Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows XP

[ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: 16 bit apps will not install!
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:25 pm 

This 630i machine was obtained from my daughter who gave up on windows and went to the dark side (Apple MAC).

She was seriously hacked with a nasty worm that continually gave her BSOD. I rebuilt the system re-partitioning the drives to get the worm fully removed and installing the special drivers via a floppy.

The system is now up with XP PRO and service pack 3 and runs well. However, I have tried installing older 16 bit apps with no success. I have changed compatibility all the way back to Windows 95 and tried dropping color to 256 bits with no luck.

Specifically, I'm trying to install Adobe Photoshop 5.5 so I can install the upgrade to verson 7.0. I'm Also trying to install Quicken Deluxe with same issue. But, I fear any 16 bit app will fail to install.

Looking at the task manager, I see wowexec.exe, setup and install all trying to run below wuauclt.exe (windows update) with no success.

Any ideas? I'd like to remove an older slower machine from my network and give this to my wife to stop major bellyaching but need to get her older software installed so I can upgrade it.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: 16 bit apps will not install!
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:05 pm 

Here's an article at Microsoft that has some troubleshooting steps you can follow and see if this solves your problem. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324767

Kevin

8 GB of Corsair Ram
Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS
EVGA GTX 660 Ti SC
and other standard stuff :D

[ 2 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows XP