Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows XP

[ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Downgrading to XP
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:01 am 

XPS 630i
Intel Core2 processor Q8200 (2.4GHz,1333FSB) w/Quad Core Technology and 4MB cache
2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz - 2x1GB
NVIDIA GEFORCE 9800GT,SLI
320GB NCQ SATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB Data Burst Cache
X-Fi PCI Sound Card

My initial intention was to completely get rid of Windows Vista and strictly run Windows XP. I managed to use nLite to make a bootable Windows XP CD with the nVidia MediaShield drivers for the SATA as well as the SP2 update. With this new CD I no longer get the BSOD before the licence agreement and was able to completely format my hard drive and install the components for windows xp. However, after the first restart its supposed to bring up the next series of screens (where it actually installs and you have to put in your serial key and what not) I get the message "Error Loading Operating System."

From this point I decided to put in my Windows Vista CD, format again, and install a fresh copy of Vista. I figured the initial format may have over wrote some neccessary files needed to boot. So at this point I decided I would settle for a Dual Boot. I managed to setup the partitions (Vista as C: XP as D: and my CD-ROM as E:). I then started the Windows XP install on the clean partition and got to the same point. This time, however, when it gets to the "Boot From CD" it sits there blinking. It wont start the second series of install for Windows XP and I cant even press any key to start the boot from CD.

Also, I read on another forum (forget which website, sorry) that if you downgrade this machine to Windows XP, that SLI will not be supported due to some sort of conflict with the nVidia 650 Motherboard. Can anyone confirm?

If anyone could help, I would absolutely appreciate it. As mentioned before, I would prefer to run strictly windows XP but if I have to dual boot, I can suffice.

Post subject: Re: Downgrading to XP
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:35 pm 

Steam ID: devjonfos
Nocturnal84 wrote:
...Also, I read on another forum (forget which website, sorry) that if you downgrade this machine to Windows XP, that SLI will not be supported due to some sort of conflict with the nVidia 650 Motherboard. Can anyone confirm?...

I can verify that SLI works on my Windows XP partition. I was playing Crysis Wars on XP with my dual 8800 GT's SLI'd just last weekend. (GeForce 185.85 driver)

However, I have not reformatted (only resized) my original XP partition, so I can't help with nLite or the SATA drivers.

If you need a working partition while you're experimenting with the XP downgrade, you can still get the Windows 7 RC. The Windows 7 RC install to a separate partition was very easy and it had no problems recognizing my 500 GB (non-RAID) hard drive.

My XPS 630 Blog

Post subject: Re: Downgrading to XP
 Post Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:23 pm 

Mine came with XP installed, as I bought it with the XP downgrade package.

And XP can indeed do SLI or non-SLI with my 2 9800 GT's.

So whoever said that, would seem false.

[ 3 posts ] 

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows XP