Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion

[ 13 posts ] 
 Post subject: How to overclock your cpu w/ stock motherboard
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:42 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

There are several people inquiring about how to overclock their Q6600's right now, so I though we could join all of those discussions into one big thread so that everyone could benefit, and also make it easier on those of us giving the help.

If you have a Q9000 series cpu, you will NOT be able to overclock using the stock motherboard, sorry. This guide is intended for all E8400/8500 and Q6600 users primarily. If you have a Q9k series cpu and want to overclock, you are going to need to look into a motherboard upgrade, which there is a sticky thread already posted giving some tips by drBlahMan.

First, and foremost, before you start overclocking anything, take time out to first make sure that all of your fans are running properly, and get rid of all that dust you have collecting in the cpu heatsink. Overclocking creates heat, and having dust bunnies flying around inside your case won't help. So, buy some compressed air or use your dad's air compressor with a blow gun attachment and blow all that dust out. DO NOT use a vacuum, or brush of any kind unless you want a good reason to upgrade your motherboard.

Once it's all cleaned up, we need to make sure your system can pass a stress test with all stock settings. If you have already tried overclocking your rig with the NVidia software, or in the BIOS, change all of those settings BACK TO STOCK. We are starting from scratch here, so put everything back to stock, and turn off any power management controls you have turned on like auto sleep, hibernate, hard disk shut down, etc. We want everything to run at 100% all the time from here on out. You can change this later, but while we try to get you to a stable overclock, these all need to be turned off.

At this point, you should have everything free from dust, visually confirmed that all fans are fully operable (especially the cpu heatsink), and all settings are back to stock just like the day your rig was born. If you haven't updated your BIOS in a long time, go ahead and check to make sure you have the latest revision from the Dell site, and get that installed.

Now, let's stress test your stock system. Your system should pass this test with flying colors, and with low cpu core temps (more on this in a moment). The test is going to do two things. First, it will tell us if you have another issue that needs to be addressed prior to overclocking, like a bad memory module, or defective motherboard. Second, it will tell us if your cooling solution is in good working order. If your cpu core temps are high during this test, at all stock settings, then something is wrong and it needs to be addressed prior to overclocking. You may possibly need to remove your heatsink and reinstall it using a better thermal compound like Arctic Silver 5, or something along those lines. Most people will have no issues running this test, but I have seen some run into major heat issues that needed to be corrected first.

The program I like to use for monitoring cpu core temps is RealTemp. Download it here:
http://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

It's a very simple program that will monitor your cpu core temps, do not make any changes to its settings, and leave it running while you run the stress test. It will record your minimum and maximum temps, which will be what you will post back with later.

Now, on to the actual stress test itself. The test of choice at the moment is going to be OCCT. Download it here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/OCCT-%28OverClock-Checking-Tool%29-3.0.0-download-1880.html

Before you run this program, be sure all other programs (except RealTemp) are closed. Double check again that all power management has been turned off, and crank up your fans via the Nvidia Control Panel. Set your cpu and front fans to 100%. Yes, it will sound like a jet engine, but there's nothing we can do about that. :lol:

Once you have RealTemp and OCCT open, with all other programs closed, and all your fans screaming, go ahead and run the "CPU LINPACK" test being sure to check the box next to "Maximum 90% Free Memory" and "64bit" (if you are running 64bit Windows) for the full default 1 hour. Don't use your computer during this test. Just let it do its test and go play HALO in the other room or do something to occupy yourself for one hour. Don't worry, if your temps get too high (80C or above), the test will automatically stop and alert you of a problem. Same thing goes for any other issues. If it detects any errors, the test will stop automatically.

.......Fast foward one hour........

You should see a message saying you passed the test, and also some graphs showing the results. You can save these graphs if you want, or you can delete them, up to you. Assuming you passed the test, write down the min. and max. core temps (two for dual core and four for quad core) from RealTemp, because I need to know this before we can overclock.

If you DID NOT PASS THE TEST, you have some issues that need to be handled first. Tell me what the error message is and we will see what we can do to fix it.

Congratulations, you just stress tested your system. Get use to doing this because you will do it MANY times from here on out. :mrgreen: This was only one test, there are many other stress tests that we use, but more on that later.

Now, something you need to know before we make any changes in the BIOS.

DISCLAIMER:
ANY CHANGES YOU MAKE TO YOUR BIOS IS DONE AT YOUR OWN RISK. IF YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO ASSUME RESPONSIBILITY FOR MAKING SUCH CHANGES, STOP NOW!!!

Okay, something else you need to know. The NVidia software doesn't like it when you make changes to your BIOS. Actually, its NVidia "Performance" that doesn't like it. Performance takes a snapshot of your system when its first installed, and if you try to make changes to the BIOS, Performance will just undo those changes when Windows starts up. So, from here on out, any time you want to make a change in BIOS, you will need to go into Control Panel - Add/Remove Programs, and remove the Nvidia Performance software first. This is also the software that controls your fans, so after you remove it, then go into BIOS to make your changes, you will want to immediately reinstall it so you can turn your fans back up.
Download it here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvidia_system_tools_6.05.html

I just save it to the Desktop so it's easily found. You will uninstall/reinstall this program a LOT, so get comfortable with it........unless you install a manual fan controller which would allow you to control your fans with ease, and delete the NVidia Performance software permanently, but this is another topic for another thread. ;)

Now that you have your idle and loaded cpu core temps recorded, I need to know more about your specific system. This is where each individual overclock is going to be different, so from this point, each case will be handled individually. No two overclocks are the same since there are so many varying factors. Don't get upset if someone with the same hardware achieves a higher oc than you, its the nature of the beast.

Anyway, here's a BIOS template. Fill it out in its grand entirety, and post it back up with all of your info, along with your recorded cpu core temps. Somone will respond to you with their suggestions.

CPU: **** & Stock Clock (****GHz)
RAM used: **** (example: OCZ Blades 2 x 2GB's @ 1066MHz)
CPU Heatsink: Dell OEM
Power Supply: Dell 650w
Windows Version:
BIOS Version: 1.0.*
Additional fans: (if other than stock)
CPU Idle Core Temps:
CPU Loaded Core Temps:

**System **
CPU Freq, MHz: * GHZ
FSB Reference Clock, MHz: **** (This is your *stock* FSB (QDR), MHz)
CPU Multiplier: [*X]
PCle Bus, Slot 1, MHz: [100]
PCle Bus, Slot 2, MHz: [100]

**Overclock FSB & Memorv Config**
FSB - Memory Clock Mode: [unlinked]
FSB - Memory Ratio:
FSB (QDR), MHz: [****]
Actual FSB (QDR), MHz: ****
x MEM (DDR), MHz: ****
Actual MEM (DDR), MHz: ****

**Memory Timing Setting**
Memory Timing Setting: [manual]
tCL (CAS Latency): *
tRCD: *
tRP: *
tRAS: *
Command Per Clock: [*T]

** Advanced Memory Settings **
tRRD: [Auto]
tRC: [Auto]
tWR: [Auto]
tWTR: [Auto]
tFAW: [Auto]
tREF: [Auto]

**System Voltages**
CPU Core: [*]
CPU FSB: [*]
Memory: [*]
Chipset Voltage nForce SPP: [*]

**CPU Configuration**
C1E Function: [Disabled]
Execute Disable Bit: [Enabled]
Virtualization: [Disabled]
SpeedStep: [Disabled]
Frequency Unlimited: [Enabled]

EVGA GTX 780 Ti Classified K|NGP|N @ 1500MHz
Dual Corsair Neutron GTX 256GB SSD's in RAID0
Corsair AX1200 power supply
Win7 x64 Ultimate
Lian LI PC-P80B case w/ custom window and lighting
Koolance ERM-2K3U Rev 1.1 (copper) external water cooler
Dell U3011 30" 2560x1600 monitor
Corsair SP2500 2.1 Audio System

Last edited by JDookie on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:08 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Post subject: Re: How to overclock your cpu w/ stock motherboard
 Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:44 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD!!

This particular thread is strictly for information only. All assistance will be given here:
http://www.my630i.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3228

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Last edited by JDookie on Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:44 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Saved for future use

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:39 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Great start with the info JDookie :!:
I will only add that if you use OCCT Linpack, make sure you select "Maximum 90% free memory" for the test mode. If you prefer using Prime95, I recommend doing a small ftt and blend test. Many will say 1hr is enough for OCCT (I prefer 3 to 4hrs), some will say about 2 to 3hrs of Prime95 (I prefer 6 to 8hrs),at least 10 to 15 passes of Intel Burn/LinX (I prefer 100 passes)Although stability is determined base on your preference of how long the stress test should be, I believe (at least with my experiences) the more stress tests you pass, the more stable the cpu is. You can pass a certain amount of time on on stress test and quickly fail a different stress test. If you can pass all the stress tests under a specific amount of time that satisfy your standards of stability, you will at least feel more comfortable that your OC'ed cpu is stable...Cause at the end of the day operating regular program & game apps, your cpu will not be stress like it was during the tests.

After applying Artic Silver 5, if your core temps are still high, I recommend you invest in a better heatsink for the cpu. There are some that will fit the stock 630i mobo.

You do not have to stress test as long as I do based on my preference. I was only sharing that info to give you the idea that if you're not satisfied testing for only 1hr, you can increase the length of the stress test to your comfort.

BTW...We're not responsible if you roast your cpu from OC'ing & stress testing or jacking-up your mobo & memory within the bios settings. So, if you're lacking the confidence & not doing the proper research about OC'ing while we are explaining the "how to," like JDookie has already mentioned...DO NOT TRY IT ;)

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Last edited by drBlahMan on Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:00 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

drBlahMan wrote:
Great start with the info JDookie :!:

We've been getting so many requests on how to overclock with all stock components lately, I figured this would be the best way to help everyone.

Just like you said, it's a good *start* with info, my initial post certainly isn't a complete how-to guide on how to overclock. Actually, it doesn't say a thing in the way of overclocking, all it does is prepare you for the overclocking process.

A ton of information is going to surface all on its own, so after a few days/weeks, people *should* be able to read this thread and be able to overclock any E8400/8500 or Q6600 with all stock components without issues.

The Resource Collective has an excellent guide in it, but I find that the recommended voltages are too high. Sure, some people will probably need those voltages, but most will not, and I'm hoping to shed a few degrees off those overclocks by doing it this way.

drBlahMan wrote:
I will only add that if you use OCCT Linpack, make sure you select "Maximum 90% free memory" for the test mode.

Thank you for reminding me of that. I made this change in the original post.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:00 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Steam ID: fasterrhoads
I concur, I believe the elders should make this a "sticky" though. That way we can direct them to the link rather than looking through pages.

We have spent countless hours :lol: :shock: oc'ing so why not put it up top and break things out into three different setups: Q6000/QX6000 Series, E7000/E8000 Series & Q8000/Q9000/QX9000 series.
I'm all for making things easy, some us have links that can be added into the sticky for additional resources and of course the do's and don'ts.

Just my 2 pennies. ;)

New Case Coming: Intel Core i7 980-X @4.5GHz*EVGA X58 E770 Classified 3 Way*Corsair H100 4 Scythe Fans Push/Pull*Mushkin Redline 6GBs 1600Mhz*EVGA GTX 570SC*WD Velociraptor 600GB*Lamptron Fan Controller Touch*Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W Sleeved*Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate*

New O.C. 5.13.11

Previous CPU:

BIOS Templates

Supported PhysX Games
Click Here

Last edited by fastrhoads on Sat Nov 28, 2009 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:03 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

fastrhoads wrote:
I concur, I believe the elders should make this a "sticky" though. That way we can direct them to the link rather than looking through pages.

We have spent countless hours :lol: :shock: oc'ing so why not put it up top and break things out into three different setups: Q6000/QX6000 Series, E7000/E8000 Series & Q8000/Q9000/QX9000 series.
I'm all for making things easy, some us have links that can be added into the sticky for additional resources and of course the do's and don'ts.

I couldn't agree more!! That would make things SO much easier.

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:45 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Saved for future use

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Last edited by JDookie on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:58 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Saved for future use

Win7 x64 Ultimate

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:19 pm 

Steam ID: kamikaze
Hi, I know that this is a very old post but lets say I have a Q9400 in my xps 630i and I actually have Q6600 at my disposal! Would it be better to switch Q9400 with Q6600 and overclock the Q6600 up to Q9400 or higher for future proofing for a few years of gaming? Also, is it very easy to change the CPU?

Thanks!

Post Posted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:15 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Steam ID: fasterrhoads
Hi Jac,

If you are still using the stock motherboard unfortunately the Q9400 will not overclock. Either switch to the Q6600 or upgrade the motherboard, memory and CPU to a Z77 or Z87(haswell).

New Case Coming: Intel Core i7 980-X @4.5GHz*EVGA X58 E770 Classified 3 Way*Corsair H100 4 Scythe Fans Push/Pull*Mushkin Redline 6GBs 1600Mhz*EVGA GTX 570SC*WD Velociraptor 600GB*Lamptron Fan Controller Touch*Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W Sleeved*Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate*

New O.C. 5.13.11

Previous CPU:

BIOS Templates

Supported PhysX Games
Click Here

Post Posted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:07 am 

I Run the OCCT test CPU:LINPACK with test type: Infinite for 1 hour had memory at 90%. The test detected an error at 43 minutes and 23 seconds. There were a bunch of graphs generated and they all say there was an error however I can't find what exactly the error was. Where can I find what caused the error? I ran the test using OCCT version 4.4.0.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Let me know if I need to post any further information from the test.

Thank you,

Blue

Post Posted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:08 pm 

Well, if your overclocking, my suggestion would be to slow it down a little, then try again. Not knowing what your PC is or the settings, it's kind of hard to tell.

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

[ 13 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion