Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Update to ram problem
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:12 am 

Hey all, been awhile since my last post but I figured I would update you on the progress.
I ordered 2x 2gb sticks of ram from crucial memory and have done some hardware swapping to find out that my second set of ram slots (the 2 slots on the right) are not functioning at all.

I installed the ram as follows: 2gb stick, 1gb stick, 2gb stick, 1gb stick and the computer showed i had 3gb ram installed.

Then i tried 2gb stick, 2gb stick, and nothing and the computer shows 4gb installed.

Its only reading the ram in the first 2 of 4 ram slots and its always booting into single channel memory mode.

Im pretty sure my mobo is screwed up which is the reason for this...

But im still curious if its a problem with the settings in the bios for the mobo?
I just read online something about having to change memory settings to "unlinked" in bios to get some types of ddr2 to function properly in the 630i...what exactly would changing the setting to "unlinked" do? The reason i'm still wondering about the settings is the problem never occured until after i replaced the BIOS battery and reset the bios.

Im going to just order a replacement mobo in the next day or so after hearing back on this problem, I just hate to order one if it is unnecessary. Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

Post subject: Re: Update to ram problem
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:08 pm 

your mem slots are numbered 0213 from the cpu. You are probable getting your readings from slots 0/2 which is 3 gigs and single chanel. To have duel chanel you need them in slots 0/1. How were they installed from the factory? Mine came in slots 0/2 which is wrong from Dell,When i
I put just the two sticks into slots 0/1( the 2 white slots)my computer will not start but just a steady beep. Dell sent me a faulty MB from the start and knew it buy putting the mem into the wrong slots to make the computer work. To late now tho 4 years later. I only found out about it when I upgraded from win xp to win 7 and neened to add more ram. I suggust that you try only 2 sticks of ram in the 2 white slots and see what happens P.S. when you put the 2 -2 gig.s of ram in the first 2 slots you are getting the full 4 gig.s in single chanel because those are slots 0/2 1 white 1 black for duel chanel they need to be in both white slots.

G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
Corsair CX 750m 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:57 am 

That confuses me a bit...
Im not sure what order the sticks were in from factory, but i had 2 1gb sticks and 2 512 sticks for a total of 3gb ram, and i always had 3gb ram from factory until now.

I have 2x 2gb sticks in the first 2 slots, and what i mean by that is the slots are as follows:

BLACK:2gb stick WHITE:2gb stick BLACK:NO RAM WHITE:NO RAM

With this configuration I have 4gb registered. If I try this, however:

BLACK:2GB stick WHITE: 1gb stick BLACK: 2gb Stick WHITE: 1Gb Stick

OR

BLACK:2GB STICK WHITE: EMPTY BLACK:2GB STICK WHITE:EMPTY

I either get 3gb registered with the first configuration, or if i use the second i get 2gb ram registered. I swear the first Black and first White are the only two slots registering. Right now I have a 2gb stick in each and its showing 4g ram installed. Any other positioning and it doesnt show the stick...

Post Posted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:01 pm 

It sounds to me like you got a bad board from Dell as I did. When they put my ram into the wrong slots to make my computer work they knew it was messed up.
You should have 2 white slots and 2 black slots the 2 white ones being for the first matched set of ram and the 2 black for the second matched set. I think that your board is only looking at the first 2 slots the 1 white and 1 black (which will registr as single chanel)and that is what will show up as your ram be it 3 or 4 gigs depending on the sticks of ram in them.

Disregard the above I see that you had 3 gigs from the factory looking at your first post you need to put the first matched set of ram into the 2 white slots (use the 2 -2gigs sticks) and the other set into the black slots which should give you duel chanel . And it should show all of your ram If it only shows4 gigs then I would say that the second 2 slots are not showing up

G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case
Corsair CX 750m 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 OEM (64-bit)
EVGA GeForce GTX 960 SuperSC ACX 2.0+ 2GB GDDR5

[ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion