Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Additional SATA ports
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:14 pm 

Hi
I've had my 630i for about 3 months, and have had no problems with it. It came configured with 2no 1TB hard drives (Samsung), a Blu-Ray drive and a DVD ROM. All are SATA. Due to the fact that the HD are set up as RAID 0, my fault in the specification, I have added a further 1TB hard drive to act as a backup depository for Norton Ghost. Now the questions. Is this a reasonable approach? What is the best way to add some SATA ports? I can connect either the DVD or the Blu-Ray, but not both at once. The IDE connector isn't accessible because the Graphics card sits over it. I have heard that a Sitecom CN-042 has 2no eSATA and 2no internal SATA. Has anyone used this approach?

Thanks in advance

Ahislop

Post subject: Re: Additional SATA ports
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:26 pm 

I was faced with this decision not too long ago and picked up a SIIG Sata Controller Card and solved my issue. I still removed my second drive but I now have my 4 HDD hooked with no issues. The 3Gb transfer works well and I still have room to add more sata devices. If this case was bigger I would 2 more HDD's.

Hope this helps a little.

EVGA GTX 550ti 1TB FPBDell
Corsair XMS 8GB DDR3 1333 Mhz
Windows 7 Professional N
SIIG Sata PCI-E Controller Card
2x WD 500GB Raid 0
WD 500GB Boot Drive
SG 500GB Storage Drive
LaCie d2 1TB External HDD
Wacom Inutos4 Drawing Tablet

[ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Upgrade / Modification / Overclocking Discussion