Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Front Power Button / Damaged connector Issue
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:55 am 

The other evening my stock 630i started powering down by itself. After the PC went dark, it powered itself back on after about 1 second. It didn’t even get to the BIOS screen and once again shut down. So I yanked the AC plug, waited a little while and replaced the AC plug. I hit the power button and the PC started normally and was working without issue for over an hour. Once again, on its own it did an orderly windows shutdown as it would if the power button was pressed.

I called Dell support and told them that I suspected that the front power button was the issue. However, they had me re-seat memory chips and HDD cables. In when I pulled the HDD cables I immediately noticed that the connectors on both drives were damaged (pins exposed). On the second drive I noticed that one pin was actually bent down. There’s no way I could have done this by simply pulling the cables straight out from the drives as I did. I’m convinced this was like this from the factory. This was the first time I ever opened the case. There was never a need to.

I was able to successfully bend the pin up again and connect both cables to the drives (and they are working). With the Dell tech on the phone, the PC yet again just powered down by itself and started cycling. The Dell tech agreed to send me two replacement drives and after some convincing, the front power button board with cable.

I’m going to attempt to install the part myself since Dell tells me that they can’t guarantee I will get a tech to come in the evening when I’m home. In the meantime, I’ve disconnected the power button/drive LED connector from the m/b. The down side is that to power up the PC I need to open the case and press the small button on the m/b. The good news is that the PC doesn’t shut down (or power up) by itself.

Has anyone else ever run into these issues on the 630i?

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Processor Q9400 2.66GHz 1333MHz FSB 6MB Cache
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz 4x1024MB Memory
750 GB Serial ATA Non Raid 7200 RPM Hard Drive
500 GB Serial ATA Non Raid 7200 RPM Hard Drive
512MB nVidia GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Card
Dell 19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth
Genuine Windows XP Professional SP3
DVD+/-RW 16X

Post subject: Re: Front Power Button / Damaged connector Issue
 Post Posted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:56 am 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

Steam ID: billybigfoot
Welcome to the forum, I haven't had the problem with the power switch, nice catch btw.

I have however had to deal with Dell's tech support and have had to jump through thier hoops even though I knew what the problem was. Good to know you managed to get them to send you the parts, good luck with the repair and please do post back how you get on.

i7: Intel i7 860 2.8GHz | Intel DP55WG | 8GB PC10666 | GTX275 (896Mb) | HD-1 TB | DVD/CD- LG BlueRay + DVD/CD Burner | OCZ SilentxStream 700w | RealTek ALC 889 | CASE-Lian Li 7FN Black | Win 7 U 64bit | G35/G19/G9 | Dell 22 inch SP2208WFP

Post subject: Re: Front Power Button / Damaged connector Issue
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:24 pm 

I successfully replaced the new power switch. Needed to remove the video card, card fan and front cover. Key was keeping all the cables away from the fan since I didn’t have any replacement ties. Used electrical tape to keep them in place.

Dell also sent two new drives as promised. Unfortunately they didn’t send any cables, so I had to remove the connector debris from one of them in order to re-use.

Thanks to Acronis True Image software, I was able to restore latest backup image to the new drive. Only downside is losing the diagnostics partition.

Intel Core 2 Quad Core Processor Q9400 2.66GHz 1333MHz FSB 6MB Cache
4GB Dual Channel DDR2 800MHz 4x1024MB Memory
750 GB Serial ATA Non Raid 7200 RPM Hard Drive
500 GB Serial ATA Non Raid 7200 RPM Hard Drive
512MB nVidia GeForce 9800 GT Graphics Card
Dell 19 in 1 Media Reader with Bluetooth
Genuine Windows XP Professional SP3
DVD+/-RW 16X

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion