Forum          FAQ

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion

[ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: XPS 630i Trashed Right out the Box!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:35 am 

:? I'm new to the Forum and this may not be the right place, but I really need to vent. I recently ordered an XPS 6301 to replace a worn-out XPS 600. I spec'ed the 6301i out with 3.0GHz, 1333FSB Quad Core/12MB Cache, Dual 4870 ATI Radeons in XFire, Dual 500 GB HDs in Raid, (Got a X-Fi Titanium Sound Card from another source to install), 4GB SDRAM at 800MHz....all wrapped up in stainless steel and red). It came today and with some apprehension (after reading all of the negatives on this Forum), I removed it from it's box....I've never seen a computer shrink-wrapped before! When I picked it up, I heard the most Gawdawful rattling inside the case....as I work on computers (Police Computer Forensics Analyst in the Computer Crimes Unit) I knew right away that this was not good. I popped open the side of the case and found the heat sink unit for the CPU detached from the CPU and the MoBo! I don't know if they didn't screw the screws tight enough, or what, but the whole, heavy, unit had been rattling around through all or most of the trip from Dell. The interior of the case looked like a war zone.......The fun began when I called Dell. Customer care said it was a Tech Problem and Tech said it was a Customer Care problem. Tech said they could only replace the damaged parts......I couldn't get them to understand that with that type of trauma, parts could be damaged and the damage not manifest itself until some time later. I told them that I didn't want a parts replacement, I wanted a unit replacement....they said that they couldn't do that, that I would have to talk to Customer Care. Customer Care said that they could only give me a refund.....I told them that I didn't want a refund, I just wanted my unit replaced AND NOT WITH A REFURB. They shot me back to Tech who shot me back to Customer Care, who then hung up on me. I actually managed to maintain my cool and did not even raise my voice. Started the call process and went through the same....I related to a Tech Supervisor that a bought a XPS 600 three years ago and when it arrived, it turned out to be a lemon. I called Support and had a replacement within five days. His reply was "Well, that was three years ago". Someone finally sent me to the Resolution Center where after talking to her Supervisor told me that a new, not refurbed replacement would be on it's way.

I have a question about the 630i.....Is it supposed to have a fan/fans attached to the rear screen? I see where there are mounting holes, but no fans?.......Sorry for the long post, but getting it out helped......Bill G

Post subject: Re: XPS 630i Trashed Right out the Box!
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:43 am 
Tech Guru
Tech Guru

First off, welcome to the forums!

Man, i gotta tell ya, Dell has gotten worse with customer service over the years, just like every other company. I would have raised hell if they didnt replace the unit. But you are one lucky person to get a new one. How can they say no? i mean really, they dont assemble the unit properly, and expect you to be stuck with it? I am glad you fought for your rights there buddy.

And to answer both your questions, yes this is a great place to vent. LOL

And secondly, i dont believe that it comes with a rear fan, i bought one for mine, its a 92mm fan.

2GB EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty
512GB Samsung 840 SSD
Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Post Posted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:52 am 

Hello Frontovik and welcome.

All I can say is wow, what a load of crap :o Its a real shame how Dell is treating their customers!

As far as your rear fan, you can check out this page: http://www.my630i.com/resources/mods.html Scroll down any you will see recommendatins for rear fans, which I think are easy to install.

I hope you have better luck on your new computer. Keep us posted.

Dean

W7 64bit Pro / Coolermaster 212+

Post Posted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:58 pm 

:) Well, Dell made good on their exchange....got it in six days and it appears to work fine right out of the box (thinking very positive thoughts). I spent my down time waiting for it, reading this Forum. I have a Gigabite Mobo recommended on this site, 2x2GB Corsair Ram, a rear case fan, and a good CPU heatsink/fan as recommended on the site. From what I have been reading, the Dell MoBo is the main culprit in the 630i's problems (that and voltage settings). I'm going to take my time and enjoy the mods. Thanks for putting together a really great resource....Bill G
OBTW.....This is the first site that I went to on the new box and the first message sent on it....more good JuJu I hope!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:38 am 

Glad to hear that they made good on the replacement.

500GB 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Vista 64
3DMark06: 17488
3DMark Vantage: P11419

Post Posted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:38 pm 

I would love to help you but i cannot get past they way you type.
Everything seems so Condensed/Congested..

Could only read a few lines before i had to stop. I mean no insult or offense.
Hope you don't talk like that. (Like the micro machine guy)

An empty line here or there would make it a lot easier to read.

But if your talking about dells customer support/Service. Its horrible.

1) There tech support seems to know less then a 16 year old with 2 years experience with a PC.

2) The on site techs are worse then the above. Read the boards here & dell for some horror story's.
Mine tried to change out the M.B sitting in my PC chair, with the case on his lap. that was a big no no. I had to treat him like a treat my children. As that was not bad enough
He left the thermal paste tube on the floor and i found my 1 year old trying to suck the paste out.

3) there shipping dept needs some work. The first 630i they sent me, Looked like it was punted for a 50 yard F.G.

EVGA GTX 470 SC SLI (Video Cards)
CM Storm Inferno (Mouse)
Ripjaws X 1600 (2 x 4GB) (Ram)
Logitech X-540 5.1 (Speakers)
CM690 II AdvancEd (Case)
ASUS SabeRtooth P67 (Motherboard)
Razer NoStromo & Zippy BL-741 (Gamepad & KB)
Win 7 Ultimate x64 (OS)
CM Silent Pro 1000W (Psu)
NoCtua NH-D14 (Cpu Cooler)

[ 6 posts ] 

Board index » Dell Discussion and Support Forums » XPS 630i - Dell XPS 630i / XPS 630 Resource Collective » Resource Collective Discussion