Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Fed up with this!
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:26 pm 

The process of getting a working Dell XPS 630i has been the most horrid experience of my life. Neglecting the fact that the machine took two months to get here (with no mouse, replaced by 5 125v power cables), after after screwing around with it for over a month, I still don't have a machine that can FUNCTION PROPERLY. I have been to this website, Dells, and many others, aswell as spent countless hours over the phone with support who's only solution ever seems to be re installing the O/S. They've put me through diagnostics etc. etc. to no avail, apparently all my devices are 100% fine (motherboard, processor, video card etc.)
But since the computer would still lock up, blue screen while doing simple tasks, they sent a technician to replace my motherboard and hard drive.
When this was done, it took 2 weeks for dell to send me the Vista disk. Then another 2 to send me my correct 64 bit disc. By that time, I had already purchased Windoiws 7.
It seems to be working, better now at least. Well, not really.
I have a problem which comes and goes as it pleases, when it's present i cant highlight text in explorer, and my taskbar gets all messed up. If I have two windows open in the same program, I must close it because it won't let me select. alt + tab just flickers so that doesn't help. When I run applications they will open behind my current window. When I use Windows live messenger, I bluescreen within 5 minuites of a conversation and my video games always quit on me due to nvidia drivers failing and recovering, which is better then totally crashing, I guess.
I can't send it back at this point obviously, because they had me wait for so long only to screw me over, which was obviously the big evil plan.
SO WHAT DO I DO NOW? I'm at the brink of insanity, this is immoral, and inhumane.
I talked to many dell representatives, no matter how high up on the chain they seem to be, they sound exactly like technical support. Clueless.
WHO RUNS THIS FREAKIN SHOW? THE TALIBAN?
I see many other people with similar problems as I, but never seems to be to this dramatic of an extent. Or usually there is no solution.
someone please give me some insight, I am desperately clutching onto any sanity I have left, I blew altogether 4k on this rig. I almost failed my first semester of college because this machine has served me no purpose, and it is the main reason I got it other then gaming.
SO? ANYONE STILL READING?
I'm just about willing to upgrade my motherboard to the evga 780i F T W, but do I really have to dish out more money for what may only be a probable solution? How do I know this will solve my issues?

DELL XPS 630i
2x 300GB veliceraptor 10k rpm hard drives in RAID 0
Nvidia GeForce GTX 285
3.0 quad processor (not overclocked)
8GB RAM
8.1 surround

also something I've noticed that is extremely strange, when these issues are occuring and i analyze my windows files with CCleaner, the problem is temporarily disabled (until I either clean it the disk or close the program) and if I restart the computer afterwards, the problems may go away temporarily until they decide to come back (which usually takes a couple of hours). The windows live blue screens still occur, however.
Hopefully this helps, although I'm pretty sure you are all just as baffled as I am.

Post subject: Re: Fed up with this!
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:49 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
We feel your pain...

One member took a sledge hammer to his.

One member took his case to his state's attorney general.

One member swapped out his motherboard.

You get the point.

My XPS 630 Blog

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:47 pm 

Seeing as I don't exactly have the cash flow, taking a sledgehammer to my machine isn't exactly the solution I was looking for, especially considering most of the hardware is in perfectly good shape.
I would write a complaint, however this does not get me any closer to solving my computer issues, and would be a waste of time seeing as it's been done before and Dell has not reacted or responded, whatsoever.
So, I guess I don't have much a choice but to switch out my motherboard eh? But can anyone verify if this has actually worked for them? As the title suggests, I'm fed up, I just want a solution.

These are the three motherboards I'm looking at, but honestly I don't know too much about motherboards... It's the reason I decided to let Dell build this rig for me in the first place. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188024
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188013
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188026

Thank you all!

Post Posted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:48 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

So, you're thinking about a mobo upgrade...

All the mobos you've selected are excellent but I can tell you now that you do not want to go back in time and purchase a 680i mobo. Regarding the other 2 mobos, are you planning to OC the cpu :?: Are you interested in SLI or you prefer to use only 1 gpu :?: What quad processor are you using :?:

Instead of answering my questions in this thread, please create another thread in this section regarding mobo upgrade... viewforum.php?f=4

You will get more responses that will help you decide the direction you would like to take :)

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

[ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion