Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » Other » Folding@home

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: How to: Install SMP client 6.23 MPICH
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:54 pm 

Hello Everybody,
After seeing the huge improvement that SMP's offer over running multiple uniprocessor clients i decided that it would be good to post a how-to install guide as i think that a lot of reason people aren't running smp instead is simple lack of understanding. The following is a step by step of how to accomplish this:

1. Download the installer from here: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther. Make sure to choose the "6.23 beta for MPICH" version.

2. Create a new folder on the root of your C: drive called FAH (so your new folder should be c:\FAH.

3. Run the installer selecting the following options: Install for all users.. and change the directory that it's installing to so that it installs to your new c:\FAH folder. Finishing the installer will simply exit the installer with a successful message... nothing is running at this point.

4. Open your new FAH folder and find the file named: Folding@home-Win32-x86.exe, right click and rename to: FAH6.exe.

4. Vista users open a command prompt in Administrator mode (type cmd in your search bar above start button.. right click and "Run as Administrator")... Any other O/S can just run a command prompt in the account you're in.

5. Type the following and hit enter: CD \FAH. This is telling the command prompt to change the directory to your new FAH folder.

6. Now type the following and hit enter: install.bat. This will ask you to enter an account name.. this is the account that you log into your computer with... They the username and hit enter... it will prompt for a password. Enter the password (**note, it will not show that you're typing anything for security purposes).. and then you will have to retype it to make sure it's correct. Press enter and you should see the following message:

If you see this twice, MPI is working
If you see this twice, MPI is working
Press a key to continue...

Press enter and it will return you to c:\FAH directory.

7. Type the following and hit enter: fah6 -configonly. It will next prompt you to enter a username.. this is your Folding@home username.. and this IS CaSe SenSitiVE. Hit enter and you will need to enter your team number... enter 149882 and hit enter. Next it will ask you for your passkey.. enter that and hit enter (if you do not have one you can request one here:http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py)

8. keep hitting enter to accept the default values until you get to the following message:

Acceptable size of work assignment and work result packets (bigger units
may have large memory demands) -- 'small' is <5MB, 'normal' is <10MB, and
'big' is >10MB (small/normal/big) [normal]?

Change this to: big... hit enter to accept.. then when it shows you this message: Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]?

Change that to yes and hit enter.

9. Leave everything at default (by just hitting enter) until you get to the message:

Machine ID (1-16) [1]?

Enter the correct machine id and hit enter.

10. Again leave everything to default until you reach this message:

Additional client parameters []?

enter the following: -smp -verbosity 9

continue hitting enter until you are returned back to the c:\fah directory.

If everything runs correctly your client should be installed correctly.. if not (2 of my 4 smp clients did not install correctly using the above)... i would be more than willing to step-by-step my workaround to making it work.. but i would suggest trying to install with the above first.

To run the client you now have to do the following:

1. Vista users search for cmd.exe right click and run as admin... (others just go to start>run> type cmd and hit enter).

2. Enter CD \FAH and hit enter

3. Enter fah6 and hit enter.

This is where the unit runs from.. so it will show any details here (eg. percentage complete... etc)

To stop the client simply enter Cntrl+C in the command prompt window at any time.

Please leave comments/concerns... And if you run into any errors with the install do not worry.. this is a very simple program that is easy to fix.. just let me know the error and i'll step out a workaround for you. I do ask that you leave any error messages in a reply not in a pm.. that way others can benefit from your experience.

Hopefully this guide will help some people.. and i will probably revise in the near future after i get a little feedback of what the program is doing :).

Ben

Post subject: Re: How to: Install SMP client 6.23 MPICH
 Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:33 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: billybigfoot
Nice write up Ben, stickied to make it easier for all to find. :D

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:00 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
Yes, it's nice to have a How To and thank you for that Ben, but to be fair, Stanford has done a very good job of putting up instructions as well: http://folding.stanford.edu/English/WinSMPGuideMPICH which I posted about here.

However, it's good to bring the SMP Client to the forefront for the benefit of our team.

Question: Wouldn't it be better to run a single SMP Client on a quad-core for those of us who have them? As opposed to running two SMP Clients on a quad-core as one member is attempting to do (BBF :P )?

My XPS 630 Blog

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:04 pm 

devjonfos wrote:
Question: Wouldn't it be better to run a single SMP Client on a quad-core for those of us who have them? As opposed to running two SMP Clients on a quad-core as one member is attempting to do (BBF :P )?

I think that it is kind'of a toss up. I personally wouldn't do it just for the added complications.. and i like to finish WU's quickly, so i have more options of when i can shut my computer down. There are positives and negatives with both options... BBF and i have talked about it a little here: wanna-get-really-crazy-dual-smp-s-how-to-t857.html

I personally think that for me it's better to just run 1.. but it depends on what you're going for/willing to put up with. I like things simpler and easier... i guess you could call it lazy.. LOL

Post Posted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:23 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Ben, Jon,

My perspective is the points go to the team and the WU's go to Stanford, so by running 2 SMP's on my quad I think I'm getting the best of both worlds. Just my feeling mind you but there it is.

I did do a little research (very little I admit) one SMP was completing 1% in 12 minutes, 2 SMP's 1% in 18 minutes which worked out over a 5 day period, 1 SMP = 6 WU's and 2 SMP's = 8 WU's. So even if the dual jobbies take longer to complete individually, over time because theres two of them I get more work done.

The points race is really good for building a "team spirit" and btw has been the scource of quite a lot of leg pulling an such, just how I like it. :D

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:09 am 

I'm getting an error telling me that MPICH2 is unable to manage jobs using credentials with a blank password.

Is there a workaround? I do not want to have to enter a password to start windows.

Thanks

Post Posted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:04 am 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

spacecase,

I don't think there is a workaround for the password. It's the way the SMP client has been built, sorry. I was in the same boat, didn't like the idea of having to ente a password at Windows stsrt, but TBH you soon get used to it, and of course there's the added security it gives.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:19 pm 

spacecase:
Did you end up getting your smp installed ok? If you really don't want to put a password on your windows account you can just run a couple uniprocessor clients (up to 4 if you're running a quad core)... you just won't get quite the ppd that an smp can get. We would be glad to have the extra help for the team though! :D

Also, where you really pump out the PPD is running the gpu client.. the only downside to the gpu client is that you will probably need to shut it down while gaming and GPU processors don't have a process priority system... so it will make your games bog down.. For right now at least the gpu clients are the biggest PPD you can get :). You don't need a password on your windows acct for the gpu client either.. the smp is the only one that requires it.

Please don't be shy if you need help setting these up :)

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:49 pm 

not yet, my Card reader quit working, and after they replaced it (twice) and my Master I/O board and it still did not work I had to reload Vista from DVD... (loaded from recovery partition and it still was not there)

Then when I loaded the ATI drivers (same ones I loaded before and crossfire worked) I could not get Crossfire to kick in, the ATI CCC said one card was active and the other one was disabled... WTH???

Anyhow, I uninstalled the latest ATI drivers, loaded the Dell drivers which seemed to make crossfire active again, unloaded them and reloaded the ones I had been loading previously and crossfire was then working with the latest drivers. I still haven't figured out why but it is working!!

So this weekend I got all of my old files/programs back on and am almost ready to get the folding going, probably tomorrow.

Once I get that done (with Team number 149882!!!) I will let you help me get the GPU thingy going.

Can I fold with both my 3870s or just one and is it a simple command line to start/stop it?

Thanks

ps-What does MPICH stand for? My guess is MP is Multi-Processor, if so does that mean my dual-core will be running 2 jobs at once?

pss- I did create a password so I will be going that route

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:04 pm 

spacecase:
No worries, sounds like you've been having a 'great' time just getting your computer stable :(. Sorry to hear it!

I would definently suggest waiting to fold until you know your machine is stable... It could make your system crash and/or not correctly fold the WU if your machine is unstable.

Yes you can fold on both your gpu's... however if i'm not mistaken you would have to disable crossfire, and possibly either buy a dummy plug, or plug in a spare monitor on the second card to make it work... so i'm not sure that it would be worth the hassle.. you'd get a LOT more ppd out of 2... but i'm not sure as to how much hassle you want it to be to go back to your crossfire setup for gaming. I'm not very experienced in the crossfire/sli area as of yet (i'm only running a single gpu), but there are some on here that are, so hopefully they will chime in :).

I'm not sure what MPICH stands for, but it is an "SMP" client which stands for "Symmetric Multi-processing"... But you would not be folding 2 wu's at once if running the smp on a dual core.. the smp program was created to run muliple processors on the same wu.. so even though you're running a dual core you should see 4 processes of the FAH client.. each with 25% usage (if you're not doing anything else on the computer.. this adjusts down and gives up the usage to any other program running if there is one)... That has been my experience when running these on my dual core machines.

The gpu client (at least the one that i use) is in the system tray, so there is a logo down by the time on your computer... to stop the client you simply right click and click quit. To shut down your SMP you simply click on your cmd prompt window that stays open to make sure it has focus and then enter "Cntrl+C" and it exits for you.

Hopefully that correctly answers your questions :)... good luck getting your computer all ironed out!

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:21 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
ben.peterson wrote:
Yes you can fold on both your gpu's... however if i'm not mistaken you would have to disable crossfire, and possibly either buy a dummy plug, or plug in a spare monitor on the second card to make it work... so i'm not sure that it would be worth the hassle.. you'd get a LOT more ppd out of 2... but i'm not sure as to how much hassle you want it to be to go back to your crossfire setup for gaming. I'm not very experienced in the crossfire/sli area as of yet (i'm only running a single gpu), but there are some on here that are, so hopefully they will chime in :).

I had to disable SLI and use my second GPU in a multiple monitor setup (extend Windows desktop). To compensate, I lowered my Crysis Wars settings from "Good Visuals" to "Good Performance".

I'm also experimenting with GeForce 182.06 and the PhysX software (versions 8 and 9) to dedicate my second GPU to only PhysX processing (because SLI is disabled for Folding@home).

http://www.geeks3d.com/?p=916

How to do all this with ATI Crossfire, I don't know.

My XPS 630 Blog

Post Posted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:44 pm 

With the exception of the card reader, it has been rock solid, no blue screens or lockups...
If I have any more problems with the card reader I'm not going to wipe it again, I'll just get an external one or (OH MY GOODNESS) have to hook the camera up with a USB cable. :o

Disabling Crossfire is a scary thought, folding with my CPU and one of my GPUs will help a lot more than I am now with zero ppd!!

Thanks for the help and I should be folding soon!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:02 am 

I appear to be folding!!

How long till my name shows up on our team? Do I have to complete a work unit first?

My CPU percentage for fahcore_78.exe never goes above 50%... is that normal?

TIA

space

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:05 am 

Space:
Congrads! Welcome to the team!!! Yes you need to create a WU, and also the EOC stats need to be updated... you should be showing stats by tomorrow if you finish that wu by tonight :). I would suggest downloading either FAHMon, or FAHspy to monitor... it will show you your current PPD etc... and it's all nearly real-time. You can google either of those to find the download and they are both free.

Do you have more than 1 instance of fahcore_78? Also, did you follow my guide to install? I just want to make sure we're talking about the same client :). If you installed the same client as in my guide, and you only have 1 instance than it seems that the -smp tag did not stick when you set it. You can tell by scrolling to the very top of the command prompt window that you started the client with.. you should see the following if it stuck:

Launch directory: C:\FAH
Executable: C:\FAH\FAH6.exe
Arguments: -smp -verbosity 9

please check that window and report back if it displays that :)

Ben

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:16 am 

I did follow the instructions from this thread (I think I did anyway)

I only have one instance and it does not show any arguments after the executable starement...

When I run it with the configonly option I keep getting an app crash, but I can run it with the options from the command line and it does look like that works.

I get the app crash in 2 places, either after I enter 1 for machine type, or when I type yes for advanced options...

BTW, I think I needed to click :"Show processes from all users" because now that I clicked that and ran the fah6.exe -smp -verbosity 9 command I have 4 fahcore_78 processes running...

????

Thanks!

Last edited by spacecase on Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:29 am 

The 'official' way to fix is to go back to your command prompt and run the "fah6 -configonly" again and be sure to set them where they go... however anytime i've run it a second time i have been forced to enter ALL of the information again or it will clear it (it doesn't say that you have you, in fact it shows the info you have entered just before that... but if you enter it and exit and then get back it it's gone unless you do)... so you can re do the step 7 and up. That is the cleanest/easiest way to fix it.. however there are a couple workarounds that will get you fixed up in no time... so try that first and post back.. if that didn't fix it then i'll step you through a work around :).

good luck!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:31 am 

just a quick note.. it sounds like the only things that are not working are in the step "Change advanced options (yes/no) [no]?

Change that to yes and hit enter."

So make sure to enter to change the advanced settings :).

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:32 am 

I was editing my post when you were replying... please look at my previous post and sorry, next time I will just make a new post...

Thanks again!!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:45 am 

no worries :). Yes, i've had that app crash on the installs i ran... that's why i added this: "And if you run into any errors with the install do not worry.. this is a very simple program that is easy to fix.. just let me know the error and i'll step out a workaround for you. I do ask that you leave any error messages in a reply not in a pm.. that way others can benefit from your experience"

if you want to manually enter the following when you run the app: fah6 -smp -verbosity 9
anytime you're running it then this is doing the exact same thing.. however because you had an app crash you will want to open the following file and make sure you're username and team number are still set (it cleared them for me when it crashed).

Check the file: C:\FAH\client.cfg... open in notepad and make sure that the settings are correct... ie. "[settings]username=spacecaseteam=149882".... etc.

If all of that's good to go then you are officially folding with an SMP client!

If it's not you can manually edit this file to include that, and then you'll be good to go :D.

Also, if you're not wanting to have to enter the -smp -verbosity 9 everytime you run it i can give you the line to enter in this config file so that it runs it everytime.

good luck :D

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:57 am 

I would much rather get my config right so I can just run the fah6 command...

This is the ENTIRE contents of my config file

[settings]
username=spacecase
team=149882
passkey=edited_for_security_a_really_long_number
asknet=no
machineid=1
bigpackets=big

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

Also, the process is listed 4 times at 25% each, but I have a dual core not a quad, what gives?

Also, also, I just checked my DOS window and it says "Timered Checkpoint reached" and it isn't doing anything... Sorry to ask so many questions, you can just call me spacenoob... HA HA

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:06 am 

LOL.. no worries... everybody is a noob to begin with :D.. i'm just glad there's a new member on the team!

ok... replace the contents of your config file with this:

[settings]
username=spacecase
team=149882
passkey=[enter your own passkey here]
asknet=no
machineid=1
bigpackets=big
extra_parms=-smp -verbosity 9
local=27

[http]
active=no
host=localhost
port=8080
usereg=no

[core]
addr=

That is the contents of my SMP so you should be good to go with that.
The SMP client was created to work on Quad core (actually was orig. created for dual and then modified to allow quad core)... But for some reason they did not give it the functionality of finding how many cores and adjusting accordingly.. could be because they wanted the program to use as few resources as possible. It is supposed to run 4 instances though, that means its working :D.

The "Timer Checkpoint Reached" is normal.. The program has a built in timer to auto save the work result in case something like a powerfailure should happen.. think of it like an autosave in a game. Keep in mind that you have your flag set to BIG packets.. which you are supposed to, but these big packets take a long time to complete... and with any client it takes a long time to get over the initial hump to be able to actually show a percentage complete... From the sounds of it everything is running successfully!

Try to replace the config file with what i supplied and then run it with just the fah6 command... check the beginning of the cmd prompt log, and then post back if it works or doesn't :).

Ben

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:42 am 

I think I'm going backwards now...

After modifying my cfg file I got an I/O error in my cmd window so I rebooted...

Now when I launch the fah6 command it clears out my config file...

So I jacked with it and started over with the -configonly and tried to go faster and finally got through it enough to get everything in the file and the fah6.exe -configonly created the file with all of the right contents.

Whew, I thought you said it was easy!!! LOL J/K

Now in my cmd window I am getting an error:
Folding@home Core Shutdown: FILE_IO_ERROR

HELP!!

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:51 am 

Try the following:
Open and clear the following folder: C:\FAH\work
Also delete the following from your FAH folder:
any "FAHCore..." file
FAHlog.txt
Myfolding.html
Queue.dat
unitinfo.txt

Then reboot your computer... and then run the client again... and post the results :).

LOL.. doesn't it always work that way? It's easy as pie until you tell somebody that and then it all hits the fan.. lol.

I don't know about you, but i think this kind of thing is kind'of fun... if it wasn't a challenge it wouldn't be as rewarding :D.

We'll get this thing going, so no worries :)

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:02 am 

Well, by the time you replied (rather quickly I am not complaining)
the program apparently gave up on that file and started a new one.

The old one was 1500000 steps and this new one is 2500000 steps...

Also, I now have a single FahCore_78 process runnig at 50%, and 3 sometimes 4 FahCore_a1 processes running . But my CPU is pegged at 100 % and it does not seem to be slowing anything down so I think we are where we want to be, unless something sounds fishy to you...

Thanks for all the help and next I will try to get my ATI card folding.

space

Post Posted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:11 am 

AWESOME! You are now folding with an SMP client :D. Keep in mind that depending on your processor it may take quite a while to fold the big WU's.. but as long as you're folding them before the deadline you are good to go. I'm not sure about the newer dual cores.. but i have 3 machines with SMP's running with Intel Xeon's (5 yr old servers).. and they all average around 50mins per step (%).... they still get the jobs done in time, but it's about like watching paint dry in the meantime. I'm not sure if you want to tackle the gpu folding client tonight or not.. but if so i would be game to give my 2c where i can :).

Again welcome to the team, and to the cause!

Also, i just reread your post to make sure i didn't miss anything... are you saying that you have at some points 5 FAHcore*** processes? You should only have up to 4, and they should all have the same core number... if you're seeing several different ones... stop the client (by Cntrl+C).. then reboot and start it again... i think it will confuse things if you have 2 smp's running.. and it could possibly make you miss the deadlines meaning no points.

[ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Board index » General Discussions » Other » Folding@home