Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion

[ 20 posts ] 
 Post subject: UPDATE to ram/graphics card problem.
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:28 am 

Turns out, its not the graphics card causing the system to boot into single channel memory mode. I bought an nvidia geforce gt520 1024mb DDR3 card today from best buy. Installed and updated drivers just fine. Computer is still booting into single channel memory mode and wont boot into dual mode no matter what I do.

So apparently out of nowhere in one night my graphics card completely fried AND my mobo stopped recognizing dual channel memory. I can put any one stick in any one of the four slots for ram though and the computer works fine and recognizes it.

Any ideas??

Post subject: Re: UPDATE to ram/graphics card problem.
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:42 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

I would try to reset the motherboard by clearing the CMOS.

Turn off the computer and unplug the machine. Open the case and look for the coin cell battery on the motherboard. Remove that battery, and press and hold the power button for 2 mins until the board is reset to factory. Afterwards, reinsert the battery and plug the machine back in and see if it works.

My bet is that the memory controller on the motherboard may be fried, in which the motherboard will need to be replaced. But this might fix it. If not, well...then its the board.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:08 am 

I appreciate the fast reply m3th0d1c4l...

I reset the CMOS like youve said and had to reset the proper time in the bios.
The computer is still booting into single channel mode.

The odd thing is that the computer will boot into dual channel mode, but only when i have 4 512mb sticks in the ram slots. And even then it only shows 1gb of ram. Im really hoping its not the mobo as I definitely dont have the money to buy another right now. Especially after the graphics card replacement.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:15 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Could you tell me what voltages the RAM is running at in the BIOS? Maybe we need to up the motherboard chipset or RAM voltage.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:19 am 

Currently the CPU is 2.66ghz and 1333 FSB...the RAM is running at 667mhz which is the defualt and voltage is set to auto.

Ive tried setting voltage to 1.8, 1.9, and 2.0 so far to no avail.
Also have tried setting ram at 800mhz although its rated at 667...

The ram is 2 1gb sticks and 2 512mb sticks from Samsung (the stock ones)
They are DDR2 SDRAM at 667 MHZ according to my Packing Slip from the computer's original shipment. I dont know alot about changing this stuff though so I dont want to mess anything up. The CMOS was never reset since the computer was shipped to me until now. And after the reset is when it stopped recognizing dual channel. I think one of the settings is off but im not sure which.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:22 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

What about the Northbridge voltage? I am sure its set to Auto, but does it show the current value?

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:25 am 

Im not sure of what youre talking about?
There is no northbridge option?
Im sorry im not of more help than that but i can go into bios and write down the options and post them if youd like.

My bios version is 1.0.13 which is the latest from dell btw.

Oh and I just re-read the question you posted...
The voltage settings while set to Auto do not show current voltage, just auto.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:32 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Ahh. Yea it might have said something like IOH or ICH Voltage/Strap in there.

But its good. My guess is the northbridge chipset is toast to be completely honest. In such cases, sometimes upping the voltage on the NB chip can get it working, but not always. That was what I was trying to do.

But if you see an option in there for IOH voltage, or maybe Chipset nForce voltage, that is it. Try setting it to 1.30v or 1.35 if you find it, and see if that may help.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:34 am 

Ok, ill go look for those settings and try changing that and get back with you.

I really appreciate your time im at wit's end here. :p

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:38 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

No problem buddy. Glad to try and be of help.

Honestly though, if you read about the experiences that users have had with the stock board, you can really discern how much of a pile of $hit it really is. I myself, swapped my stock board out within the first month of owning my 630i......but that was over 2 years ago.

If raising that nForce SPP voltage does not work, then the NB chip is definitely toast. On the older boards, the NB controlled the memory. On newer platforms, the memory controller is integrated into the processor.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:45 am 

Ok, well just an update...

The bios actually does show voltage on auto setting, they appear as follows (on auto)

CPU Core = 1.2250v
CPU FSB = 1.10v
Memory Voltage = 1.80v
Chipset voltage = 1.25v

I tried upping chipset voltage to 1.30 as well as 1.35v and neither helped, still single channel memory.

What makes no sense is why would my memory be fine with dual channel UNTIL i took out the cmos battery and replaced it and now it wont recognize it? And yet it will boot into dual channel memory mode with 4 512mb sticks but still only show 1gb of ram. It will NOT boot into dual memory mode with 2 1gb sticks and 2 512mb sticks though. This is really confusing at this point. Which motherboard is the best replacement for the stock one? (which one did you wind up going with?
)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:52 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

That is really weird. Did you try any other memory modules? Maybe there might be something wrong with those 1GB sticks.

And you are inserting both 1GB sticks into the matching color RAM slots correct? Matched memory sticks must go into the same color slot.

When I upgraded mine, I got an EVGA 780i SLI motherboard, which was top of the line back then. Only thing is, they are no longer made, and it is VERY hard to come by those boards nowadays. Only way to really get them is used or refurbished on ebay or forums. XFX also makes the same 780i board.

But in all reality, buying the old technology is not the way to go. I would just upgrade the motherboard, CPU and RAM to the newer model stuff (i5/i7, DDR3, etc) and make the most of it, or even buy a new prebuilt computer with all the goodies.

If you want to save on the $$$ for now, I would just run with what you have for the time being and save up some $$$ for a nice build to make it worth the while.

It really would not hurt to try a new set of RAM though. The max the 630i board can take is 2GB sticks of PC2-6400, which is DDR2 800Mhz RAM. I would give it a shot, and see what happens. It might work given the fact that another set of memory works in dual channel, so you got a 50/50 chance of it being the memory or the motherboard.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:21 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Call me crazy for suggesting this but I recommend a hardware reinstall for every component. I would reset the bios to default by pressing the cmos button once, disconnect everything from the mobo then connect everything back. This has worked for me several times in the past with older mobos. Never hurts to try :think:

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:38 pm 

That confuses me too now that you say that blah man...the jumpers and button reset stuff.

Which of the 2 buttons (right or left) are for cmos reset? I know i have the 2 "jumpers", one white and one blue and cant tell what to do with them either.

Currently there are 5 pins next to each other, and the first jumper is on pins 2 and 3, and the 2nd is on pins 4 and 5. By 1-5 I mean 1 is the far left pin while 5 is the far right. Is this the position they are supposed to be in?

If I were to reset cmos and disconnect/reconnect everything I would just power down and disconnect power cord, THEN press the button to reset cmos, then disconnect/reconnect it all, then power back up is that correct? As I said Im not too familiar with all of this and dont want to cause any further damage. :p

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:03 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Go here to understand how to use the clear cmos pins... http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/s ... #wp1160397

After using the clear cmos, disconnect all internal hardware that is connected to the motherboard then reconnect the hardware. This also includes disconnecting the GPU(s) and memory from the motherboard and reconnect them. After reconnecting the cables to the motherboard & reinstalling the GPU(s) & memory, turn the computer on and see if everything is okay. If not, I will agree with m3th0d1c4l that you either have bad memory, the memory controller is not functioning properly or faulty motherboard (in your case, the ram slot).

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:23 pm 

Thanks for your replies...

Unfortunately, I reset the CMOS and disconnected/reconnected everything as you've said and to no avail. Computer still booted in single memory mode with 1.5 out of 3gb showing. The reason Im not so sure about swapping the ram before the mobo is that I can put each stick in individually or in pairs in the first ram slot, and it will recognize and utilize the ram perfectly. Its only when I double the stack with 2 cards in each ram slot that it wont recognize dual mode. If I put a 1gb card in the far left slot and put a 1gb card in the right side's left slot (matching colors) it still only shows 1gb of ram and single channel mode. Idk...I dont really have hardware to test so I guess ill just have to use my system on 1.5gb ram and I just cant play any heavy games. Whenever I can (probably a while) ill order a new mobo and anything else I need to get it going again and I will post back to you guys. Do you know what some of the price differences are between the stock type of mobo (ive heard you can get them around $100, and the Intel i5 or i7 mobos? What hardware would I have to swap with these and what hardware could i generally keep? Again, your time is very much appreciated.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:46 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

seath15 wrote:
Its only when I double the stack with 2 cards in each ram slot that it wont recognize dual mode.

Let's not confuse others when reading this thread. Instead of saying 2 "cards" in each ram slot, you should say 2 "sticks of ram". We call graphic card(s) or GPU(s), cards.

seath15 wrote:
If I put a 1gb card in the far left slot and put a 1gb card in the right side's left slot (matching colors) it still only shows 1gb of ram and single channel mode.

Please confirm the following...So you have a total of 4 sticks of ram = to 3GB...right :?: You are using a GTS 250 1GB card...right :?: Only 1.5GB is showing up out of 3GB of total memory (when 4 sticks of ram are installed) after the windows boot :?:

Post Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:53 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

He also mentioned that the motherboard shows that it is running in single channel mode when the system is booting past BIOS.

That is what makes me think the motherboard has an issue here, or possibly the RAM. The only reason I suspect the RAM is because it works fine with 2 other sticks. So its really worth a shot at replacing it. If it doesn't fix it, you can always return the new RAM back to the store.

512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Last edited by m3th0d1c4l on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:00 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

m3th0d1c4l wrote:
He also mentioned that the motherboard shows that it is running in single channel mode when the system is booting past BIOS.

Well let's think about this for a moment...If he's using Win XP, it makes sense that he's only seeing 1.5GB out of 3GB cuz you have 1GB from the gpu and 512mb allocated for the OS. Now if he's using Vista or Win 7, that's a different story (please correct me if I'm wrong :think: ).

Post Posted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:59 am 

Ok sorry for the card/stick wording confusion...

I have 2 1gb ram sticks and 2 512mb ram sticks, which totals up to 3gb of ram.
I am running windows 7 ultimate x64.

M3th0d1c4l, you are absolutely right that Id be better off to try new ram first, simply for the fact that I plan to upgrade the ram anyways. I want to go from 3gb to a total of 6 or maybe even 8 now that i have a 64 bit OS. So if I have to buy these sticks anyways, I may as well go ahead and then POSSIBLY not have to wind up buying a new mobo. If the sticks dont make a difference, well then at least I have them for when I do get my new mobo.

And to drblahman...I understand what you are saying about the memory being allocated in that way. The actual problem isnt the allocation of memory though. When I enter the Bios after post, the computer actually states "Single Channel Memory Mode, 1500 (or whatever it is) mb ram installed".

Even if the ram was allocating to leave only 1500 as spare ram, it would still say dual channel memory mode, 3000 mb ram installed like It always has.

Something is actually keeping the computer from booting into dual channel mode and utilizing both of the sets of ram slots. It is only using the first and ignoring the second and booting into single channel mode. I guess its either ram or mobo since ive eliminated graphics card and faulty hardware to motherboard connections already. Ill just have to start with ram and if it doesnt work ill have to replace the mobo. :/

Thank you both again, and though it will be awhile before i can afford to fix it I will post back the progress and results so that if anyone has a similar problem hopefully it wont be as much of a problem for them as it was for me.

[ 20 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion