Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » Other » Building Your Own Rig

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Two Noob Build Questions
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:16 am 

ref the other thread: http://img571.imageshack.us/i/buildk.jpg/

So here I start. Just opened the Box from Newegg with all the goodies.

First thing I notice is the OEM Operating System.

Scary statement:
"Each individual software license in this package may ONLY be distributed with a fully assembled computer system."

"If the individual software license is for a desktop operating system it also must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully assembled computer system using the OEM preinstallation kit."

:arrow: 1. IF I get this thing all assembled, will I be able to use this OEM OS I bought or should I avoid hassle right now and send it back and get the full up retail version of 64 bit Win 7 PRO?

:arrow: 2. Surprise #1. Looks like the HAF-X has provisions for USB 3.0.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811119225
<<<<<<<<My Motherboard choice does not.>>>>>>>>>>>
MB EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 3SLI RT
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813188039

Should I send the MB back for a board that has USB 3.0? If so I have no clue as to what to get. (and I hope they will let me send an unopened product back).

trying to build this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Radeon HD5850 (Crossfire)
Win Pro 7 64-BT
Western Digital 300G 10K Raptor
WD 1TB Black storage internal.
Seagate 1 TB storage (trying out Seagate 1st time)
Corsair Dominator 2Gx3 TR3X6G1600C8D
HAF-X 942 (I Like)
PSU Cooler Master RSA00-80GAD3 1000W Gold Modular

kids get my "old" Dell:
Stock Dell XPS 630i
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
MB - Stock Dell
RAM - 4GB stock Dell
PSU - Stock 750W
GPU - (1) stock 9800 GT
HD - (2) 320GB, S2, 7200 Western Digital, RAID 0.
Sound- Creative SB X-Fi
Op Sys - Windows 7 Ultimate x32

Post subject: Re: Two Noob Build Questions
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:02 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

I am not sure on the Windows 7 disc......I usually always but the retail version to avoid any problems. If it was me, I would probably return it and get the retail version.

For the USB 3.0 thing......I dont think any motherboard really has an actual USB 3.0 header yet. As far as I know, they just have 2 USB 3.0's built onto the motherboard in the back I/O panel.

I wouldnt worry about the USB 3.0 thing for now. You can get a motherboard with USB 3.0 if you want, but I dont think there is an X58 motherboard that has a free USB 3 header for connecting a chassis USB connector yet.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:33 pm 

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
I am not sure on the Windows 7 disc......I usually always but the retail version to avoid any problems. If it was me, I would probably return it and get the retail version.

For the USB 3.0 thing......I dont think any motherboard really has an actual USB 3.0 header yet. As far as I know, they just have 2 USB 3.0's built onto the motherboard in the back I/O panel.

I wouldnt worry about the USB 3.0 thing for now. You can get a motherboard with USB 3.0 if you want, but I dont think there is an X58 motherboard that has a free USB 3 header for connecting a chassis USB connector yet.

You can get by with the OEM version, I do know that for a fact. But, one issue is that the OS will be locked to one motherboard and if you swap it out or want to upgrade, you're SOL! I bought the oem version but looking back I think next time I'll get the retail. At leaste then you don't have to buy another copy if your mobo craps out on you 3 months down the road :cry:

I think you're right on the USB 300 deal m3th0d1c4l, I did a quick search myself but came up empty handed.

dean

W7 64bit Pro / Coolermaster 212+

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:13 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

deando2008 wrote:
You can get by with the OEM version, I do know that for a fact. But, one issue is that the OS will be locked to one motherboard and if you swap it out or want to upgrade, you're SOL! I bought the oem version but looking back I think next time I'll get the retail. At leaste then you don't have to buy another copy if your mobo craps out on you 3 months down the road :cry:

I think you're right on the USB 300 deal m3th0d1c4l, I did a quick search myself but came up empty handed.

dean

Ahhh, so that is what the OEM does? It makes the motherboard function like a Dell or HP system? And I am guessing that you dont have to enter the Windows activation key again either upon reinstalling Windows?

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:21 pm 

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
deando2008 wrote:

dean

Ahhh, so that is what the OEM does? It makes the motherboard function like a Dell or HP system? And I am guessing that you dont have to enter the Windows activation key again either upon reinstalling Windows?

No, you still have to activate it, but it ties that key to that mobo...so it kind of acts like the os on Dell pc's. One thing nice about dell pc's is this: if your dell came with Windows 7 and you want windows XP, all you have to do is borrow some's dell xp install disc to do this. For some reason, any dell OS disk will work on any other dell pc, but its only backwards compatable. So you cant install W7 on a pc that came with XP, but you can do the reverse!

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:41 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

deando2008 wrote:
No, you still have to activate it, but it ties that key to that mobo...so it kind of acts like the os on Dell pc's. One thing nice about dell pc's is this: if your dell came with Windows 7 and you want windows XP, all you have to do is borrow some's dell xp install disc to do this. For some reason, any dell OS disk will work on any other dell pc, but its only backwards compatable. So you cant install W7 on a pc that came with XP, but you can do the reverse!

Ahh. Gotcha. I never understood the OEM versions they sold on Newegg.

But the Dell OS Discs, that is actually a bit different. See Dell installs ALL their windows keys in the motherboards SLIC. So when you use a Dell disc that has the master key in the SLIC of the mobo, it triggers the activation on the disc and auto activates the OS without needing the internet. I just thought those OEM discs were doing the same thing, because if they did, I was planning on buying it for my next build.

But I guess Ill just use my retail disc. Thanks on that Dean.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:10 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Steam ID: fasterrhoads
Here is the deal with the Windows OEM version and they have basically answered.
If this will be your main/only build for a while then the OEM version will be fine. Yes the OEM verson ties the Windows key to the mobo and so if you had to RMA your mobo then all you would need to do is call Microsoft and they would give you a new activation key, pretty simple. If you need/require more than one license, I would suggest the family deal going on, Windows 7 home premium family pack good for 3 pc's.
I would say stay with the current order and get to building.

As for the mobo, I have not seen any with 3.0 USB headers on the board itself. You can get a long usb cable and connect one of the rear 3.o usb ports to the front, but otherwise I beleive you will be waiting.

Start building! :lol:

New Case Coming: Intel Core i7 980-X @4.5GHz*EVGA X58 E770 Classified 3 Way*Corsair H100 4 Scythe Fans Push/Pull*Mushkin Redline 6GBs 1600Mhz*EVGA GTX 570SC*WD Velociraptor 600GB*Lamptron Fan Controller Touch*Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W Sleeved*Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate*

New O.C. 5.13.11

Previous CPU:

BIOS Templates

Supported PhysX Games
Click Here

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:34 pm 

fastrhoads wrote:
Here is the deal with the Windows OEM version and they have basically answered.
If this will be your main/only build for a while then the OEM version will be fine. Yes the OEM verson ties the Windows key to the mobo and so if you had to RMA your mobo then all you would need to do is call Microsoft and they would give you a new activation key, pretty simple. If you need/require more than one license, I would suggest the family deal going on, Windows 7 home premium family pack good for 3 pc's.
I would say stay with the current order and get to building.

That's good to know..(I was told differently from someone else) Learn something new every day :cool:

Thanks for the info fastrhoads :)

Post Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:06 pm 

fastrhoads wrote:
As for the mobo, I have not seen any with 3.0 USB headers on the board itself. You can get a long usb cable and connect one of the rear 3.o usb ports to the front, but otherwise I beleive you will be waiting.

almost there..

That is the issue with the board I chose. It has no 3.0 ports at all, none for the header and none out back. Just loads of 2.0 ports.

Is it worth RMA'ing this board for one that has 3.0 ports? (Actually the HAF has (2) very long cords to hook up to a motherboard if it only has them in the back.)

Wish I knew what the heck USB 3.0 was before I ordered this board.

Thanks

Going to try and go learn the OPK thing so I can make the OEM op system work in the meantime.

Radeon HD5850 (Crossfire)
Win Pro 7 64-BT
Western Digital 300G 10K Raptor
WD 1TB Black storage internal.
Seagate 1 TB storage (trying out Seagate 1st time)
Corsair Dominator 2Gx3 TR3X6G1600C8D
HAF-X 942 (I Like)
PSU Cooler Master RSA00-80GAD3 1000W Gold Modular

kids get my "old" Dell:
Stock Dell XPS 630i
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.66GHz
MB - Stock Dell
RAM - 4GB stock Dell
PSU - Stock 750W
GPU - (1) stock 9800 GT
HD - (2) 320GB, S2, 7200 Western Digital, RAID 0.
Sound- Creative SB X-Fi
Op Sys - Windows 7 Ultimate x32

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:11 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Steam ID: fasterrhoads
zaksdad12 wrote:
fastrhoads wrote:

almost there..

That is the issue with the board I chose. It has no 3.0 ports at all, none for the header and none out back. Just loads of 2.0 ports.

Is it worth RMA'ing this board for one that has 3.0 ports? (Actually the HAF has (2) very long cords to hook up to a motherboard if it only has them in the back.)

Wish I knew what the heck USB 3.0 was before I ordered this board.

Thanks

Going to try and go learn the OPK thing so I can make the OEM op system work in the meantime.

I have looked and did not see any mobo's with the 3.0 USB headers. I would stay with the board you purchased. Just my 2 pennies.

New Case Coming: Intel Core i7 980-X @4.5GHz*EVGA X58 E770 Classified 3 Way*Corsair H100 4 Scythe Fans Push/Pull*Mushkin Redline 6GBs 1600Mhz*EVGA GTX 570SC*WD Velociraptor 600GB*Lamptron Fan Controller Touch*Enermax Galaxy EVO 1250W Sleeved*Windows 7 64Bit Ultimate*

New O.C. 5.13.11

Previous CPU:

BIOS Templates

Supported PhysX Games
Click Here

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:29 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Agreed. There is no point in USB 3.0 right now. Its still not really being implemented to the fullest. Everything is still pretty much on 2.0. Only very few devices (if any) support 3.0.

By the time USB 3.0 becomes the new standard, it will be a few years (at the least).

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:47 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Definitely agree with m3th0d1c4l & fastrhoads regarding the USB 3.0. Perosnally I do not think it's worth the extra dollars to use currently. Now when you're ready to use USB 3.0 just buy THIS or if you want USB3.0/SATA6G, you can buy THIS.

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

[ 12 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » Other » Building Your Own Rig