Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Red Flickering monitor in game when SLI enabled, help?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:09 am 

ok guys i am encountering this kind of problem with my 630i when i am playing games like Crysis Warhead, Prototype and almost all games. well the problem is my screens starts to flicker in red when i open the game. any idea with this? please i need help.

my GPU info :
2x nVidia Geforce 9800 GT 512MB

so now im just using the other GPU for PhysX dedicated GPU and the other one for my main display. so my settings are, PhysX enabled, SLI disabled.

thanks in advance.

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz
Vista Home Premium SP2 32Bit

Post subject: Re: Red Flickering monitor in game when SLI enabled, help?
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:21 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

A few questions for you...1) Are you using the current Nvidia driver :?: 2) What game(s) is(are) this occurring on :?: 3) Have you done any additional configuring in the Nvidia control panel besides having SLI enabled :?:

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:25 am 

Steam ID: dcglts
Usualy when I see that it is a loose video cable. But it could be a failing card. Try running it with just 1 card at a time and swap the slot it is in to rule out that a slot is going bad. Also could you have a bad SLI bridge?

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:33 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

dcgtls wrote:
Usualy when I see that it is a loose video cable. But it could be a failing card. Try running it with just 1 card at a time and swap the slot it is in to rule out that a slot is going bad. Also could you have a bad SLI bridge?

+1 rep...Good suggestion :!: Spawgn, you should try that 1st & if both gpu's are working, then answer the questions. Since this is happening with one game (based on title of thread), I'm assuming this could be minor. The only way to see if it's the SLI bridge, you need to get your hands on another one...maybe from a friend of yours :?:

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:09 am 

well guys im using the stock SLI cable. and i think both GPU works fine. maybe i need to get a new SLI cable. and about the game, it happens with Protoype and Crysis Warhead and some of my games. sorry im kinda noob about the hardwares and stuffs so i cant explain much of it. :oops:

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:33 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Spawgn wrote:
well guys im using the stock SLI cable. and i think both GPU works fine. maybe i need to get a new SLI cable. and about the game, it happens with Protoype and Crysis Warhead and some of my games. sorry im kinda noob about the hardwares and stuffs so i cant explain much of it. :oops:

Do not assume both gpu's work. You need to physically check them by placing them in each gpu slot and test them. Also try rotating the SLI bridge to see what happens. You should also uninstall the gpu driver and install them again (make sure it's the most current Nvidia driver).

If it's not the gpu's, the SLI bridge, and the drivers, then you might need a bios update if you are not using the latest bios.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:38 pm 

drBlahMan wrote:
Do not assume both gpu's work. You need to physically check them by placing them in each gpu slot and test them. Also try rotating the SLI bridge to see what happens. You should also uninstall the gpu driver and install them again (make sure it's the most current Nvidia driver).

If it's not the gpu's, the SLI bridge, and the drivers, then you might need a bios update if you are not using the latest bios.

ok mate i will try that. ;) about the BIOS i think i have the lates version of it. may 2009 version i think if i am right.

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

The list of specific changes in each BIOS revision may also be helpful:

resources/bios_update_release_notes.html

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:45 pm 

gdonner wrote:
The list of specific changes in each BIOS revision may also be helpful:

http://www.my630i.com/resources/bios_up ... notes.html

thanks for the link, i have this version 1.0.13 (5/19/2009).

drBlahMan wrote:

i tried placing the SLI bridge upside down but it still no help. 2nd i tried placing them in each GPU, and i think the GPU at the top doesnt work. :shock: my monitor goes to power saving mode when i powered my system using the upper GPU slot. so any idea how can i fix this? thanks. ;) :)

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:17 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Spawgn wrote:
my monitor goes to power saving mode when i powered my system using the upper GPU slot. so any idea how can i fix this? thanks.

Confirm this but it sounds like you're trying to operate the pc with one gpu in the top slot :?: If you're doing this, that's a big no-no :o Forgive me, I've should of been more specific :idea: 1st try SLI with the gpu's, then switch the gpu's and try SLI for a second time. See if you are still recieving the red flickering during both tests.

If this happens, at least you know no matter how you switch the gpu's in the slots, the flickering still exists. To test the gpu's seperately, you want to only install one gpu in the primary gpu slot (the bottom slot). Do this to each one.

If there is no flickering, this will be a good indication that the gpu's are not defective and now you will know that it's either the SLI bridge or the gpu driver or the bios.

If you can get your hands on another SLI bridge that you know for sure it works, try that on the gpu's. If the flickering still exists, you know that it's not the SLI bridge.

Go to the Nvidia website and download (save) the most current gpu driver in a folder or desktop. Remove the old gpu driver from the "Remove & Add Programs." Some people uses a program that makes sure the driver/application is 100% removed, however I've never used one in my entire life and life has been dandy. Install the current Nvidia driver and follow the instructions. Hopefully this will solve the problem but if the flickering still exists, then I can only think it's a bios issue.

Keep me posted ;)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:54 am 

drBlahMan wrote:
Confirm this but it sounds like you're trying to operate the pc with one gpu in the top slot :?: If you're doing this, that's a big no-no :o Forgive me, I've should of been more specific :idea: 1st try SLI with the gpu's, then switch the gpu's and try SLI for a second time. See if you are still recieving the red flickering during both tests.

If this happens, at least you know no matter how you switch the gpu's in the slots, the flickering still exists. To test the gpu's seperately, you want to only install one gpu in the primary gpu slot (the bottom slot). Do this to each one.

do you mean i have to take out the bottom GPU one and put the top GPU in that slot to test it? so u mean i need to take and change the GPU from the mobo? and after that i need to install the driver again? or before installing i need to uninstall the GPU driver first? sorry mate if im not understanding. :oops:

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:58 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Spawgn wrote:
do you mean i have to take out the bottom GPU one and put the top GPU in that slot to test it? so u mean i need to take and change the GPU from the mobo? and after that i need to install the driver again? or before installing i need to uninstall the GPU driver first? sorry mate if im not understanding. :oops:

Lets say you label one gpu "A" and the other gpu "B". A is in the bottom slot and B is in the top slot. Try SLI like that to see if you get the red-flickering then switch the gpu's and try SLI again to see if the red-flickering occurs again. Repeat this with a new SLI bridge.

Then test gpu A in the bottom slot to see if it's working properly, then test gpu B. This is to make sure both gpu's are working correctly.

Now just follow the process of elimination from what I had previously had suggested :)

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:32 pm 

drBlahMan wrote:
then switch the gpu's and try SLI again to see if the red-flickering occurs again.

hey mate what do you mean by this, switch the GPU's and try SLI again. do you mean i have to put B to bottom slot and A to top slot and test the SLI if it works? sorry if im giving you a hard time explaining this to me. :oops:

drBlahMan wrote:
Then test gpu A in the bottom slot to see if it's working properly, then test gpu B.

and this one, do you mean i have to take out B from the mobo for testing A in the bottom slot, and second, take out A and put B in the bottom slot to test it? so to make it short i have to test 1 GPU at a time in bottom slot?

thanks a lot mate, thank you so much for sparing your time answering my questions.

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:37 pm 

oh before i forgot, one thing i've noticed too, when i run the 3DMark06 i got this scores.
here they are :

13897 3DMarks - SLI enabled

11898 3DMarks - SLI disabled

looks like im getting more scores when SLI enabled tho when it is enabled and i start a game red flickering starts, and in the test when SLI was enabled the test runs in a red flickering too. tho i think more FPS. :cry:
hope this helps with the troubleshooting. :oops:

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:06 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Spawgn wrote:
drBlahMan wrote:
then switch the gpu's and try SLI again to see if the red-flickering occurs again.

hey mate what do you mean by this, switch the GPU's and try SLI again. do you mean i have to put B to bottom slot and A to top slot and test the SLI if it works? sorry if im giving you a hard time explaining this to me. :oops:

drBlahMan wrote:
Then test gpu A in the bottom slot to see if it's working properly, then test gpu B.

and this one, do you mean i have to take out B from the mobo for testing A in the bottom slot, and second, take out A and put B in the bottom slot to test it? so to make it short i have to test 1 GPU at a time in bottom slot?

thanks a lot mate, thank you so much for sparing your time answering my questions.

That is correct :D No problem with helping out...that's what we should do for each other :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:49 pm 

drBlahMan wrote:
That is correct :D No problem with helping out...that's what we should do for each other :mrgreen:

well ok. thanks again. i will try that maybe tomorrow coz im about to sleep soon. :oops: anyway, have you tried checking out my next post next to your reply? about the 3DMark06 scores ive posted there. makes me think my 2 GPUs are working properly coz when SLI is enabled i get almost 2000 more scores than SLI disabled. but, with red flickering screen. maybe the problem with the SLI bridge? just my thought tho.

good night to you and to all. and have a nice day.

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:06 am 

ok mate i havnt tried anything yet. ive been busy for some work. and in the office while browsing internet trying to find some ideas why is it happening, ive seen alot of same problem going on with other people whos using SLI. ive read some in the nVidia forums, some fixed it some not, they tried a lot of ways too to fix it. anyway if ive done trying your recommendation, i will let you know.

thanks for all the help mate. :D ;)

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:52 am 

So did you ever figure out what the problem was?
My 730x just a few minutes ago started doing the same thing. The only thing that I did prior was to try overclocking the cards from 600 to 700 and bumping the memory from 900 to 1000 and then launched 3DMark and got the red flickering. I aborted the test and reset the clock and memory back to default and it still does it. I then uninstalled all nVidia software and drivers and reinstalled and still have the same problem. It does it in every game I try.
And to top that off I can not even launch Assasin's Creed now, it just crashes. I have not tried disableing the SLI yet to or swapping any cards, I wanted to see what you found with yours.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:20 am 

Ok I played around with this alittle bit and have found that if I change the game to run in windowed mode instead of full screen the red flickering goes away and everything looks just fine again.
So just from that I would say the cards and the bridge are working correctly.
Now what could possibly cause this?

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:42 am 

Another update:
I rotated the SLI bridge 180 and then the flicker turned green so I put it back the other way. I then swapped out one card and still have the same problem, then swapped out the second card and still have the problem. I then deleted all nVida drivers and software and installed an older version and the problem is still there.
If I leave both cards in and turn off SLI the problem goes away, if I run just one card there is no problem.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:18 am 

ordered a new bridge on ebay, hopefully it will get here on Monday and I can verify if this is the problem. If not then it has to be either the systemboard or the PSU.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:15 am 

sorry for the late reply dcgtls, i was busy around. i just got time to log in and reply here. well in my experience, we experienced same thing. :cry: i dont know what to do with it now. now im just waiting for others who encountered this and resolved this problem, or waiting for a newer nVidia Driver Installer. coz ive seen lot of peoples too whos posting at nVidia forums whos encountering same problem too. i hope it will be resolved in the future.

and i hope too the new SLi Bridge u will get will solve yours.
have a nice day. ;)

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:32 pm 

Update:
:idea: I just remembered that my daughter has a set of 9800GT's in SLI in her XPS 630i. So we swapped the bridge and the problem followed it to hers and her bridge in my 730x work without any issue.

Mystery solved. :D :lol:

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:41 am 

dcgtls wrote:
Update:
:idea: I just remembered that my daughter has a set of 9800GT's in SLI in her XPS 630i. So we swapped the bridge and the problem followed it to hers and her bridge in my 730x work without any issue.

Mystery solved. :D :lol:

so u mean, u just got a bad SLI bridge? well i will try that too, and oh i tried to take out the SLI bridge while running SLI. i mean when i shutdown the PC i took out the SLI bridge and boot again. and it still works, the game doesnt get the red flicker anymore, tho when i test it with 3DMark06 i just got this score: 13321 3DMarks without SLI bridge, and 13897 3DMarks with SLI bridge but with red flickering screen. so my scores only drops 500 without the SLI bridge. :shock:

4.00 GB DDR2 800Mhz

Post Posted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:54 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

If the SLI bridge is not attached to the gpu's, only 1 gpu will be accounted for. SLI is disabled when the bridge is not connected. The other gpu is not doing anything but taking up space, unless you're playing a game that's PhysX compatible (that's a whole different story) :)

[ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion