Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Fan / Light / Master I/O / HDD Light / LightFX 2.0 Problems

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Problem with Northbridge Fan on my XPS 630i
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:54 am 

Hello,

I have a problem with northbridge fan on my XPS 630i. It creates a screeching sound similar to an electric saw, weird thing is that sometimes it's louder and sometimes it stops completely. i don't know what's causing it, also tried cleaning with compressed air and checked for anything that could be stuck but found nothing. The sound seems to be coming from northbridge fan but could also be coming from CPU fan. Is there a way of verifying this? I would really appreciate any help with this problem.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Problem with Northbridge Fan on my XPS 630i
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:24 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

The best way to determine the source of the noise is to open the case and check (being careful to not touch any components in the process while it's running). IIRC, the northbridge fan can be replaced (someone posted about this a while ago), as well as the stock cooler.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post subject: Re: Problem with Northbridge Fan on my XPS 630i
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:07 am 

Thanks for your reply,

that's what i tried initially but wasn't sure since the Northbridge is so close to CPU.

I just got error message: NB Fan Failure message upon boot! so that confirms it!

I'll check out the other post for replacement info and will post back if any issues should come up.

Thanks again for your support!

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Fan / Light / Master I/O / HDD Light / LightFX 2.0 Problems