Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows XP

[ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Converting from Vista to XP: Problems: Help needed
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:02 am 

I have a new 630i. It was supposed to arrive with XP, but it did not. I got Dell to semd me an Installation disc of XP. My original discs had the drivers (or some of them) for XP. When I loaded XP, I found that it did not have a driver for the ATI HD 3870 card, and the ATI drivers did not recgnize the HD audio device in the card and did not install a driver for it.

After installation of all the drivers, the system was terribly unstable. I thought I gt around this by NOT loading the ATI video card drivers (while I am getting a new video card, the ATI 2600XT). But a couple of days later the BSOD's returned with a vengance. It would crash even in Safe Mode!.

It looks as if it is one of the NVidia NForce drivers. So, I removed all the Dell NForce drivers (they appear to be custom drivers) and got the NForce drivers from NVidia. These drivers SEEM to have corrected the crashing.

Has anyone else had trouble with system instability in XP? What drivers seem to be the correct ones?
-Tony

Post subject: Re: Converting from Vista to XP: Problems: Help needed
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:43 pm 

The best thing to do, especially when adding new hardware or switching to a different operating system is to clean out your old drivers before installing new ones.

XP and vista will have some default ati or nvidia drivers already installed, get rid of them, especially get rid of any dell drivers unless you have no other choice than to use them as they are always way outdated in my experience, getting the chipset drivers from nvidia was the right thing.

First thing though, use windows update to get your HD audio driver then reboot.

Then, download the latest ati 3870 drivers. (should be catalyst 8.7 at this time)

Download driver sweeper http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
Install the program, uninstall your nvidia chipset drivers using add/remove, also uninstall any ati drivers that you installed, then boot into safe mode, disconnect from the net then run the program.
Be sure to check the nvidia chipset and ati boxes, it will wipe out your drivers, then reinstall in this order.

#1 reinstall the nvidia chipset drivers that you already downloaded.
#2 ati 3870 driver

The reason to uninstall then reinstall your chipset drivers is due to old default drivers still being on your system along with the new ones, this will sometimes cause issues, driver sweeper clears it all up.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:06 am 

Hello,

Thanks for the help. This is actually a totally clean install on a freshly formatted disk. No old drivers at all. I am pretty sure the new NVidia drivers are stable. I have been using them for several days now, and they seem fine.

I also got a different video card to see if that was any different re: an unrecognized HD audio device on the card. I finally got that resolved (surprisingly by Dell Tech). It turned out that the ATI card (all ATI cards with HD audio?) need a separate driver to be installed. This requires the M$ UAA driver, then a very-hard-to-find ATI HD audio driver. It can only be found on a link from a link from the page with the ATI video drivers. There is no mention made of any possible need for manually installing any audio driver of any sort. Dell service was unaware of this too. But they eventually found the answer. Hooray!

-Tony

Post Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:17 am 

Yeah the newest nvidia drivers should work good without cleaning out any of the old ones from the install, windows has a set of default drivers to make your nvidia devices work out of the box or else it wouldn't install at all and ask for a driver disk just to see your hard drives.

I have read where the generic nvidia drivers have caused conflicts in the past but it's rare, I'm just anal about it I guess and clean everything out just to be on the safe side of things.

[ 4 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows XP