Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Display issue - graphics cards?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:54 am 

Steam ID: nickwalnut
Hi,

I'm currently having a rather distressing problem with my PC, and I'm convinced the root of the problem is my graphics cards but am looking to be nearer to 100% sure before I replace them.

I have a stock 630i with Quad Core 2.66Ghz and 2x nVidia 9800GT SLI cards. I had a similar problem to somebody else on this forum with regards to screen-flickering in-game, and resolved the cause of this issue to be the bridge between the two cards. I removed the bridge from the cards, and the problem disappeared. For about half a week.

Then I started getting computer crashes at random intervals, complete with screen artifacts. These would (and still) occur at any time, but are most prevalent when I maximise a window or start up a game. The screen pixels get garbled, and the computer basically freezes.

I've tried replacing the bridge, to no avail. Testing cards individually, I find that with the primary card inserted into the primary slot, this always occurs at some point. The secondary card worked fine initially on its own, but now when it's in the slot Windows recognises it as a faulty device and disables it.

All these facts point to the graphics cards as the issue; however, I am more worried that I may be wrong and perhaps the motherboard connection to these cards is damaged.

Here is a shot of what the screen looks like after a crash:

Note that my wallpaper does not consist of anything even remotely resembling a rainbow, and is in fact quite monochromatic.

In anybody's experienced opinion, is this just a graphics card issue? I don't mind as much if it is just a card issue, as I was planning on upgrading to a 480GTX soon anyway. If there is a large chance it isn't, what else could it be and how can I test for this scenario?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Post subject: Re: Display issue - graphics cards?
 Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 6:06 pm 

Sure looks like graphics cards to me. Is it still under warranty? Have you run Dell Diagnostics?

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

Post Posted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:57 pm 

Steam ID: nickwalnut
I've tried running Dell Diagnostics, but it freezes on "Initializing DellSys.MSM". The memory check turned out fine.

Unfortunately my warranty has expired according to the Dell website. However I'm sure I have a "2-year Premier XPS Service" still valid after checking my invoice, but I'm not sure exactly what that entitles me to, especially considering I tampered with the graphics cards myself. :P

Post Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:46 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Since you've checked the bridge and each gpu individually, all you can do at this point is buy another gpu. If you still have this situation afterwards, I would say it's the pcie slot on the mobo which will indicate a mobo replacement.

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

[ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion