Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » New Members - Introduce Yourself!

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: thanks a million
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:05 pm 

I just created an account to give My630i.com the kudoos it deserves and to say "THANK YOU" to all the people here who've spend lots of time finding solutions to the troubles I was facing and answered all the questions I had.

I've had my 630i for 7 years now and I upgraded the easy and obvious stuff:
[*] GPU (GTX 285)
[*] OS (Win7 x86)
[*] RAM (4Gb DDR2@400)
[*] HDD's (2x 250Gb WD Caviar SE16)

I was still using the original CPU (Q6600 :cool: ). But it still did all the things I threw at it: The occasional game (Diablo III, Simcity, Battlefield 3), feed the mediaplayer (MKVmerge, RAR/PAR) and DJ around with Mixmeister.

But then I read about this new and affordable SSD by Samsung: the EVO 840 and I fell in love with it. Looking at my Windows Experience Index, my 2x HDDs in RAID0 had the lowest score and I thought the SSD could fix this and boost the overall performance a bit.
Little did I know about AHCI, NCQ and TRIM. ;)

The SSD did speed things up a bit, but nowhere near my expectations.
The inevadable had to be done: swap the ancient board for something more modern.

Long story short: I had to read and learn A LOT because I did not keep up with PC technology for quite some years. Back in the days a socket came with only one chipset :) But ofcourse the most important question of all: will it fit (and work) in my beloved XPS 630 chassis?

This is where this website made the difference. It's incredible there's an entire communitee alive after all these years, sharing their experiences and challenges. It's great to see all the mods that have been made and there is so much knowledge here, I couldn't have done the upgrade without this forum. :bow:

Since 2 days, I am the proud owner of a revived XPS 630 running Win7 x64 with 8Gb of DDR3@1600, an Asrock H77 Pro4/MVP mainpcb (it's NOT 12.0" x 9,6" ATX :crazy:) and an i3-3240 CPU. The SSD now tops the index with 7.9 and everything is super fast. I only need to find a way to get a working USB3 port on the frontside, but I will keep searching this website untill I find the solution.

Thanks a million and keep up this great website. XPS 630 FTW! :)

Post subject: Re: thanks a million
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:19 pm 

I couldn't agree more! This web site is awesome. I would never attempted the things that I have done to my xps630 had it not been for the people who use this web site. It is very heart-warming to find a group of likeminded people who are only too willing to help others. A really big THANKYOU to all of those involved.

Windows 7 Home Edition (64 bit) SP1
ACER S271HL LED HD 27inch Monitor
ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo
Intel 3rd Gen. Core i5-3570K (4 x 3.40GHz, Ivy Bridge, Socket 1155, 6Mb L3 Cache) CPU (OC'd to 4.2GHz)
Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound Headset
2 x SCSI Hardrives (1 x 256Gb Crucial M4 SSD & 1 x 600Gb WDC Blue WD64 00AAKS-75A7B)
Perixx PX-2000 Illuminated Gaming Keyboard
Gigabyte M8000X Laser Gaming Mouse
Scythe Kaze Master Pro Ace Manual Fan Controller[/size]
Modified front case fans (2 x Aerocool Shark 12cm Quad LED 15 Blade Fluid
Dynamic Bearing Fan-Blue)

Post Posted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:01 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Glad the website has been helpful to you--it's been a great resource to me as well; would never have tried upgrading my own system if it weren't for my630i and its resident gurus. :)

BTW, if you do find a way to get working USB 3.0 on the front panel port, let us all know!

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:18 am 

gdonner wrote:
BTW, if you do find a way to get working USB 3.0 on the front panel port, let us all know!

I think this frontpanel will be the easiest solution to that problem :)

Or this 5.25" Media Dashboard.

[ 4 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » New Members - Introduce Yourself!