Forum          FAQ

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows Vista

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Cheapest way to upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit?
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:33 pm 

LOL,

That made me laugh....

The ongoing saga:

To: ghstevenson@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, 10 February, 2009 12:53:47
Subject: Re: Case #: 20090210060014488 - Email Customer Care -Other (KMM19891087I57L0KM)

Dear Grant,

Thank you for contacting Dell online customer service.

This is to inform you that your order contains Vista Home premium 32 bit version. Hence, we cannot supply the CD for 62 bit version.

If you wish to obtain a CD for 62 bit version, kindly contact the retailer DSG or place a new order with Dell by contacting our sales department at 0844 907 5818 / 08709074000
or online at www.dell.co.uk.

I am sorry as we are not able to process your request in this regard.

Regards
Satish.SP
Dell Customer Service

Customer Service Frequently Asked Questions please log on to the below link:
For UK : www.dell.co.uk/help

So I sent back:

Hi,

I am after the OEM disk, not retail disk. I was informed that if I contacted Dell support this would be the case.
I have blue screens of death running the 32bit version, which is one of the reasons I was looking to change to see if the operating system or vista is to blame.

Aparantly from the forum I am reading it is your policy to send this FOC. Do I need to contact Chris Mixon at Dell for this to happen?

Regards

To which another nice polite response:

To: ghstevenson@yahoo.com
Sent: Tuesday, 10 February, 2009 13:47:00
Subject: Re: Case #: 20090210060014488 - Email Customer Care -Other (KMM19893229I57L0KM)

Dear Grant Stevenson,

As per our records I see that we have arranged 32bit OEM disk for your order. We cannot arrange the 62bit disk as this is not a part of your order.

Regards
Satish.SP
Dell Customer Service

To which I responded:

Hello,

I undesrstand your position on this, but as the end customer of one of your products which still has support I feel rather let down.
I purchased my Dell through a 3rd party, i.e. PC World 2 weeks ago. They must have done the pre-order. I am quite happy to return the machine to them as an unserviceable (i.e. broken) bit of equimpent, as I am fed up with Operating System crashing every hour or so. Currently, I have re-installed the 32bit operating system, and I have downloaded all the latest drivers, and it still blue screens of Death.

Extermely disapointed, as I belive the OEM version is free, and it is Dell that do not wish to supply this. I am happy to pay for the cost of burning the disk and postage, but do not see why I have to pay for a OEM licence.

If you are unwilling to change your stance, can you please inform me so that I can arrrange to reutrn this PC.

Regards

I think I know the response, it will be get lost as I bought it from PC world. But as they are ultimately responsible for the machine, I do not see why they should not send me the 64bit software. I am willing to pay postage package and costs!

I expect I will end up packing the PC up and giving it back to PC World to fight my corner. The only problemn there, is they wil probably keep it, and leave me without a decent machine while they fight the battle.

This time around, Dell are being unsupportive.....

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:40 pm 

I must check this with you. How much did you pay for the DVD you got from Dell?

In sweden they want the same price as it would cost me to buy the OEM version from a ordinary shop...

I also wanna know if you get a new product key with the DVD from Dell? Because if you get a key, then I can kinda understand why they take full price, but if it's without then I don't...

And I have also thought that the original key worked on any DVD with Dells OEM. Isn't it so?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:03 pm 

Hi Karlsson,

I am still pushing Dell for a response, I will lwt you know.

The OEM disk should not cost much, as it licensed to Dell. You should only have to pay for the disk, and postage £5 maximum.

From what I understand the OEM disk should come with a license built in, so there is no need to enter it. Your machine should have a sticker on it with a license key.

If the disk was a retail disk, it would come with a seperate license key which you need to enter.

HTH

Grant

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:13 pm 

Here's a little "support" trick that's sometimes helpful: don't keep beating the same horse.

That is to say, don't keep following up with the same support ticket. Open a new one and try again. Sometimes, it's just a matter of "calling back" until you get a support rep that's willing to help you. I can't guarantee success, but it looks like things aren't going well with whoever you've got already.

Definitely mention the Policy Document regarding O/S Swaps and that you were told by Dell that 64-bit Vista upgrade media should be available for computers shipped with 32-bit Vista.

500GB 7200RPM, SATA 3.0Gb/s, 16MB Cache
Vista 64
3DMark06: 17488
3DMark Vantage: P11419

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:01 pm 
Board Moderator
Board Moderator

I don't know if this will help any, but it is official:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dell XPS 8700 | Core i7 4770 3.4GHz | BIOS A11 | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit SP1 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 Sniper 1600MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SC | Dell S2340M 23" IPS LED | Seasonic 650W M12II-650 | Samsung SSD 850 EVO 1TB | Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB | ASUS Xonar DX 7.1 | ASUS DRW-24B1ST | Logitech G100S | Dell SK-8135 keyboard | Logitech Cordless Rumblepad 2

Post Posted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:12 pm 

grants wrote:
Hi Karlsson,

I am still pushing Dell for a response, I will lwt you know.

The OEM disk should not cost much, as it licensed to Dell. You should only have to pay for the disk, and postage £5 maximum.

From what I understand the OEM disk should come with a license built in, so there is no need to enter it. Your machine should have a sticker on it with a license key.

If the disk was a retail disk, it would come with a seperate license key which you need to enter.

HTH

Grant

Yes, that's what I also thought. Can anyone else also confirm this? (Free disc apart from shipping+small fee for disc etc). Same product key as the 32-bit version presintalled.

I have had a discussion about this on a swedish forum and I was ridiculed by a couple of users for be angry on Dell... they called me cheap for not wanna pay (full price) and so on... started to wonder if I had misunderstood the whole thing... :oops:

Post Posted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:11 am 

Hey guys,

I just registered to let you know the following. Sorry for bumping this thread.

I called with Dell Support NL about 3 days ago, and asked them for a 64 bit Windows Vista. After about 1 minute explaining why I wanted it (He was very much telling me it was useless and I shouldn't want and/or use a 64 bit Windows), he had a short talk with his manager. After his talk, which was about 30 seconds, he returned to me telling me that he would send it as soon as possible :-)

Haven't got it yet, but I don't think I'd have to wait too long...

Gautam

[ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Board index » General Discussions » OS Issues and Questions » Windows Vista