:22 am 

:D hey buddy no problem i understand your helping alot of people out :!: atleast you cought yourself this time :lol:

well after my system would not even post at all after the last setting you gave me i had to take out 2 of my sticks of ram and reset my board :o :lol:

but now all is fine ;) and i will try the setting you just gave me

be back in a flash....

Bimochi :mrgreen:

[ 252 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion