Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » Other » Building Your Own Rig

[ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Another question
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 12:30 am 

So far everything has gone well minus the human error with forgetting to plug in the 8pin connector and a driver install that failed (just had to reboot and reinstall it nothing bad)
Okie so here's the question, my cpu (Q6600) has I guess, weird temps?, RealTemp reports core 0 and core 1 as 33-36C idle and core 2 and core 3 are 26-29C idle, not sure if it is because I did the thermal compound bad (followed the instructions on their website which was a small line across the middle) Or could it be because most apps and processes end up using the first 2 cores when nothing else is running? I have not over clocked and do not intend to, I only do minor gaming and a lot of photo editing/graphic design stuff. Any idea if those temps seem normal-ish or should I be a little worried about it? I do recall that the 630 I had, idled at higher temps but they were a little more closer together (around 38 on the first 2 cores and 35 on the other 2 cores idle). I haven't seen my temps go any higher than the upper 50s lower 60s in anything I have used and run (haven't used any stress tests or benchmarks though).

Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Another question
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:13 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

I really don't know why there's such a difference in temps between the two sets of cores, but that's the only thing that's odd about it--the temps themselves are more than adequate for cooling. My quad core averages (at idle) in the high 30s/low-mid 40s.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:34 pm 

Ah okie, thanks, I was just a little confused by it. I may just redo the thermal compound one of these days just in case it didn't spread evenly (think that may be why it's so different in temps). (Reinstalling Vista x64 again lol, corrupt my registry on accident while messing with some settings)

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:42 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
I have a 4 C degree separation on my stock Q6600 CPU, idling at 34 C to 38 C (Core Temp) or 29 C to 33 C (Real Temp), room temperature is 22 C, front case fans at 35%.

My XPS 630 Blog

Post Posted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:01 am 

Okie I read somewhere that it could be a problem with the BIOS of the motherboard, or simple because that the censors on the CPU have problems giving the correct temp (which may be why I have that big gap of temp on mine) Should I risk updating my BIOS? (says on the MSI website that the newer one has some fixed CPU code) I don't want to have something go wrong with the BIOS update (MSI says to only update at your own risk if it is needed) Going to see if I can find some release notes for the newer BIOS and see if it even has something to do with the temps or something else. Anyone have a recomendation or any input on this? Oh yeah, forgot to say, the CPU is a SLACR G0 stepping.

EDIT - I guess I have to update the BIOS (On their website, says my CPU is supported since V3.1, I have V3.0) Any recommendations on doing the update? I don't wanna corrupt my board :/

[ 5 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » Other » Building Your Own Rig