Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion

[ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: CPU not at speed paid for!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:24 pm 

My processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.4GHz and is loaded that way in my computer the 5-7 links Microsoft gives you all say 2.4GHz in texted even BIOS. Now what is weird is it runs at 1.6GHz all the time with checks from NVIDIA, CPUID, & from the control panel system all say 1600MHz (6X) This is were I lost at how is it my system is setup for 9X in BIOS and only reads 6X running?? I sent E-mails and of course I got (I can verify that your system has a 2.4 GHz processor. Your system may be running at 1.6 because of the power that is being used on your desktop. Also, your system may automatically drop your running speed to 1.6 due to overheating.) Now I sent back and said if it power or overheating is that not warranty issues and of course I got no answer cause my warranty was running out and they wanted me to extend it for 3-years. LOL again they haven’t fixed anything yet and they wanted me to pay $300-$400 for warranty to be safe!! There tech support is great the people remote in know what they are doing, but can’t fix software issues the programs have to. Now I got told Google it for fix by programmer what??

So I didn’t know if anyone else on here has seen this same problem or only way to fix would be clean install of OS.

Last edited by Daniel on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: CPU not at speed paid for!!!
 Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:34 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

So, in the bios, it says 2.4Ghz but while operating in Windows, CPU-Z says 1.6Ghz :?: Am I understanding you correctly :?:

Samsung 840 250Gb | WD Velociraptor 600Gb | Corsair AX-760
ASUS PA248Q-IPS | Ducky Zero DK2108 w/Zinc + PBT Keycaps
Razer DeathAdder 2k13 | Razer Manticor | Razer Tiamat 2.2
Fractal Design Arc Mini | HP Officejet Pro K8600 | Windows 7

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:44 pm 

Do you have NVidia Performance running?
(If so, uninstall it and see if anything changes.)

Also, is SpeedStep enabled?
(I wouldn't expect that to be the issue, but could be worth checking into.)

500GB 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Vista 64
3DMark06: 17488
3DMark Vantage: P11419

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:17 pm 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

ReverendTed wrote:

I'm thinking along with the Rev :mrgreen:

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:44 pm 

So, in the bios, it says 2.4Ghz but while operating in Windows, CPU-Z says 1.6Ghz Am I understanding you correctly?

Yes says 2400.0 9X for settings & current value in BIOS i have screen dump but it in jpeg. and probably have to put on web to put on here??

Yes CPU-Z reads 1600.5 x6.0 also have system reads Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 1.58 GHz, 3.25 of RAM

Yes same problem This is good question i thought i could do dell restore and get the BIOS reading right, but they have some NVIDIA software in there when you restore so i uninstalled and ran for 2-weeks to see if would change same issue. I have the full control panel-6.03, nForce-15.23 & GeForce-186.18 software now. The new update didn't like my monitor did not come up on start-up. So seems like they have the Multiplier locked out and doesn't madder what number is in there it will default to 6X.

Yes SpeedStep is Enabled

Last edited by Daniel on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:47 pm 

Yea, just go into the BIOS and disable Speedstep and CE1. If everything else is OK, you'll then see your CPU running at the advertised speed. (If not, well... something else is going on.)

Latest Build: Skylake i7-6700K | ASUS Z170i | NZXT Kraken X41 Cooler | NZXT Manta Case | Seasonic Platinum SS-660 | Samsung 950 Pro NVME M.2| G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666 | MSI GTX 950 | Windows 10 | Dell 24" 1920x1200 x2

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:41 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
rchris wrote:
Yea, just go into the BIOS and disable Speedstep and CE1. If everything else is OK, you'll then see your CPU running at the advertised speed. (If not, well... something else is going on.)

But before you go into BIOS and make those changes, uninstall the ESA Software (NVIDIA Performance, Monitor, and System Update), including all saved profiles.

Reboot, verify stability, and check your CPU speed with CPU-Z.

Then if everything is okay, reinstall the ESA Software (I recommend Performance only, you don't need Monitor or System Update).

The reason for all these steps is that the ESA Software keeps a "memory" of your BIOS settings, and with it installed and active, it will "undo" what you change in BIOS the next time you boot to your desktop.

My XPS 630 Blog

Post Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:39 am 

devjonfos wrote:
rchris wrote:

But before you go into BIOS and make those changes, uninstall the ESA Software (NVIDIA Performance, Monitor, and System Update), including all saved profiles.

Reboot, verify stability, and check your CPU speed with CPU-Z.

Then if everything is okay, reinstall the ESA Software (I recommend Performance only, you don't need Monitor or System Update).

The reason for all these steps is that the ESA Software keeps a "memory" of your BIOS settings, and with it installed and active, it will "undo" what you change in BIOS the next time you boot to your desktop.

Thx devjonfos for the respond :)

But i tried all that in the beginning i did the dell restore (so computer was like day one) Uninstalled everything NVIDIA and let it run for 3-weeks and no change still reads 1.6 with CPU-Z (i shut-down every night) Now if this takes memory of my system do you think they installed the NVIDIA on it before they change the BIOS and that why it staying at x6 and not x9 like it reads in the BIOS? And if that is true can i uninstall all NIVIDA again and make sure the BIOS is the way i want and do the update for the 1.0.13a BIOS? I have 1.0.12 now i thought when you do the BIOS update it goes back to default settings from Dell and you have to change them to what you had set (if changed)? I don't remember what they were before i did my update i should have wrote that down. :cry:
Let me know if anything else to try :D Thx again for all the help on this site it is awesome glad i found it :P

Last edited by Daniel on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:28 am 

Steam ID: devjonfos
I'm not sure if you are understanding that you need to disable C1E and Speedstep in your BIOS?

C1E and Speedstep lower your CPU during idle times to save power. Which is not a bad thing, but overclockers need to disable C1E and Speedstep in order to have steady vcore during their OC tweaking.

The reason to uninstall NVIDIA (ESA) Performance (not the video drivers) is to be able to make changes to your BIOS and not have them undone by NVIDIA (ESA) Performance when you boot back to your desktop in Windows.

NVIDIA ESA consists of three parts: Performance, System Monitor, and System Update. The latter two are not needed on your system as there are much better tools like CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Real Temp, and Core Temp.

Finally, the BIOS will not reset because you have done a BIOS update. You have to actually tell BIOS to go back to defaults or physically go into the motheboard and clear the BIOS via the CMOS jumper plug.

>>> WARNING: Resetting BIOS back to defaults will disable your RAID setup and prevent Windows from booting. <<<

Now would be a good time to go into your BIOS and document all of your settings before you do anything else.

My XPS 630 Blog

Post Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:37 pm 

devjonfos wrote:
I'm not sure if you are understanding that you need to disable C1E and Speedstep in your BIOS?

C1E and Speedstep lower your CPU during idle times to save power. Which is not a bad thing, but overclockers need to disable C1E and Speedstep in order to have steady vcore during their OC tweaking.

The reason to uninstall NVIDIA (ESA) Performance (not the video drivers) is to be able to make changes to your BIOS and not have them undone by NVIDIA (ESA) Performance when you boot back to your desktop in Windows.

NVIDIA ESA consists of three parts: Performance, System Monitor, and System Update. The latter two are not needed on your system as there are much better tools like CPU-Z, GPU-Z, Real Temp, and Core Temp.

Finally, the BIOS will not reset because you have done a BIOS update. You have to actually tell BIOS to go back to defaults or physically go into the motheboard and clear the BIOS via the CMOS jumper plug.

>>> WARNING: Resetting BIOS back to defaults will disable your RAID setup and prevent Windows from booting. <<<

Now would be a good time to go into your BIOS and document all of your settings before you do anything else.

Hi devjonfos
uh yes i understand how to change my BIOS you said to "But before you go into BIOS and make those changes, uninstall the ESA Software (NVIDIA Performance, Monitor, and System Update), including all saved profiles." So was i miss understanding what was texted? And true i have to disable Speedstep and CE1 to get the 2400MHz I have done this before to test it. But my main problem is why do i have to make my CPU run at what it should have from factory?
But why does the BIOS not control the CPU cause mine says Current CPU Freq, MHz 2400.0 CPU Multiplier 9X same for both Settings & Current Value. Now if that true then why?? is CPU running at 1600MHz at 6X?? This came from factory this way i just trying to let NEW people buying systems to check first and make sure you get what you paid for in speed of CPU cause i didn't and are dumb ass for not knowing how to check this and would have returned it if i did!!
Most of the others on here have changed mobo or OC there CPU so it don't madder what they had when purchased (I was going to do the same and run at 3.0 or 3.2)
until seen this problem and wanted Dell to fix it before my warranty ran out.

Last edited by Daniel on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:37 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

Daniel wrote:
But my main problem is why do i have to make my CPU run at what it should have from factory? I paid for 2.4 not 1.6 .

If your cpu is not running @ the proper speed after disabling the Intel Speedstep feature, then I would say you have a problem. So the question is, did you disable the Intel Speedstep :?: Since your bios is saying 2.4GHz, that means that your cpu is capable of that speed. If you want CPUZ to show that, you have to disable Speedstep. We all had to do this ;)

Daniel wrote:
But why does the BIOS not control the CPU cause mine says Current CPU Freq, MHz 2400.0 CPU Multiplier 9X same for both Settings & Current Value. Now if that true then why?? is CPU running at 1600MHz at 6X??

The bios make sure all the hardware functions together, not control it. Intel Speedstep works in conjunction with the OS.
devjonfos had provided you the reason for that...please carefully read...
devjonfos wrote:
I will elaborate...This Intel feature was created to save energy usage that actually prolongs the cpu's life. Depending on the program you're using, Intel Speedstep (C1E) feature activates and makes the cpu operate at the required speed for the program. For example, when you play games, the speedstep feature will then cause the cpu to operate at full speed. When you're not playing games, or using an a program that does not require the full speed of the cpu, or when the cpu is idle, the speedstep feature will make the cpu operate at a slower speed, which is what you were experiencing. Here's a link to understand more about speedstep... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpeedStep

Daniel wrote:
This came from factory this way i just trying to let NEW people buying systems to check first and make sure you get what you paid for in speed of CPU cause i didn't and are dumb ass for not knowing how to check this and would have returned it if i did!!

You're not a dumb a#!$ for not knowing this feature. Many people are not aware of this feature, especially if you do not take the time to learn about pc components. Do not take offense to that statement...it's reality :) Dell did not do wrong for selling you a pc that has this feature for the cpu. If you do not like this feature, be upset with Intel ;)

Daniel wrote:
Most of the others on here have changed mobo or OC there CPU so it don't madder what they had when purchased (I was going to do the same and run at 3.0 or 3.2)
until seen this problem and wanted Dell to fix it before my warranty ran out.

Alot of us had swapped mobos because we are heavy OC'ers and have learned that the 630i stock mobo can not OC the cpu's that came with our systems. At the end of the day, it really does matter or we would never had learned more about the what the 630i stock mobo can and can not do. Aaahhh! Nothing like understanding computers...with or without the frustration. :mrgreen:

BTW...If you're only aiming for an OC of 3.0 to 3.2GHz, you can use the stock 630i mobo... http://www.my630i.com/resources/overclocking.html ;) If you want to OC that Q6600 much further, then you will have to upgrade the mobo.

Last edited by drBlahMan on Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:19 am 

Hi drBlahMan,

Ok i understand now how it runs i can't believe Dell tech did not tell me this when i called on this issue would have saved alot of confusion on my part ;) Yes it does run at the 2.4 with Speedstep disabled.

i trying to hit 3.0GHz and see if it will hold there need to get rear fan and install. :D
Yes would like new mobo, but with i7 out mite look at X58 board instead of 790 FTW it up in the air for now just want to see what stock mobo will do ;)

Thx for all the links will look into this and re-post back new settings if will take 3.0!!

[ 12 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion