Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Fan / Light / Master I/O / HDD Light / LightFX 2.0 Problems

[ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Case LEDs
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:47 pm 

Hi all,

I recently bought an XPS 630i off a well known auction site.

I am struggling to get the LEDs to work on the machine at all.

Basic set up is I have added two 500Gb drives in a RAID0 array.
Zotac Nvidia GeForce 480 (I think, can't remember)

Installed Vista 32-bit as those are the discs that came with the PC (plan to run either 64-bit Win7 or Vista later on as PC has 8gb).

I know that under the Nvida Performance there should be a 'Chassis' tab for the lights, but I only have CPU, MoBo, Memory & GPU.

I have tried multiple nvidia drivers and the Alien FX tool but no luck.
Also tried version 6.0.3.

I understand too the updating the MIO firmware may help? but no option to update firmware under nvidia control panel, just update for graphics drivers.

About to install nForce 650i SLI drivers, hoping this will give me the option to update the firmware. Is this correct?

BIOS is 1.0.13 noticed this site has 1.0.13a would this be worth updating?

I really want the fancy lights...please can you help me?

Paul
About to install

Post subject: Re: Case LEDs
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:14 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Hi Paul, welcome to the forum!

The solution may lie in one of the following four sets of steps (this is item 11 from the link below):

resources/faq.html

Solution 1: Run NVIDIA System Monitor (Start -> Programs -> NVIDIA Corporation -> NVIDIA System Monitor) right after a restart. You should only need to run it once for the Performance option to (hopefully) appear.

Solution 2: (which it sounds like you've already tried) Failing that, try uninstalling and reinstalling the ESA software.

Solution 3: If that doesn't work, try the following steps:

A) Disconnect the power molex (item no. 6 in the following link) from the Master I/O Board situated behind the case fan housing (link with photos here--see billybigfoot's second post on this page).
B) Shut down your PC and disconnect the power lead/connector, then press the power button to discharge any residual power.
C) Open the case and you will be just about able to get to the molex connected to the Master I/O Board fixed to the inside of the case to the rear of the upper fan. Unplug it.
D) Reconnect your power lead/connector and restart your PC. Let it boot to the desktop, and then shutdown again.
E) Disconnect the power lead/connector once more and press the power button.
F) Reconnect the molex to the Master I/O Board. Replace the power lead/connector and restart.

Solution 4: If these three steps still haven't resolved it, it may mean a bad Master I/O Board in need of replacement.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:25 am 

Hi,

Thank you for welcoming me to the forum, I will be a regular visitor and hopefully contributor.

Also thank you for your suggestions I will try them out and report back, hopefully by Sunday once I have tried everything out.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:55 am 

I got my LEDs working :D

Feel a bit silly as I should have spotted this when I first opened up the case, basically the molex cable was not even plugged into the MIO board :rofl:

I know some people don't like the lights but I do, (I'm strange like that).

Using AlienFX to change lights now works great too.

Would I be save to use the latest Nvida drivers now? or is it best to stick with 6.0.3?

Thanks once again for your help.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 2:10 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Excellent! :cool: Glad the lights are working--BTW, I forgot to answer your other questions (sorry about that!)

The latest Nvidia graphics card drivers should be separate from the 6.0.3 ESA drivers (i.e. they can be installed/uninstalled without affecting each other--see link below), so yes, you should be able to install the latest gfx drivers without any problem, providing they're actually a good release; I'll be installing them myself today and trying them out. :) So anyway, the 6.0.3 ESA drivers should stay put--especially since everything's working, keep them as-is. :)

resources/installationinstructions.html#esasoftware

As for BIOS v1.0.13a--you can certainly install this if you want to, but oddly enough, I can't find any change log between it and 'vanilla' 1.0.13? It's also no longer available from Dell's 630i support page...go figure. :?:

Even stranger is that (at the time of this writing) there's an entry (link below) for an "XPS 630 XP", but there are no drivers available for it...I have no idea what this model is/was for?

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshoo ... xps-630-xp

Hope this helps!

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 4:16 pm 

Thank you.

As I mentioned earlier I plan to install windows 7 64 bit, as the machine came with windows 7 upgrade, I just managed to get hold of a Dell Vista Home Premium x64 bit disc so will stick this on get the all the drivers going then upgrade.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 7:18 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Sounds good! I have to say--installing Windows is a piece of cake these days. In fact, even with high-speed cable (upwards of 25Mb/s), it's the Windows Update process that takes most of the time. :lolno:

[ 7 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Fan / Light / Master I/O / HDD Light / LightFX 2.0 Problems