Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » Other » Building Your Own Rig

[ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Thoughts of using the mobo
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:42 pm 

For my "server" down in the cold dark basement it currently runs ftp- (only when i need it on) VNC server- i access it form work to run pings to customers modems for days at a time for troubleshooting purposes..Backup storage for all the computers and also the big hammer - Running 4 wired trendnet tv-ip100 and 1 tv-ip200w wireless security cameras using IPview Pro software and will be adding atleast 2 more cameras. When there is motion in front of a camera is records a 10Mb video and will continue to record untill motion stops. The avg bandwidth just going to this computer for the video is around 40mbps. Everyday or 2 i have to access and delete 50+ gigs of video footage from either the chickens messin around or the tree's really blowing or the cat lays in front of a camera and keeps flickin its tail. Network bandwidth is no issue using netgear prosafe switches. The computer is a older dell slimline gt280 or something that i got from Ebay becouse the updated there puters. I added 2 gig ram and 640gig sata drive. The cpu is Intel R Pentium 4 2.80 HT 800fsb. The cpu is at 100% usage at all times now since adding the 5th camera and before this it was at 70-90% on 4 cameras. I got this dell mobo laying around that jumped out of the 630i case. I would like to get a 4u rack server chassis, 1tb HD, upgrade my 630i psu to a corsair1000 watter and use the dell 750 in the server case. I got 2 gig of ram that came with the 630i mobo and if i have to ill upgrade that. I will not be using vista os and will stay with xp pro and if i have to will get xp 64bit if more memory usage is required. What cpu would yall recomend? core 2? The old server will still be used for ftp and work things and backup but its being overloaded as it sits now with hot air blowing like crazy out the back for the past year or so. Ohh and i still got the 9800gt gpu that came with the system

8 Gig G-Skill ddr2-800
2x 500GB - 7200rpm Sata 3.0Gb/s, 32MB Cache Raid 0
2x EVGA GTX-285 Both 01G-P3-1281-AR
Never decided on the drivers to use.

[ 1 post ] 

Board index » General Discussions » Other » Building Your Own Rig